Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Your are the Master by one hour.

Yes, we did discuss this during winter testing.

Brian

raymondu999

About Vettel's tyre in Abu Dhabi; the official stance is no reason has been found, and debris is the suspected cause. But Vettel had a similar incident in Pirelli testing in winter last year in Abu Dhabi... http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2482 ... i-problem/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

I think this was all discussed last winter -the pilon and strings restricting front wing movement to determine the amount of flex needed to achieve favourable downforce levels vs speed /dynamic situation of the car.I think it makes sense to allow for a adaption of pretension on the fly so you can even optimise behaviour in transitions..Starting from a optimum experimentally settled behaviour you can than start to design /manufacture definite parts emulating this behaviour.It could well be that not ´two of the wings produced by RBR show the same amount of flex simply due to the fact that fibre orientation and layup precision is so critical...
and why it made sense to fly in parts after crashes..

the fact rbr and pirelli have concluded they will possibly never find out what happened to the tyre is very unsatisfying and in a ways unacceptable..as you possibly cannot take any precautions realistically.
One would think pressure data for the tyre is available and possibly also rideheight data ...both would ,sampling rates permitting allow for a analysis of what happened in a timecontext .I´d think you should be able to derive a lot from this .

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

raymondu999

What's that thing looking rearwards from the T-cam? Also what's that thing on top of the rain light?

I think Vergne is another example of why the young driver test doesn't work - his stability of 3 days in the car would mean the team are probably just using it for normal testing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

If the FIA don't like it they can just say no aero components that weren't run in the race.

dren

The teams need testing: testing new components and testing new drivers. This is a win win situation.
Honda!

hecti
hecti

dren wrote:The teams need testing: testing new components and testing new drivers. This is a win win situation.
couldnt agree more!! =D> =D>

bring back third car on friday please!!!!

MIKEY_!

YES PLEASE

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Third car on a Friday is a no brainer from a cost point of view.

The already transport the car to the race as a spare chassis, the just aren't allowed to put it together anymore. I can't imagine it would cost that much more to put the thing together and run it on a Friday. I'm sure as hell that cost would be less than doing a seperate test outside of a race weekend, especially when you take in to account the extra haulage costs, wages of testing team, additional fuel, circuit hire, etc. etc. Also, running a third car on a Friday might bring in extra sponsorship money depending on who the team run in the car.

Someone remind me, why did third cars on a Friday get banned? Sounds like yet another insane decision made under the guise of 'cost saving' :roll:

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:I didn't know if it's true, but i like this article :

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... hGVvK9ubvQ

It's not true re KERS being spread evenly around the lap. Have a look at Seb's onboard footage from Monza noting the KERS graphic on the left.

http://www.formula1.com/video/onboard/

Richard
Richard

The third car was banned because the big teams would use one for qulifation and another for the race. They would also use them as test mules. Essentially teams were running three cars at the weekend. That leads to more testing, more parts being tested, more parts being made, more mechanics to keep it all going etc.

This was also a time when teams would have an extra car at a test track. That's 4 cars in total.

I think the ban was to avoid unfair competition between big teams and the others, as well as trying to slow down the arms race.

So it's not just about the cost of assembling the car.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

richard_leeds wrote:The third car was banned because the big teams would use one for qulifation and another for the race. They would also use them as test mules. Essentially teams were running three cars at the weekend. That leads to more testing, more parts being tested, more parts being made, more mechanics to keep it all going etc.

This was also a time when teams would have an extra car at a test track. That's 4 cars in total.

I think the ban was to avoid unfair competition between big teams and the others, as well as trying to slow down the arms race.

So it's not just about the cost of assembling the car.
Okay, but surely it would be more logical to put rules in place to make sure the race drivers use the same chassis through the weekend (like engine rules), and that you can only bring 3 chassis to a race weekend.

I honestly can't believe running a third car on a friday could be more expensive than running private tests.

volarchico
volarchico

Did anyone mention the RB7's flappy front wing yet? I know Ferrari have gotten a lot of attention for having a wing so flexible that it oscillates and sparks, but during the race build up (or maybe it was before qualifying), the BBC showed the RB7 doing something very similar but at a slightly smaller amplitude.

Usually we would get a YouTube clip and a few still-shots analyzing such things and I didn't see that...or maybe I just missed it?

MuseF1
MuseF1

I saw this at Abu Dhabi too. It was doing it at the end of one of the long straights, but like you said volarchico, much smaller amplitude relative to the Ferrari. Not sure if i saw it in qualifying or the race, but its definately there.