McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
univex
univex

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I see this approach as different to RB. Where RB are directly speeding up the airflow by mixing the exhaust into the diffuser, Macca seem to be using the exhaust to create 'air skirts' that effectively widen the diffuser and create a bigger vacuum that also speeds up the air.
Two different approaches with similar outcomes. CFD would be guiding them as to what would be more effective.
We saw some of this last year with some teams, including RB, using deflectors to direct some of the exhaust behind the rear tires.
I believe Renault's FEE are being used as well to create air skirts similar to the rubber skirts of the seventies (Brabham?) that used to run the length of the car.
Last edited by univex on 25 Mar 2011, 10:47, edited 2 times in total.

boci
boci

thestig84 wrote:
fausto cedros wrote:Looks like the upgrade is working?
Yeah they look like they have got them back in the hunt. 1 and 2 right now in FP2 with 20mins to go and the DRS in race setting so not likely to be beaten. Saying that Vettel got within 0.160 not using the rear wing.

Good signs with so little running of the car overall let alone in this config.
Vettel was using the adjustable rear wing on his fastest lap.

I wonder if they are going to keep the diffuser white or are they going to paint it. Also wonder if the white stuff is a coating or is the entire thing made out of this white material.

wunderkind
wunderkind

What material is the diffuser made of? Why would they paint it silver if it is made of carbon fiber? The layer of silver paint would make it heavier and also it will have to withstand the heat from the exhaust pipes.

I am thinking the diffuser is not made of carbon fiber.....................

Hangaku

wunderkind wrote:What material is the diffuser made of? Why would they paint it silver if it is made of carbon fiber? The layer of silver paint would make it heavier and also it will have to withstand the heat from the exhaust pipes.

I am thinking the diffuser is not made of carbon fiber.....................
They painted it white so everyone can see the veins - assymetry-gate on F1T was getting out of hand!
Yer.

peroa
peroa

Apparently it is coated with this http://www.zircotec.com/
Easy on the Appletini!

Hangaku

I suppose it makes sense, considering they haven't run with this exhaust layout before - and the last thing they want to happen is for them to melt all their diffusers before race day! We may see them back to normal later...
Yer.

wunderkind
wunderkind

peroa wrote:Apparently it is coated with this http://www.zircotec.com/
that makes sense.

beelsebob
beelsebob

At this point I'd just like to say... Told you so :P

forty-two

Note the stripes of heat sensitive paint on the underside of the diffusor. I guess they're keeping a close eye on heat at the moment?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

I Love McLaren and I never lost faith like so many people. This is a championship winning car. The "upgradability factor" on it must be one of highest out of all of the competitors I can't wait to see the later revisions as the season progresses especially when they get that front wing sorted out as it's still a cm or two higher than the bulls.
Last edited by Steven on 01 Apr 2011, 19:13, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Your love for McLaren is off-topic in this technical thread

shelly
shelly

In the image aboe, thanks also tho grey-white color, there is a very intersting view of the diffuser. Are those in the center two very angled fins?
twitter: @armchair_aero

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

McLaren have not found all that speed from a new Exhaust Config layout IMO. I am not suggesting McLaren hasnt made any progress but Williams was P1 in most FP sessions in 2010 and wasnt no where near the front (Except for Hulkenbergs P1 in Qualy).

I think McLaren has had something up their sleeve all along because Whitmarsh said he was confident they would be 1 second quicker come Aussie. He didnt just pluck that figure out of the air?

I wonder if maybe McLaren have not found 1 second, but more the other teams have lost time due to this clarificaion by Ferrari as to what materials cant be used?

kalinka
kalinka

I really like that white diffusor. Also it's a nice and clean, not overly complicated design. I hope they'll never paint it (leave it) black.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

What is interesting is that McLaren have put on a new solution and found a bag full of time. This makes me wonder if they actually had the RB-style exhaust in development after the first test "just in case".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

feynman
feynman

As a huge fan of the white exhaust pipes from the late 60s, I for one approve very much of this diffuser. All cars look better with something white and heat-resistant bolted near the back. It's a rule.

Of side-interest: Seeing this new diffuser has only two vanes, one either side and out wide, it does look quite a lot like the left hand side of the 'half-and-half' floor that was argued about pages ago - that whole optical-illusion versus McLaren mixed-mode combination testing, anyone possibly thinking about switching horses?