Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Rory Byrne is a graduate from Witwatersrand university in Johannesburg.

Adrian Newey has a degree in aeronautics.

Aldo Costa, Paddy Lowe and Bob Bell, they are all engineers.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 13 Jul 2010, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trolling (mild)
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Thanks for the link on Zander Marcush.

As Mercedes also have their own wind tunnel why is it that Renault can churn out 18 different variants of a front wing compared to Mercedes who have had 4 very very small mods. We then have Mercedes also being the team with the most simple rear wing design of all. With alot of pundits believing this to have some effect on straight line speed, a W01 achilles heel. Again Renault appear to have a better and more effiecient example.

I use Renault as they were in a bad spot last year which affected this years car. Renault's "will they wont they" behaviour had some effect yet it seems that as the year has gone on, they knuckle down and produce the goods.

We could say "budgets" but Renault is also being run on a shoestring from what I can tell. Maybe Mercedes just need clear air at a GP so we can see what pace the car has in race conditions with all the updates that were added at Canada.

But for Renault to be oputpacing Mercedes in the development stakes must be of a concern to Stuttgart and Brawn.
More could have been done.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Note by mods: please, anyone wishing for a fight, go outside.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 13 Jul 2010, 05:28, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Trolling
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:...Barnard had constant urge to throw up when he had to work on what Brunner had left ...but he was not able to come up with something a lot more efficient when he finally did all Barnard designs..and thats not even accounting for the money spent..
Brunner should not be mentioned the same week as John Barnard, an engineer with a masterful gift of the innovative, carbonfibre monocoque, Porsche compact engine, the canard wings, hydraulic gearbox, the high nose, flextures, carbonfibre gearbox, you name it. Gawd how I miss the man.

And JET, Murray's work at MrE's team is even more fabled, but what the heck, he's white so he must be bad no?

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:Rory Byrne is a graduate from Witwatersrand university in Johannesburg, but don't tell Islam for God's sake!

maybe ,you look there ,a cool snippet from peter wright,i feel this says it all:

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00223.html

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:
marcush. wrote:...Barnard had constant urge to throw up when he had to work on what Brunner had left ...but he was not able to come up with something a lot more efficient when he finally did all Barnard designs..and thats not even accounting for the money spent..
Brunner should not be mentioned the same week as John Barnard, an engineer with a masterful gift of the innovative, carbonfibre monocoque, Porsche compact engine, the canard wings, hydraulic gearbox, the high nose, flextures, carbonfibre gearbox, you name it. Gawd how I miss the man.

And JET, Murray's work at MrE's team is even more fabled, but what the heck, he's white so he must be bad no?
I really really have that very feeling ,I love Barnard for the detail for what he brought into F1 as he was the guy who had this attention to detail... and he was the one who started with the layout of the shopfloor to bring the company into a position to produce this kind of work we see todays.
Still his Ferraris were not really setting the pace ,and at Bennetton,Arrows,Prost
he was not producing winning cars anymore ..sadly.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

xpensive wrote: And JET, Murray's work at MrE's team is even more fabled, but what the heck, he's white so he must be bad no?
:lol: :lol:
By one particular posters logic yes!!!

By every other sane posters logic(going out on a limb here)...HELL NO!
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

Barnard became a legend with the 81 to 88 McLarens, the Ferrari 640/641, the high-nose Benetton and the gorgeous 1998 Arrows.

He made an ass of himself with the 1996/1997 Ferrari, I give you that marcush.

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Barnard became a legend with the 81 to 88 McLarens, the Ferrari 640/641, the high-nose Benetton and the gorgeous 1998 Arrows.

He made an ass of himself with the 1996/1997 Ferrari, I give you that marcush.
Well, he left McLaren (if I remember correctly) around 1986.
High-nose Benetton came later than Tyrrell, and B192 (the shark-nose) was actually a Byrne's puppy.

marcush.
marcush.

but he was inventing carbon gearbox at Arrows ...and was the only one mastering that for a long time...
I do admire the man ,really !!!!!!

But we have to face reality for one or another reason his work was not really successfull in terms of winning from the late 80s,so in effect when leaving Mclaren.
which really is a surprise.

But back to the merc

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

marcush. wrote:
xpensive wrote:Rory Byrne is a graduate from Witwatersrand university in Johannesburg, but don't tell Islam for God's sake!

maybe ,you look there ,a cool snippet from peter wright,i feel this says it all:

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00223.html
Many thanks for that link. Most articles about him say he qualified as an Engineer. Though he did end up with an honorary doctorate in Mech Eng from Wits.

marcush.
marcush.

well even a quick google sometimes unearthes really nice things...but looking for gold ,you usually have to dig in deeper..

really interesting bit about how byrne and Brawn worked hand in hand at benneton ,and how Brawn was more into detail design and organisational things whereas Byrne was the conceptual thinker and more concentrating on aero..
Last edited by marcush. on 29 Jun 2010, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

Indeed timbo, mea culpa, he engineered the 1987-88 Ferrari turbos as well, while the origin of the raised nose was Newey's March.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

To raise, or not raise....its still the question! :lol:
David Purley

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Indeed timbo, mea culpa, he engineered the 1987-88 Ferrari turbos as well, while the origin of the raised nose was Newey's March.
Not too successful Ferraris)
640 was good, however.
And 412 T1 and T2 were beauties! 412T2 was a great chassis, on par with Williams, but suffered from suboptimal V12 and unreliability.

I think Barnard's problem was that he wasn't keen on creating and organizing a proper design team as well as developing his cars.

That's why his tally is not so impressive as Brawn/Byrne's or Newey's.