Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Juzh wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 13:43
Andi76 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 15:58
I just came across this article, maybe it is of interest :

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... jveRZ.html

Its about the exhaust and wastegate improving the downforce of the beamwing/diffuser/rearwing, suggesting its a new developement area in 2022. Because the way it works is basically the same as the blown diffusors, i will call it "blown-beamdiffs". The exhaust is angled upwards, while being at level with the lower beamwing, pulling more airflow up towards the underside of the rearwing, giving more flow to the underside of the rearwing, creating a bigger pressure difference between the upper and lower side of the wing, which results in more downforce being created. Next this stronger upwash effect, the wastegate blows directly on top of the diffuser, both improving the performance of the diffuser.

The article suggests, as the wastegate is only open when the driver is off-throttle, that this effect has been made so powerfull by the teams(at least Red Bull and Ferrari), that the spins of Verstappen at Hungary and Leclerc at France, were a result of this. Tyres were fully loaded up, drivers get on throttle, the wastegate stops "blowing", a sudden loss of downforce and they spun.

As Adrian Newey and Rory Byrne(who was involved as an adviser in the design of the F1-75) both are well-known for the use of exhaust gases to maximise aerodynamics, there may be some truth in this article. And maybe this is an aera of developement worth watching.
Something is not right in this article. Since 2022 wastegates have once again been mandated to join with main exhaust and no longer have their own tail pipes, so it's not possible what they are saying. I think the pipe that's been pointed at on the image is a breather pipe for excess oil that's been mandated to exit out the back since 2018 (oil burning fiascos). Also, despite this coupling you can still hear wastegates being open from the off-board shots when drivers go full throttle exiting a corner.
I was thinking exactly the same in the first place. But since this is from formula1 itself, i thought i maybe have missed a change to the regulations.

Andi76
Andi76

iichel wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 11:53
The floor on Sainz's car, after the contact with Hamilton. Reference is Leclercs car.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/x6ag05

https://preview.redd.it/smaunmthxzl91.j ... 05fe18c3da

https://preview.redd.it/l73ypmthxzl91.j ... 4e2f42dcf2
Even more intersting about this picture is the low ride height Ferrari obviously is able to use. This makes Ferraris loss of performance in the races a real mystery to me. They obviously do not need to set up their car higher, as they should if TD39 would have a negative impact on their car...

organic

Andi76 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 18:05
iichel wrote:
The floor on Sainz's car, after the contact with Hamilton. Reference is Leclercs car.

Even more intersting about this picture is the low ride height Ferrari obviously is able to use. This makes Ferraris loss of performance in the races a real mystery to me. They obviously do not need to set up their car higher, as they should if TD39 would have a negative impact on their car...
Think it's more complicated than just a simple ride height problem. Their main advantage through the season has gone which was traction, as has their compliance on bumps. Seems they are having to run stiffer recently as I see no other reason for them to be doing it. Perhaps forced to by TD039.. and with stiffness you gain no advantage from having to run high & stiff, so they now run low & stiff (more like merc than before)

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 18:07
Andi76 wrote:
iichel wrote:

Think it's more complicated than just a simple ride height problem. Their main advantage through the season has gone which was traction, as has their compliance on bumps. Seems they are having to run stiffer recently as I see no other reason for them to be doing it. Perhaps forced to by TD039.. and with stiffness you gain no advantage from having to run high & stiff, so they now run low & stiff (more like merc than before)
It's likely that all teams are running a tad stiffer and/or higher after TD039 simply to avoid rubbing the plank as much now that the FIA will be nit picking the plank wear.

Andi76
Andi76

organic wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 18:07
Andi76 wrote:
iichel wrote:

I have thought a lot about Ferraris performance loss in the race, and i think there are several reasons for that. The root of the performance loss in my opinion is not only TD39, but its indeed is the root of the problem.

Because of the new TD Ferrari has to run , like you already said, a stiffer suspension setup. This has an effect on contact frequencies, which is, next to the tyre temperature, one of the most important factors of how to make use of the tyre. Tyre temperature and contact frequency work in opposing directions. As temperatures rises the compound becomes softer. As contact frequencies rises, the compound becomes harder. So the higher the contact frequency, the more temperature you need to compensate in order to keep the tyre at its intended softness. Contact frequency is about how the loads react uppon the rubber, and because its a visco-elastic material, its not consistent. Up to a point the rubber will accept incoming energy and react against it, trying to spring back in the opposing direction to the load and thereby creating grip. Beyond that point the tyre cannot regain shape quickly enough to absorb the next input of load. This has the effect of stiffening and hardening the compound, breaking the process down and causing the tyre to slide. And that would explain the difference in performance between qualifying and race. The contact frequencies have gone out of the window and while its good for one fast lap, heating up the tyre quickly, after a few laps the tyre gets beyond that point.

I think the cause is indeed TD39, because Ferrari has to setup their car differently(probably higher at the front). This has resulted in a loss of downforce, what also changed the balance of the car(the drivers complained a lot about the cars balance recently, while they always said how well balanced the F1-75 was before) and the loads on the suspensions. An important factor in suspension design is the loads and if these loads change, this can result in a lot of problems. Understanding the implications and the changes necessary is not an easy thing to do. So, in simple words i think the TD39 has forced Ferrari to use a stiffer suspension setup and a higher front ride height, what resulted in a loss of downforce, different aerodynamic loads, a different balance of the car and different loads on the suspensions of course, that now do no longer work as intended.

A massive effort would be needed to understand and improve all these negative effects and maybe the changes needed would need a complete redesign of some major components(as the changes needed are not possible with the parts available as its out of their operational window - so TD39 has probaby completely corrupted Ferraris philosophy).

To be honest - i really think Ferrari is already focused completely on 2023 and they are right to do so, especially if the rumour is true that Ferrari is not able to run their powertrain with "full-power" since its upgrade in Belgium. It is said that for reliability reasons they run their powertrains with less power in the race. This would also make the difference in performance between qualifying and race reasonable. Because of the homologation they were forced to upgrade the engine, even it the upgraded engine is not reliable yet and now they have less power than before. I do not know if thats true, its a rumour i have heard.

Its also said that Ferrari is close to the budget cap already(in terms of developement, what would explain the lack of updates). Even if this leaves another question open and debattable: how is it possible that Mercedes and Red Bull are able to constantly bring updates to their cars, while Ferrari is only able to do a few upgrades? There are only two possibilities -either there are major losses in Ferraris System what makes developement expensive or some teams get around the budget cap. I do not mean to imply a break of the rules of some teams or one team having huge losses in its system, but its the only two options unfortunately.

aleks_ader

Andi that would make sense. High freq makes compound work against it. And loss of DF makes it even worse. So 1 lap perf is not hurting as much. if i m understand correctly said effect happens during couple of laps right?

Anyway development from now on should be 2023 focused. And made it highly experimental. Blow the engines if necessarily. At same time make 3rd place in WCC and bag more CFD.

Conceptual effects of RB package should became prime objective to study. Leave bathtub as is and glean heavy into underfloor shape, midwing and undercutt i suppose. All that should be tested on SITU on car this year.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

iichel
iichel

Andi76 wrote:
iichel wrote:

The low ride height might be slightly exaggerated since the car is in a right roll, since it's in a left hand corner it seems.

Juzh

Andi76 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 01:40
To be honest - i really think Ferrari is already focused completely on 2023 and they are right to do so, especially if the rumour is true that Ferrari is not able to run their powertrain with "full-power" since its upgrade in Belgium. It is said that for reliability reasons they run their powertrains with less power in the race. This would also make the difference in performance between qualifying and race reasonable. Because of the homologation they were forced to upgrade the engine, even it the upgraded engine is not reliable yet and now they have less power than before. I do not know if thats true, its a rumour i have heard.
Since Monza 2020 this is no longer possible. Whatever ICE mode you use in Q1 you're then stuck with for the rest of the weekend. I don't believe they're running at reduced peak mgu-k output but they could be struggling on overall deployment. This is hard to quantify however as RB has the edge for entire season already, so much more analysis would be required to confirm this theory.

If they're running with overall reduced ICE power then they're doing it for both quali and race. That could be possible at least, but I'm not entirely sure. Perez was unable to overtake Sainz in zandvoort from 7 tenths back, whereas Verstappen was cruising past mercedes from that distance. Basically against mercedes RB was able to overhaul 7 tenths deficit, against ferrari only 5 tenths.

wesley123
wesley123

Juzh wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 14:01
Since Monza 2020 this is no longer possible. Whatever ICE mode you use in Q1 you're then stuck with for the rest of the weekend.
You can only turn it down(for reliability), not up.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

chrisc90

wesley123 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 22:13
Juzh wrote:
Since Monza 2020 this is no longer possible. Whatever ICE mode you use in Q1 you're then stuck with for the rest of the weekend.
Isnt that a bit like being able to turn it up? You might aswell just have a quali engine mode that is super fast, but turn it down for reliability come the race. That way you can have a easy Q1 and Q2 and go full unleash in Q3, have a easy race.

Sorry for the OT post.

Sevach
Sevach

chrisc90 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 22:15
wesley123 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 22:13
Juzh wrote:
Isnt that a bit like being able to turn it up? You might aswell just have a quali engine mode that is super fast, but turn it down for reliability come the race. That way you can have a easy Q1 and Q2 and go full unleash in Q3, have a easy race.

Sorry for the OT post.
There are strict paramenters of how this engine saving mode can work, you can't have a mode that is say 3% less powerfull.

Basically you can only afford to use it under the (V)SC.

Andi76
Andi76

An interesting article about Ferrari may returning to the pre-France-floor at Monza and how they want to find out why the lost performance and load :

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-to-run ... -gp-floor/

Its a possibility, it worked in France yes, but in all the other races there race performance went downhill. This floor has less outwash and changed the loads. Its possible that this can be the "devil" that causes all the problems. But of course its also possible, like i already said in my previous post, that its TD39 that has hurt Ferrari. In hope of exciting races i hope Ferrari can solve the problem and does not become another "Mercedes W13".

Vanja #66

Wasn't something about suspension changed as well?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 08:56
There were some speculations about suspension after the summer break, but nothing official AFAIK.

nemanja
nemanja

FDD wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 09:19
Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 08:56
There were some speculations about suspension after the summer break, but nothing official AFAIK.
Maybe they would like to keep it that way...