Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes GP W02

^^ Thank you :)

The car is still really high off the ground

Ferraripilot

Thanks JET. It's really tough to tell by looking at it what they are doing differently still. It's definitely still very high off the ground but the front wing could be indicative of a tiny bit more rake to the car. Could they have softened yet raised the rear end a bit (changing the camber slightly) while lowering yet stiffening the front end....

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
marcush. wrote:maybe they got asked:
what is the difference between barcelona and Melbourne spec?
We did this and that improvement
Did you back to back test the test specification to the improvements?
No
So go and do that...Board meetings tend to be straightforward especially when you cannopt prove something black and white.
You reckon a board meeting dictated the current W02 guise?

I say they knew what worked before and what had undoubted pace, and added some "enhancers" and got stuck. Reverese engineered and hey presto, back in the mix :)
Although its still far to early to say as Mercedes traditionally do well friday only for everything to fall to pieces on saturday.

Their news that the fuel loads where far heavier than normal is music to my ears!
I agree, a decision like this made in a board meeting with Mercedes? I don't believe that. Sounds like a logical engineering decision.
Honda!

marcush.
marcush.

the pattern in 2010 usually was :with less grip available the car showed less of it´s deficits.
And :Schumacher saidf they changed their Friday approach starting now with Full tanks doing their setup and work down whereas they started before on low fuellevels -indicating it was not the grip but the weight that helped them shining till today..

As for the decision to go back to the barca status seems not logical to me ..for that sort of decision you would not need 3 races ,would you? As soon as you realise you cannot translate from testing to racing you check what´s different first ...and you would start with the conditions and the hardware first.As you cannot change the condtions the checking of the hardware has priority...If they could for some reason not go back ...that would be a real real hit right between the eyes.
But anyways big heads in these companies do actually interfere with technical decisions and they don´t care if this is appropriate or useful -they order it no debating ..I had that ..and more than once.If they interfered in my field they do that with absolute certainty whgen things are as public as they are in F1.I can´t prove it happened with the floor obviously ..and if I could I would not be able to confirm it anyways.. :mrgreen:

Predator

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Med4224

so i guess Mercedes just silenced everyone
pretty epic :-)

up to 3rd fastest team in one week..

if it wasn't for Michael's DRS problem...
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

atanatizante

Med4224 wrote:so i guess Mercedes just silenced everyone

Not to mention that the Rosberg`s time in Q3 was set on a scrubbed sets of soft tyre, previously used in the time of Petrov`s incident!

But it seems that for some teams (eg.Red Bull), the fastest time was set in the second hot lap, isn`t it?

On other forum they said is it a rumor that Michael has also KERS problems ...
It would have been great if we could see on board footage to check that!

Another fact is that he has had issues also with warming the tyre specially with the front ones, last year was the same issue ... IMHO is related to the circuit or maybe the cold weather?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

marcush.
marcush.

MS clearly admitted it was only him to blame ,he just got it wrong under the frantic activity to post a decent time.
We have to take this at face value- I think Schumacher would not want to blame his guys when Rosberg was quick as expected for the first time...

roadwarrior
roadwarrior

marcush. wrote:MS clearly admitted it was only him to blame ,he just got it wrong under the frantic activity to post a decent time.
I don't think so. Both MS and RB said he has problems with the DRS causing him problems on turn 14.
"What a shame for me today as we have clearly demonstrated this weekend that as a team we have improved a lot," said the former champion. "Nico proved that strongly with his fourth place which was our realistic target.

"I didn't quite get my lap together in Q2 and since then we have found out that my rear wing was not functioning correctly as I was braking into Turn 14.

"I am obviously hoping to have a strong start and that we have good race pace tomorrow so I can hopefully make up some positions."

Team boss Ross Brawn said he was disappointed that Schumacher had been unable to show what he could really do.

"The car has been much better this weekend and both drivers were in a good position going into qualifying today," Brawn said.

"It's a shame for Michael this afternoon as it didn't quite work out with the red flag and then his rear wing malfunctioned at the end of his crucial lap costing valuable time."

Francesc
Francesc

atanatizante wrote:
Med4224 wrote:so i guess Mercedes just silenced everyone

Not to mention that the Rosberg`s time in Q3 was set on a scrubbed sets of soft tyre, previously used in the time of Petrov`s incident!
Maybe that little usage made the tyres better, specially for the last sector, were they start to go off.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Im heartened by the teams showing this weekend so far. The car has some real pace, but I await to see if the tyres will last in race trim.

Seems cooler ambient tempratures allow the short wheel base design, with its tightly packaged cooling, to do as intended.
Brawn has said they have solutions so as not to compromise performance again. I wonder what compromises are needed that makes them that slow?

Either way, I just hope we have a series of cool races :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

analist01
analist01

Their is indeed an improvement with Rosberg driving an oustanding P4. Schumacher def would have been in Q3, but he made that fatal error in the last corner where he didnt brake good and the balance wasn't their and he missed the corner. Shame, but rosberg out their before the ferrari's and just slightly behind the Mclarens.

Rosberg so far did not have the best starts, but tomorrow he must show courage and try to pass hamilton before the first corner....Im excited for tomorrow.

marcush.
marcush.

roadwarrior wrote:
marcush. wrote:MS clearly admitted it was only him to blame ,he just got it wrong under the frantic activity to post a decent time.
I don't think so. Both MS and RB said he has problems with the DRS causing him problems on turn 14.
"What a shame for me today as we have clearly demonstrated this weekend that as a team we have improved a lot," said the former champion. "Nico proved that strongly with his fourth place which was our realistic target.

"I didn't quite get my lap together in Q2 and since then we have found out that my rear wing was not functioning correctly as I was braking into Turn 14.

"I am obviously hoping to have a strong start and that we have good race pace tomorrow so I can hopefully make up some positions."

Team boss Ross Brawn said he was disappointed that Schumacher had been unable to show what he could really do.

"The car has been much better this weekend and both drivers were in a good position going into qualifying today," Brawn said.

"It's a shame for Michael this afternoon as it didn't quite work out with the red flag and then his rear wing malfunctioned at the end of his crucial lap costing valuable time."
The MS reaction was obviously before that analysis and speaks volumes about Mr.Schumacher who starts first questioning himself before laying the blame at his teams door =D>
Not your usual F1 crying babe ..right?
Last edited by marcush. on 16 Apr 2011, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

All credit to Schuey for taking the blame initially.

But what do Mercedes have to do to get the blinking DRS working?
More could have been done.
David Purley