Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

drunkmunky wrote:2 sides of the same coin imo.
Not at all – the different line into and out of corners is nothing to do with aero performance, it's purely and simply a case of putting the care in a position that stops the other guy getting along side. Aero effects complement this, but they don't cause it, and they're not the other side of the same coin.

beelsebob
beelsebob

ringo wrote:And i presume this thing is on bearings and stays level?
I notice the shape is not circular, so if it were to rotate there would be a spiral wave of air coming out the wheel.

If it does stay level, you could say a steady stream comes out.

One thing though, this hole does not share the same duct as the brakes. The flow would not go through the brakes much if it can easily flow through this big hole in the wheel. The air pressure wont be able to build and pump through the brakes.
Well, it could share the same duct – if the two are essentially connected in series. If the air that's flowed through the brake disk goes on to flow through the axle, and out the end of the wheel, it could work nicely. It may even have the effect of sucking more air through the breaks, and cooling them better, because you have a nice low pressure zone outside the wheel.

drunkmunky
drunkmunky

beelsebob wrote:
drunkmunky wrote:2 sides of the same coin imo.
Not at all – the different line into and out of corners is nothing to do with aero performance, it's purely and simply a case of putting the care in a position that stops the other guy getting along side. Aero effects complement this, but they don't cause it, and they're not the other side of the same coin.
Yes. aero effect has an impact on overtaking. for me. that's 2 sides of the same coin. my opinion.

PlatinumZealot

The hole is simply part of a stationary spindle that connects to the upright. Older rear wheel drive cars had stationary spindles with the wheel bearings pressed over them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

stefan_
stefan_

Mario Keszeli ‏@techF1LES

Two versions of Williams' blown wheel nuts (both have been already tested during the first test in Barcelona):

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 2 (01.03.2013)

AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

roadie

If that's flow viz around the exhaust, I look forward to seeing other shots with where and how well it's attaching to the floor area.

stefan_
stefan_

Forza

Top view of FW35 at BCN T03 - day 2

roadie

Ace pictures guys. Follow the temperature sensors for exhaust plume route I guess.
Driver: Pastor Maldonado
Chassis / engine: FW35-01 / RS27-5409/3
Objectives: Tyre testing and aero evaluations
Weather: Cloudy with some rain, dry in the afternoon
Air & track temps: 7-11ºC / 6-13ºC

Mike Coughlan, Technical Director: This morning was effected by rain, but this afternoon we managed to get some running in to start working through our aero evaluation work which we had planned for this test. This afternoon we also did a standard fuel run-out test to check against our data; the results were as expected. We now hope to complete some further dry running as we make our final preparations before Australia.

Pastor Maldonado: We didn’t manage to complete our entire programme because of the rain today, but we still did 75 laps with the track improving towards the end of the afternoon. I had a good feeling in the car but we still have things we can improve. This afternoon we were able to complete some aero evaluations, with particular focus on trying some different front wings. We now have enough data to make some decisions on that, so I’m looking forward to getting some dry running in over the weekend.

The Williams F1 Team will be back on track tomorrow, Saturday 2 March, with Pastor Maldonado driving in the morning session and Valtteri Bottas driving the afternoon session for the third day of the test.
- See more at: http://www.williamsf1.com/Team/Media/Ne ... Q6Cux.dpuf

Seamus
Seamus

@f1technical

AMuS have learned that Williams will introduce a ramp-style exhaust tomorrow, following Lotus and RBR, two other Renault powered teams

roadie

Wow that could be interesting! A completely different look for the FW35! I wonder if that will require any changes at the front of the car given the change in airflow at the rear?

Let's see!

Francesc
Francesc

roadie wrote:Wow that could be interesting! A completely different look for the FW35! I wonder if that will require any changes at the front of the car given the change in airflow at the rear?

Let's see!
I'm sure the new front wing with the very high nose they had on the launch was aimed to work with the new sidepods/exhausts hence we haven't seen it alot. They have been running nearly all the time with last years wing and Jerez nose until this afternoon where they have run with the new front wing/highest nose.

joseff

Any more pics of the high nose? I only see one on this thread.

If it really is a 625mm nose, I wonder why the other teams aren't making any noise about it, as it seems to make a bigger difference than the exhaust fins.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/01/30/an ... /nose_625/

wesley123
wesley123

Why should they? it is fully legal
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender