McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL35M

dsdevries wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 20:20
Copying from the Team Thread, picture by shinekraj

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202102 ... 04d34f.jpg

Even though the angles may be slightly different and the MCL35M might be a bit stretched out (I would have expected the front wing to match perfectly... Although the MCL35 picture is showing the old nosecone)... The increase in Wheelbase is fairly visible and considerable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought that for the 2021 season, because of Covid-19 and the effect this had on budgets, the teams agreed that it wouldn’t be allowed to change the chassis. Therefore, any change in wheelbase would have to come from the suspension setup. I highly doubt that this would be a viable option.
McLaren use of the 2 available tokens to install the Mercedes PU allowed them to make chassis changes behind the B-B line (behind the cockpit) if they could proof to the FIA that such changes were necessary for the installation... Those plans had to be discussed with the FIA and approved, it is clear that FIA approved the changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 23:48
dsdevries wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 20:20
Copying from the Team Thread, picture by shinekraj

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202102 ... 04d34f.jpg

Even though the angles may be slightly different and the MCL35M might be a bit stretched out (I would have expected the front wing to match perfectly... Although the MCL35 picture is showing the old nosecone)... The increase in Wheelbase is fairly visible and considerable.

I thought that for the 2021 season, because of Covid-19 and the effect this had on budgets, the teams agreed that it wouldn’t be allowed to change the chassis. Therefore, any change in wheelbase would have to come from the suspension setup. I highly doubt that this would be a viable option.
McLaren use of the 2 available tokens to install the Mercedes PU allowed them to make chassis changes behind the B-B line (behind the cockpit) if they could proof to the FIA that such changes were necessary for the installation... Those plans had to be discussed with the FIA and approved, it is clear that FIA approved the changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homologation regs (Page 100) https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_1.pdf allow for ‘token free’ changes to be made to the floor and plank assembly for a change in wheelbase length for all teams

I guess this has something to do with the reduction-down force measures incase teams felt it necessary to amend

When you read the restrictions, it’s more the individual components themselves such as the survival cell, gear box or radiators that are homologated, not the way the car is packaged or the things that context them such as pipping or shafts

PhillipM
PhillipM

dsdevries wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 23:25
You don't need to change the chassis, you just move the gearbox and rear suspension mounts backwards.

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

The team had the floor with the L-shaped bodywork coming out before the rear tires on the car yesterday. The article says they ran this floor at Austria last season. Will we see floors with different bits at the end for testing on the car?

Link:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... n=widget-1

cheeRS
cheeRS

adrianjordan wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 07:09
cheeRS wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 05:51
Interesting - if not surprising - that this is a long wheelbase (LWB) car like the Mercs of and recent RP. I think that this bodes very, very wheel for the MCL35B. Due to the reduced floor area this year, a logical (and legal) way to claw some of that area back is to have a longer wheel base, which clearly stretches the available area between the F/R wheels out. People moaned and complained about the Pink Merc last year, but it certainly delivered for RP. Now a third team adopting the LWB/MERC concept? I like it very much. Speculation of course, but I see a strong podium or even a win(s) in store for the Woking team this year. :hope:

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 23:33
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202102 ... 68b941.jpg

People weren't complaining because RP copied the Merc LWB concept. They were complaining because they copied the whole blooming car!!!
I know what you're saying, but since last year I've taken the stance (on RP specifically) that if it's legal and it's performant, only a fool would ignore it. Maybe it's not legal anymore to 'copy' a whole car, but the LWB/Low Rake philosophy is still available to all teams. Yet, only Merc had this concept until 2020 anyway. But lots of other teams, McLaren included for some weird reason kept trudging along with the high rake concept. Ironically, it has taken until the very end of the current regs for other teams to realize Merc might actually have been right all along with the LWB, not just the engine.

I don't knock RP[AMR] or McLaren at all for this. I think it's super promising for McL to have produced the 35M and genuinely (I know it's early still) think they have a race winner. :D
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

cheeRS wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 07:21
adrianjordan wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 07:09
cheeRS wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 05:51
Interesting - if not surprising - that this is a long wheelbase (LWB) car like the Mercs of and recent RP. I think that this bodes very, very wheel for the MCL35B. Due to the reduced floor area this year, a logical (and legal) way to claw some of that area back is to have a longer wheel base, which clearly stretches the available area between the F/R wheels out. People moaned and complained about the Pink Merc last year, but it certainly delivered for RP. Now a third team adopting the LWB/MERC concept? I like it very much. Speculation of course, but I see a strong podium or even a win(s) in store for the Woking team this year. :hope:

People weren't complaining because RP copied the Merc LWB concept. They were complaining because they copied the whole blooming car!!!
I know what you're saying, but since last year I've taken the stance (on RP specifically) that if it's legal and it's performant, only a fool would ignore it. Maybe it's not legal anymore to 'copy' a whole car, but the LWB/Low Rake philosophy is still available to all teams. Yet, only Merc had this concept until 2020 anyway. But lots of other teams, McLaren included for some weird reason kept trudging along with the high rake concept. Ironically, it has taken until the very end of the current regs for other teams to realize Merc might actually have been right all along with the LWB, not just the engine.

I don't knock RP[AMR] or McLaren at all for this. I think it's super promising for McL to have produced the 35M and genuinely (I know it's early still) think they have a race winner. :D
I think its the floor changes that forced the mclaren (and i bet some other teams as well) to adopt the low rake philosophy.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

f1rules
f1rules

another picture of the bargeboards sorry, its been covered i know, but someone was nice enough to put the two pics together of launch vs test, and to my surprise, they did not just update the bargeboards, like they did many times last year, no they changed the height which is surprising, given the front is the same, and so the flow structures should be similar, maybe new frontwing on the way to accomodate or they just want to grab air further up and direct it downwards toward that nice big undercut. In addition, the mirror attachment is now clearly angled more down, last year was almost straight, so they are "working the air harder"/

nick tarsey
@scampygreen

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:another picture of the bargeboards sorry, its been covered i know, but someone was nice enough to put the two pics together of launch vs test, and to my surprise, they did not just update the bargeboards, like they did many times last year, no they changed the height which is surprising, given the front is the same, and so the flow structures should be similar, maybe new frontwing on the way to accomodate or they just want to grab air further up and direct it downwards toward that nice big undercut. In addition, the mirror attachment is now clearly angled more down, last year was almost straight, so they are "working the air harder"/

nick tarsey
@scampygreen
Actually, the top picture is a render, not the actual car... Therefore it is to be expected that several parts / surfaces will differ from the actual car... The bargeboards used during the test were there in the video of the actual car on Monday

f1rules
f1rules

yeah youre right, compared to last year they still raised it a little, but nothing like the rendering suggested

Lucky
Lucky

Morteza

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Lucky
Lucky

Sevach
Sevach

Comparison with the W11.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Sevach wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 12:47
https://i.redd.it/0pvyvt83n5i61.jpg

Comparison with the W11.
Mercs rear bodywork appears tighter (or at least the upper part you can see from the top-view, but that could change with the W12 because of the new rear rad

Will be interesting to see the 35m and the W12 comparison

It appears McLaren have bought the sidepod downwash down was a lot earlier than Merc

haza
haza

First clear audio of the onboard engine sound sounds like there using one of the FOM mics