2024 Chinese GP

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Chinese GP

langedweil wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 05:15
No one on Discord .. and here it seems quite as well.
It started at 4am UK time. Not surprising.
A lion must kill its prey.

CHT
CHT

Missed opportunity for Lewis to bag his first win after 2 years. Once Max sorted out his battery, he is really untouchable.

chrisc90

Little b it eager from lando to try keep 1st and end up losing out a lot.
Sainz didn’t seem to be able to do anything against Alonso even on the straights with DRS. Probably need to sort that for the race tomorrow.
Max engaged rocket ship mode, and enabled the afterburners for good measure.
McLarens actually seemed pretty pacey today

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This reminds me so much of the loop section at Silverstone:

A lion must kill its prey.

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 06:54

And in the end it is always a Ferrari getting shoved out of the way 😃

venkyhere
venkyhere

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 06:54

David Croft just nonchalantly said "and Perez goes through".
Unless it's the altar at which he worships, Sir Lewis; Croft will never get excited about an opportunistic move by the 3rd driver when two of them ahead are skirmishing.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Sainz fighting and pushing off his teammate when he clearly had lesser skill/tyres compared to leClerc :
It's racing incident alright, but within an inter-team dynamic, it's very poor. Too utterly selfish when leClerc let Sainz through without a protest in two races before and last season as well.

FW17

Is there a full scrutineering session happening after the sprint? When do teams get the cars back?

TFSA

dialtone wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 05:38
Let’s give a couple penalty points to Alonso for pushing Sainz off track with a lounge that had zero hope to succeed and could only cause a crash.
Are we watching the same race?

This still is at the point of contact that sent Sainz wide. Unfortunately Fernandos onboard was the rearwards camera at that point, so there's no onboard to confirm 100% the position of the cars, but:
  • Fernando is definitely close to fully alongside on the inside (which entitled him to space).
  • It looks to me like Fernando is on the inside kerb, and therefore doesn't have anywhere to go.
So this to me seems like Sainz squeezed Fernando. I'd chuck it down to a racing incident, but i certainly can't see Fernando being at fault.
Last edited by TFSA on 20 Apr 2024, 07:57, edited 5 times in total.

RedNEO

dialtone wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 06:00
MichaelxScarn wrote:
dialtone wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 05:52

Dives like that are just stupid and have nothing to do with racing. Everyone is good at passing by making the corner after bumping into the other car wheels and sending it out of track.

If that’s racing to you, go look at some open lobbies.
What are you talking about? That was a normal racing incident. Seen hundred times before. And in the end you got what you wished for and he punished himself.
Don’t get this no contact at all bs. That’s still racing, get over it.
It’s not about no contact at all costs, it’s about being able anyway to make the corner without the other car. Alonso was never going to make that corner without Sainz.

They gave 10s to Magnussen in Saudi for an infinitely smaller contact.

He didn’t get a penalty because he retired, so whatever, but that was absolutely penalty worthy, reminiscent of Max on Vettel in 2018 in China.
You need to watch it again Alonso was in no way out of control, Sainz just turned in like nobody was there.

dialtone
dialtone

TFSA wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Let’s give a couple penalty points to Alonso for pushing Sainz off track with a lounge that had zero hope to succeed and could only cause a crash.

This still is at the point of contact that sent Sainz wide. Unfortunately Fernandos onboard was the rearwards camera at that point, so there's no onboard to confirm this fully, but it looks to me like Fernando is close to fully alongside on the inside - therefore being entitled to space - and is literally on the inside kerb. So this to me seems like Sainz squeezed Fernando.

I'd chuck it down to a racing incident, but i certainly can't see Fernando being at fault.
You can’t judge this incident via picture but if you insist… he’s behind in this picture, so by rule he needs to stay in his lane as Sainz is entitled to the space as long as he leaves enough for Alonso.

Alonso’s follow up, which is the important part after having established that he’s behind, is to force Sainz off track with contact, which he caused by diving in a corner he could never make in that position.

Easy penalty, as easy as the one Sainz deserves for pushing out, with contact, Leclerc later on.

On the other hand ALO was passed very cleanly by Sainz in a nice fight that didn’t involve pushing Alonso wide or off track in any corner, in fact Sainz was the outside car for most of that fight.

Racing incidents are a different thing and don’t involve dive bombing.

dialtone
dialtone

RedNEO wrote:
dialtone wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 06:00
MichaelxScarn wrote: What are you talking about? That was a normal racing incident. Seen hundred times before. And in the end you got what you wished for and he punished himself.
Don’t get this no contact at all bs. That’s still racing, get over it.
It’s not about no contact at all costs, it’s about being able anyway to make the corner without the other car. Alonso was never going to make that corner without Sainz.

They gave 10s to Magnussen in Saudi for an infinitely smaller contact.

He didn’t get a penalty because he retired, so whatever, but that was absolutely penalty worthy, reminiscent of Max on Vettel in 2018 in China.
You need to watch it again Alonso was in no way out of control, Sainz just turned in like nobody was there.
Sainz was absolutely entitled to do that because it was his corner and clearly Alonso had enough space since he dive bombed inside.

TFSA

dialtone wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 07:56
You can’t judge this incident via picture but if you insist… he’s behind in this picture, so by rule he needs to stay in his lane as Sainz is entitled to the space as long as he leaves enough for Alonso.

Alonso’s follow up, which is the important part after having established that he’s behind, is to force Sainz off track with contact, which he caused by diving in a corner he could never make in that position.

Easy penalty, as easy as the one Sainz deserves for pushing out, with contact, Leclerc later on.

On the other hand ALO was passed very cleanly by Sainz in a nice fight that didn’t involve pushing Alonso wide or off track in any corner, in fact Sainz was the outside car for most of that fight.

If contact happens while the inside car is on the kerb, it's generally not a divebomb, unless the car runs insanely wide afterwards or it's a hairpin corner. A divebomb is where the inside driver misjudges his braking point and goes wide of the apex. Fernando definitely hit the apex - they only went wide because of the contact. And if the contact is because Sainz closed the door, then Fernando can't be judged at fault for running him wide, because the running wide was caused by the contact causing loss of grip (for both drivers).

Let's see what the stewards say, but to me, your interpretation is completely wrong. It's a completely legitimate move by Alonso. Sainz closed the door.

The small contact they had a few corners before that was more on Alonso. He didn't hit the apex there.

EDIT: Also, I'm not just judging by the image. The image i posted for show-and-tell, but i watched the incident several times. And i can't see Fernando being predominantly to blame for the 2nd contact.

EDIT 2: After watching it again, Fernando might actually have not hit the apex completely, but still just enough to it not being a divebomb. I still think that they wouldn't have gone wide if there hadn't been contact, and therefore I'm still gonna call racing incident. But maybe Fernando is not as innocent as i thought.
Last edited by TFSA on 20 Apr 2024, 08:11, edited 3 times in total.

RedNEO

dialtone wrote:
TFSA wrote:
dialtone wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/bjBUqLb.png

This still is at the point of contact that sent Sainz wide. Unfortunately Fernandos onboard was the rearwards camera at that point, so there's no onboard to confirm this fully, but it looks to me like Fernando is close to fully alongside on the inside - therefore being entitled to space - and is literally on the inside kerb. So this to me seems like Sainz squeezed Fernando.

I'd chuck it down to a racing incident, but i certainly can't see Fernando being at fault.

You’re just making up the incident you thought happened despite being shown pictures and videos. What a molehill to double down on :lol:

dialtone
dialtone

RedNEO wrote:
dialtone wrote:
TFSA wrote: Are we watching the same race?

https://i.imgur.com/bjBUqLb.png

You’re just making up the incident you thought happened despite being shown pictures and videos. What a molehill to double down on :lol:
I don’t think we’re going to move one another from our opinions so this is about the end of the conversation.