Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Poleman

Re: Mercedes GP W02

andrew wrote:How right you are! Red Bull are deliberately sabotaging Webbers car, despite spending millions to delevop the car and paying his a few million a year to toodle about at the back!

It is perfectly simple as to why these systems have not been replaced - there has been no time between races! 7 days isn't a long time to do anything unless they have a teleporter, in which case you may be onto something. #-o
You may be right andrew but a team that has no time to replace a faulty KERS unit from the last race isnt trying to make it work again on the same car causing electricity leaks and overheatings.They just take it off the car.

Also a team that pays a few million a year a certain driver,dont leave him with the wrong tyre at the critical time to toodle about at the back.This shows at least the respect that they have for Webber unfortunately.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Actually he's around Lotuses. Work out your own dirty jokes.

A bit slower and he'll be around the HRT. Work out your own dirty jokes to this one also.

I think that's all the double entendre for team names.

andrew
andrew

Poleman wrote:
andrew wrote:How right you are! Red Bull are deliberately sabotaging Webbers car, despite spending millions to delevop the car and paying his a few million a year to toodle about at the back!

It is perfectly simple as to why these systems have not been replaced - there has been no time between races! 7 days isn't a long time to do anything unless they have a teleporter, in which case you may be onto something. #-o
You may be right andrew but a team that has no time to replace a faulty KERS unit from the last race isnt trying to make it work again on the same car causing electricity leaks and overheatings.They just take it off the car.

Also a team that pays a few million a year a certain driver,dont leave him with the wrong tyre at the critical time to toodle about at the back.This shows at least the respect that they have for Webber unfortunately.
Vettel has had his KERS problems too. I think he cooked his in qualifying which sound ominous for the race.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

andrew wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
andrew wrote:I can't understand how they can't design and build a ARW that works. It is a very simple mechanism.
Aren't the loads involved quite considerable? I mean, I'm sure they could design something very easily if weight and size of the system were not an issue but since they are I can understand how difficulties can occur.
True, but even considering the loads it is still a relatively simple system. How a team of expert engineers can't get it right is beyond belief. Even HRT have a working ARW!
Clearly you aren't paying attention. It's nothing to do with the mechanism, that all works fine. The airflow is not re-attaching when the wing comes back down, so it's effectively remaining stalled. Merc have one of the more aggressive DRS systems. I'm sure they could run a less efficient system and not have the problem, but they are probably getting a fair chunk of their laptime from it at the moment.

aral
aral

Clearly you aren't paying attention. It's nothing to do with the mechanism, that all works fine. The airflow is not re-attaching when the wing comes back down, so it's effectively remaining stalled. Merc have one of the more aggressive DRS systems. I'm sure they could run a less efficient system and not have the problem, but they are probably getting a fair chunk of their laptime from it at the moment.[/quote]

Maybe YOU are not paying attention. It is a mechanical problem, otherwise BOTH cars would suffer the same re-attachment problem that you are referring to. Or can you explain why Rosberg has no problem whilst Schumacher has?

bot6
bot6

Yup Diesel I'm afraid you shot yourself in the foot there. This was a specific mechanical problem on Schumi's car, Brawn said as much.

That doesn't mean the reattachment problem is not still there, but there was the mechanical problem on top of that on Michael's car. Specifically at turn 14 according to Brawn. According to the split times before that, Michael was on his way to Q3.

Shows it's good to make sure before biting someone's head off.

Instead of concentrating on what didn't work, we can also mention what did work: Nico did a cracking job and is in front of the Ferraris. And the car (when everything works) seems to be 3rd fastest in cold conditions. A new rear wing is coming for Turkey, and the team is working on a new cooling package, so we can expect performance to rise in hot conditions too if everything goes to plan. Yes, it's a big if.

By the way, Schumi's KERS was also acting up in qualifying, apparently due to a faulty wire insulation according to Brawn, which will be sorted for the race.
Last edited by bot6 on 16 Apr 2011, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

bot6
bot6

tok-tokkie wrote: That is just what must not be done. Having 2 actuators (=cylinders) fed from a single source splitting into two makes the cylinder with the lower load advance further than the other and usually causes a mechanical jamming of the system (depends on the precise layout).
Right on there. I assumed equal pressure on both sides when I thought about the required system, and that is not always the case. Maybe I made the same error in judgment as the Mercedes GP engineers, which would explain their trouble with the actuators?

andrew
andrew

Diesel wrote:Clearly you aren't paying attention. It's nothing to do with the mechanism, that all works fine. The airflow is not re-attaching when the wing comes back down, so it's effectively remaining stalled. Merc have one of the more aggressive DRS systems. I'm sure they could run a less efficient system and not have the problem, but they are probably getting a fair chunk of their laptime from it at the moment.
So why does Rosberg's works and Schumacher's doesn't?

I think you better hop it to the hospital! :lol:

donskar
donskar

I respect M-B and support Schu, but this car is a sad joke.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

bot6
bot6

Well, the car itself is ahead of the Ferraris. Schumi just had some pretty rotten luck today with the rear wing issue.

Some people were saying Raikkonen was the new Schumacher. It seems Schumacher is the new Raikkonen: the pilot with the worst luck in the paddock. Heidfeld, Webber, Massa and him should form a Calimero club.

Spartan202
Spartan202

Re: RB removing Webber's faulty KERS, it's easier said than done. KERS is part of the car and removing it will upset the weight distribution since the car is designed to accomodate it and pass the minimum weight tests. Hence running around with it and not using it [since it's faulty] is the only option.
Re: Schumacher's bad luck, if it was indeed a faulty wing again we should see him making up places. Nico is up there true but for race pace we are nowhere close to the Farrari's, they still have 0.5sec a lap on us. Let's pray for a good start from both our guys. [-o<

raymondu999

Why couldn't they just take it out and replace it with ballast? It's not like it's an INTEGRAL part of the car. The car is modular.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Rikhart
Rikhart

I hope some people are now felling a bit silly.The "lack of detail" + "short wheelbase" + "onoes copy redbull" IS LEADING THE RACE. And on own pace.

andrew
andrew

Bloody hell!!! The Merc is working! Alonso can't pass Schumacher!

The FOZ
The FOZ

raymondu999 wrote:
Joie de vivre wrote:Vettel had such an advantage but teammate is among virgins?
I don't think any man would complain about being among virgins :P
There's a reason Seb calls his cars "Randy Mandy", "Kinky Kylie", "Luscious Liz", and "Kate's Dirty Sister" instead of "Pure Pauline" "Virtuous Valerie" and "Unspoiled Ursula"

:wink: