Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
deadhead

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Maybe Vanja can tell us more

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

deadhead wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 04:42
https://i.ibb.co/rQ5Rsfv/Fee-GTif-WIAAm-TVd.jpg

Maybe Vanja can tell us more
He's already done a rudimentary CFD review which is consistent with the behavior shown here. Total pressure on the face of the rear tire is reduced on the Ferrari design compared with the other design. It's apparent looking at the water spray in the live feeds. One car is slapping water straight at the rear tire quite violently. The impact of the spray on the rear tire of the Ferrari looks much less violent.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Not just that: follow the spray pattern from the front tyre. On the Ferrari that wake is clearly pushed outboards to the edge of the rear tyre. The Merc hasn’t done that all. It’s hitting the rear tyre head on. There hardly seems any airflow management to keep the diffuser away from lossy turbulent airflow.

Vanja #66

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 11:56
On the Ferrari that wake is clearly pushed outboards to the edge of the rear tyre. The Merc hasn’t done that all. It’s hitting the rear tyre head on. There hardly seems any airflow management to keep the diffuser away from lossy turbulent airflow.
Yes, that is one of the more important aerodynamic roles of wide sidepods, along with structural stiffening of the floor without adding extra weight to it.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Did anyone notice them running higher than usual today? Duchessa has been talking about how the new bottom is designed to help the car run higher off the ground

tpe
tpe

I had that impression too.
Also it LOOKED like they had much less porpoising than Spa for example.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

tpe wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 17:57
Yep to me Sainz's car looked as smooth as the Red Bull.

bluechris

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 19:45
tpe wrote:
Sainz car always is better in our eyes because he has always a bit more rear wing from Leclerc. That's why Leclerc is always a tiny bit faster. Max is doing the same in comparison to Perez. It needs ability to drive like this fast and consistent throw a race and that's why this 2 guys stand up from all the rest.

organic

bluechris wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 20:43
AR3-GP wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 19:45
tpe wrote:
Sainz car always is better in our eyes because he has always a bit more rear wing from Leclerc. That's why Leclerc is always a tiny bit faster. Max is doing the same in comparison to Perez. It needs ability to drive like this fast and consistent throw a race and that's why this 2 guys stand up from all the rest.
What? This weekend it's the opposite. Sainz is running less wing by far than leclerc this weekend. Sainz and Charles are almost matched on laptime but Charles loses 0.3s to Sainz on the straights. Duchessa has confirmed in an article that Charles runs with higher df this weekend

Vanja #66

Depending on new floor structure, it might give off wrong impression on ride height if it's more or less stiff than previous floor. Seeing changes in shape design and new place of rod-stay, it's 99% certain stiffness is changed, so ride height is practically incomparable.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 15:09
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 11:56
On the Ferrari that wake is clearly pushed outboards to the edge of the rear tyre. The Merc hasn’t done that all. It’s hitting the rear tyre head on. There hardly seems any airflow management to keep the diffuser away from lossy turbulent airflow.
Yes, that is one of the more important aerodynamic roles of wide sidepods, along with structural stiffening of the floor without adding extra weight to it.
Good to be vindicated(yet again) isn't it Vanja =D> .

Anyway, Ferrari isn't bouncing in Japan, wether that's due to the new floor or a change in setup i don't know.

Xwang
Xwang

I have not seen a lot of bouncing by other cars too. Maybe the track helps in that?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xwang wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 00:10
I have not seen a lot of bouncing by other cars too. Maybe the track helps in that?
It's possible that with rain anticipated, Ferrari are running higher ride heights. It's also suggested above that the new floor is optimized around greater ground clearance.

organic

The car ate the tyres in the wet. Similar to Imola, but worse in terms of degradation. Look at right front of Leclerc compared to others:

other comparison

Compared to RB:

The rears are also bad, with almost no tread in the central section for the F1-75

Maybe they went with a drier setup than if the weather prediction was more stable, but still tricky

FDD
FDD

organic wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 16:19
The car ate the tyres in the wet. Similar to Imola, but worse in terms of degradation. Look at right front of Leclerc compared to others:

https://i.imgur.com/2QIgxBg.png

other comparison

https://i.imgur.com/7qKu3sY.png

Compared to RB:

https://i.imgur.com/ffy0uRH.png

The rears are also bad, with almost no tread in the central section for the F1-75

Maybe they went with a drier setup than if the weather prediction was more stable, but still tricky
They already detect the problems with tyre degradation in wet FP1 & 2.
They have homework to do.
I hope that next race will be dry so we can see where are they in that conditions.
They also have problems with tyre deg in previous race.
Car is puting tires in working temp very quick, but can not keep in the working window and it overheat them, as I understand.