McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Muulka wrote: The fact that neither of us could remember where it was just shows how little excitement there is in Hungary....
Hungary was very exciting, it was when RB were accused of having a bendy wing ....

raymondu999

As I recall they were accused of that for the better part of the season. But it was the race where they had the biggest gap to the other teams. I wonder what the gap will be this year. Last year at Barcelona/Silverstone where the Bulls were MOST dominant they had 8 tenths. And in Australia where they didn't have nearly that much of a gap, they now have 8 tenths. Scary.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

adrianjordan

raymondu999 wrote:As I recall they were accused of that for the better part of the season. But it was the race where they had the biggest gap to the other teams. I wonder what the gap will be this year. Last year at Barcelona/Silverstone where the Bulls were MOST dominant they had 8 tenths. And in Australia where they didn't have nearly that much of a gap, they now have 8 tenths. Scary.
So that's 2 tenths behind when McLaren get the Octoxhaust working then :wink: :wink:
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

raymondu999

IF it's even legal. But we don't even know it's worth a second.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

adrianjordan wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:As I recall they were accused of that for the better part of the season. But it was the race where they had the biggest gap to the other teams. I wonder what the gap will be this year. Last year at Barcelona/Silverstone where the Bulls were MOST dominant they had 8 tenths. And in Australia where they didn't have nearly that much of a gap, they now have 8 tenths. Scary.
So that's 2 tenths behind when McLaren get the Octoxhaust working then :wink: :wink:
So that's 1 tenth behind when RedBull get KERS working :wink: :wink:

The point I'm making is not that RedBull are ahead, or that McLaren are ahead, but instead that it's results on the track that matters – speculation about "if they'd got this working" is beside the point.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Q. Is there a plan to re-introduce the radical exhaust system shelved prior to Australia and is there now a need for it given the effectiveness of the solution applied in Melbourne?

Jonathan Neale: I'm going to decline to comment on our future engineering and development plans and where we are going in terms of development, but what I will say is that as with most years you've got a number of teams working on different aspects of the car.

There are a whole range of interesting features out there and every team at everybody else. That was as true two years ago as it was last year with the double diffuser. Typically we always want to explore and try and understand why a team has gone in a specific direction, particularly if they are quick. That is just the natural cycle.

But I think you will find over the next few races that there are a number of teams evaluating exhaust systems because it would appear that there is some performance there.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90461

McG

8 tenths in qualifying only with one car only...
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

raymondu999

point being the car is capable of producing an 8 tenth difference
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

McG

Over 1 lap...
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

raymondu999

Yes I was talking about qualifying. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear enough for you
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Posts were split into a separate thread where they really became specific about the diffuser material/construction:
:arrow: MP4-26 diffuser material

Please continue that topic over there.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

raymondu999 wrote:point being the car is capable of producing an 8 tenth difference
Not quite. Vettel's best time was set with purple in every sector. If you used the best 3 sectors that Hamilton set he could've got to within 5 tenths of the SV's Red Bull meaning that things are considerably closer than people realise.

Correction it's not as close as .5. Hamilton's best time with his sector times was 1.24.157 to Vettel's 1:23.529.

PlatinumZealot

Vettel better try keep that half a second cushion up, because the MP4-26 is going to be kicking hard in Malaysia!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Formula None
Formula None

boci
boci

raymondu999 wrote:IF it's even legal. But we don't even know it's worth a second.
Why would McLaren develop an exhaust system that is illegal?