2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:01
I dont disagree but I heard we could have released Lando on clear air instead of traffic. We could have managed 2nd. Still Im ok even with 3-4. Ive seen the standings and its safe to say considering Perez is below average if we repeat last years upgrades we might have a chance at the Constructors because as you can see mechanical problems do exist.
Whoever says that is really stretching it. Sure, if things were completely perfect he may have ended up P2 but it was by no means a bad strategy.

If we want to go down that route, ideal would have been to stay out and then pit like Alonso did under a VSC.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Why is it that when Carlos wins, George, chasing his opponent in front, gets into an accident on the last lap?

Darth-Piekus

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:24
Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:01

Whoever says that is really stretching it. Sure, if things were completely perfect he may have ended up P2 but it was by no means a bad strategy.

If we want to go down that route, ideal would have been to stay out and then pit like Alonso did under a VSC.
And Im ok with it. 3-4 and already on 57 points. We are on another level this year, we were on par with Ferrari and now we go to Japan where we expect the first upgrade. Considering that Japan suits Mclaren much more than even Australia I expect the team to be able to beat Ferrari this time.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Indeed - if the car is improved in Japan then we should challenge Ferrari. We will see what others bring. Exciting times ahead.

Seerix
Seerix

Lando touched on Suzuka in one of post race interviews. He mentioned Ferrari managed to improve a lot one of their last year weaknesses - high speed corners, where McLaren used to be a lot better than Ferrari. He still expects the track to suit McLaren, but does not think the high speed corners favor McLaren as much as they did last year.

mwillems

It's more about the track having less points that penalise our car than the track favouring the Mclaren over Ferrari.

I expect Ferrari and Mclaren will be close in Suzuka.

That RB looks good on the straights though.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Also, McLaren is not bringing anything big for Japan right? Stella said the target is to bring the first major package before the mid part of the season, and the first couple of races will only see minor changes which he estimated to be on miliseconds in terms of laptime.

And as far as Suzuka goes, yes, Ferrari is much more competitive in high speed corners this year. I think Lando had a slight edge at some of the very fast stuff, but unfortunately the difference is marginal compared to what they lose on the slow corners to Ferrari. So it nets to a disadvantage.

The last chicane in Suzuka perhaps won't be as bad, but the hairpin will probably be the main time loss. If they have 3 tenths in the pocket from the high speed sections of the track, they might have a fighting chance. Otherwise, Ferrari will probably still be ahead.

And of course, Max.

Seerix
Seerix

Emag wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 12:00
Also, McLaren is not bringing anything big for Japan right? Stella said the target is to bring the first major package before the mid part of the season, and the first couple of races will only see minor changes which he estimated to be on miliseconds in terms of laptime.

And as far as Suzuka goes, yes, Ferrari is much more competitive in high speed corners this year. I think Lando had a slight edge at some of the very fast stuff, but unfortunately the difference is marginal compared to what they lose on the slow corners to Ferrari. So it nets to a disadvantage.

The last chicane in Suzuka perhaps won't be as bad, but the hairpin will probably be the main time loss. If they have 3 tenths in the pocket from the high speed sections of the track, they might have a fighting chance. Otherwise, Ferrari will probably still be ahead.

And of course, Max.
That's right, Lando specifically said there will be same car in Suzuka as today, no upgrades yet.

Darth-Piekus

Out of curiosity. Did Lando Norris pitted before the first VSC?

De Wet

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 12:14
Out of curiosity. Did Lando Norris pitted before the first VSC?

Yes... I think 1/2 laps earlier...

SilviuAgo

LionsHeart wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:40
Why is it that when Carlos wins, George, chasing his opponent in front, gets into an accident on the last lap?
I see no fault on Alonso side here. And how desperate Russell was asking for a red flag (but is the same guy that was pointing Lando to be penalized for the jump start in Jeddah #-o ). I think was a good call from the stewards to end the race on VSC.

LE: seems Alonso was penalized by the stewards.

POS NO DRIVER CAR LAPS TIME/RETIRED PTS
1 55 Carlos Sainz FERRARI 58 1:20:26.843 25
2 16 Charles Leclerc FERRARI 58 +2.366s 19
3 4 Lando Norris MCLAREN MERCEDES 58 +5.904s 15
4 81 Oscar Piastri MCLAREN MERCEDES 58 +35.770s 12
5 11 Sergio Perez RED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT 58 +56.309s 10
6 18 Lance Stroll ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 58 +93.222s 8
7 22 Yuki Tsunoda RB HONDA RBPT 58 +95.601s 6
8 14 Fernando Alonso ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 58 +100.992s 4
9 27 Nico Hulkenberg HAAS FERRARI 58 +104.553s 2
10 20 Kevin Magnussen HAAS FERRARI 57 +1 lap 1
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 24 Mar 2024, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

BMMR61

VSC wasn't a factor in anyone we were battling with, only those behind. 55 points in the bag after 3 races including a quiet opening race, last year we had a lucky 12 from Australia to show for our troubles and 5th place looked the ultimate dream..... This year we're clear in 3rd though with a bit to gain back on Ferrari, dare to dream!

Anyone got any ideas why Mercedes are struggling with PU reliability? Speaking of which that was another setback for us a year ago so McLaren are in the fight, especially now we see RedBull isn't invincible. The race was run at near maximum pace and we had close to the measure of the Ferraris and possibly Max if he hadn't DNFed. Bahrain was an outlier and the team are working methodically not chucking ideas at the cars.

BMMR61

SilviuAgo wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 13:02
LionsHeart wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:40
I see no fault on Alonso side here. And how desperate Russell was asking for a red flag (but is the same guy that was pointing Lando to be penalized for the jump start in Jeddah #-o ). I think was a good call from the stewards to end the race on VSC.

Strongly agree, for Carlos to face another Melbourne restart would have been a travesty as he owned the 2024 Australian GP - another magnificent drive by the smooth operator!

Darth-Piekus

BMMR61 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 13:05
VSC wasn't a factor in anyone we were battling with, only those behind. 55 points in the bag after 3 races including a quiet opening race, last year we had a lucky 12 from Australia to show for our troubles and 5th place looked the ultimate dream..... This year we're clear in 3rd though with a bit to gain back on Ferrari, dare to dream!

Anyone got any ideas why Mercedes are struggling with PU reliability? Speaking of which that was another setback for us a year ago so McLaren are in the fight, especially now we see RedBull isn't invincible. The race was run at near maximum pace and we had close to the measure of the Ferraris and possibly Max if he hadn't DNFed. Bahrain was an outlier and the team are working methodically not chucking ideas at the cars.
Allow me to disagree cause when Norris lost 22 seconds that a usual pit stop takes, Leclerc did exploit the 13 seconds that usually costs during a VSC to gain a place. We might have had a different result.

Seerix
Seerix

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 13:15
BMMR61 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 13:05

Allow me to disagree cause when Norris lost 22 seconds that a usual pit stop takes, Leclerc did exploit the 13 seconds that usually costs during a VSC to gain a place. We might have had a different result.
Allow me to point out, Lec pitted on lap 9 and VSC happened on lap 17. #-o