Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Its a barn door with little movement in updates, which is why Fry is on his way to Ferrari.
He also knows the Macca road car is going to fail.

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Thanks for that totally unbiased and insightful post...

Being the second fastest car on the grid obviouslly means its a barn door with no room for development. McLaren, what a terrible team. :?

If anything I would say that diffuser looks like an EPD could be implemented quite well with little effort. Fine tuning is another story. But what do I know.

Herr_Koos

autogyro wrote:Its a barn door with little movement in updates, which is why Fry is on his way to Ferrari.
He also knows the Macca road car is going to fail.
Segudunum, is that you...? :o

autogyro
autogyro

The reason the Macca is second fastest is because of the two recent world champions driving it, much the same as the grid position the Ferrari presently holds with Alonso.
The RB6 with any of those three drivers behind the wheel would be unbeatable.
Vettel has stood still in driver development and Webber has improved slightly and has some future potential now but these two are in a different class at present.
Technicaly the RB6 is to far advanced for the other teams to catch this year and they know this.
The FIA is juggling the issue to keep times even.
I am not in anyway saying this because I am a fanboy for RB either.
Last edited by autogyro on 23 Jun 2010, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

Herr_Koos

autogyro wrote:The reason the Macca is second fastest is because of the two recent world champions driving it, much the same as the grid position the Reanault presently holds with Alonso.
Vettel has stood still in driver development and Webber has improved slightly and has some future potential now but these two are in a different class at present.
Technicaly the RB6 is to far advanced for the other teams to catch this year and they know this.
I assume you mean Renault & Kubica.. Well if Red Bull are too far ahead to be caught, no-one has told the other teams yet. And if McLaren/Ferrai keeping is due to the FIA's intervention, you are effectively accusing them of sabotaging Vettel's car on more than one occasion. Bad reliability = no championship. Ask McLaren.

Morteza

Herr_Koos wrote:
autogyro wrote: reliability = no championship. Ask McLaren.
Thats'100% correct. If it hadn't been for reliability problems Raikkonen could have won 2 championships at McLaren. It was the same for Vettel last year.

Sorry for being off topic guys :oops:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Shaddock

autogyro wrote:Yes but with push rod suspension on the Macca, moving the exhaust down would still leave the rear dampers and rear suspension linkage and springing in exactly the wrong place. It would still prevent lowering the rear cowling enough so as to feed a smooth flow over the diffuser.
To do so would need a pull rod with the suspension under the gearbox like the RB and I do not believe they have either enough time or the testing available to achieve that.
OK the FIA seem to have allowed all the teams to 'demonstrate' for a day but that is hardly enough for such major changes.
The updates on the Macca and all the others will only be enough if the RB stands still.
I'm not sure about the pull rod. In the badly photochopped picture below I have removed the lower wishbone and dropped the exhaust exit.

The push rod is clear of the air flow around the side of the body to the diffuser it's the drive shaft behind that cuts right in front of the flow.

autogyro
autogyro

It is the bulky engine cover needed to go over the top gearbox mounted dampers and suspension linkage that blocks the flow over the diffuser and bottom wing plane area. this results in the barn door lower wing plane and large drag increase over the RB. Reducing the area of the lower plane without reducing the cover bulk and increasing its streamlining would simply establish a turbulent flow and upset aero balance.
One thing leads to another so they say.
Newey started with the right primary focus, Macca did not.

wesley123
wesley123

The mclarens second deck starts waysooner then on other cars, thus it looks like the loweer wishbones are lower, but they are not
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bar555
bar555

NEW FRONT WING SINCE SPAIN

The new front wing presented at Catalunya featured new endplates with a modified double vented combo , with the second one to be taller and its opening divided by a horizontal splitter , in an attempt to improve airflow management around the front tyres and to increase the quantity of air passing under the car . Moreover the upper triangular fin is now flatter and shorter and the endplates rear part lost their vertical boxy profile having now a round and protruding profile to divert airflow away from the tyres frontal surface . Lastly the points adjustment to the wing angle attack had also been relocated alongside with the flap movable mechanism which is housed inside the endplate .
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

autogyro
autogyro

Herr_Koos wrote:
autogyro wrote:The reason the Macca is second fastest is because of the two recent world champions driving it, much the same as the grid position the Reanault presently holds with Alonso.
I assume you mean Renault & Kubica.. Well if Red Bull are too far ahead to be caught, no-one has told the other teams yet. And if McLaren/Ferrai keeping is due to the FIA's intervention, you are effectively accusing them of sabotaging Vettel's car on more than one occasion. Bad reliability = no championship. Ask McLaren.
Sorry I meant Alonso and Ferrari although Renault are right there with the second division technicaly. Kubica is a fine driver much under rated.
The Macca is slightly ahead of the Ferrari technicaly IMO.

Carlo's
Carlo's

F1 Scoop McLaren have been making use of the twin wind tunnel facility at the Toyota factory in Germany for the development of the MP4-25

autogyro
autogyro

Hmmm how many hours?

wesley123
wesley123

i dont believe that, i mean why should they use someone elses when they have their own? i believe they even have 3 of them.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Blackout

They have a 100% scale one ? only 4 hours/day test are allowed in a full scale Wind tunnel.
Renault uses one... in the USA, hence it's cheaper than in Europe. :lol: