Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Bomber_Pilot

Re: Ferrari F138

This car has no rear end at all..... :wtf:

EDIT: Great photos stefan

.poz
.poz

What are they hiding with those towels ?

Looks like temp stickers to me.... the underlying exhaust pipe is heating the bodywork too much ?

stefan_
stefan_

Nothing, they put the towels there not to burn their hands.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

f1316
f1316

Bomber_Pilot wrote:This car has no rear end at all..... :wtf:

Purely visually, you can't help but think the work they've done on the gearbox must have cleaned up the airflow to the rear. As I say, to the eye with absolutely nothing to back it up, it looks beautiful and likely to have a good effect.

LHamilton
LHamilton

.poz wrote:What are they hiding with those towels ?

They arent hiding anything. The towels are cold and put on whenever the drivers come in to the pits to cool the exhaust area and prevent them from overheating. Ted Kravitz explained this and McLaren used or perhaps still using this.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

f1316 wrote:

Purely visually, you can't help but think the work they've done on the gearbox must have cleaned up the airflow to the rear. As I say, to the eye with absolutely nothing to back it up, it looks beautiful and likely to have a good effect.

I wonder if this car have the neutral exhaust, like the F10 at the launch of the car, perhaps the coke bottle area would be even cleaner ?
In fact, with this current concept of exhaust, it's seems to me eyes (i'm not an engineer) that the exhaust block the airflow to back end of the car.

.poz
.poz

LHamilton wrote:They arent hiding anything. The towels are cold and put on whenever the drivers come in to the pits to cool the exhaust area and prevent them from overheating.
A very sophisticated piece of technology.... :D

amouzouris

ok..who stole the rear end of the car???? :D

bad joke i know!

Joking aside, the rear end is TIGHT! there is distinctive bump on the right lower side of the ferrari logo, that is the engine!

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 469606.jpg

stefan_
stefan_

Wow, didn't realize that - gives you an idea of how tight it is. They must have been traumatized by last year that they came up with this packaging. I am very curious to see it opened up.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

.poz wrote:What are they hiding with those towels ?

[img]http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 86.jpg/img]
The wet towels are to stop the body work melting.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

f1316
f1316

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:
f1316 wrote:

I wonder if this car have the neutral exhaust, like the F10 at the launch of the car, perhaps the coke bottle area would be even cleaner ?
In fact, with this current concept of exhaust, it's seems to me eyes (i'm not an engineer) that the exhaust block the airflow to back end of the car.
It might block the airflow a bit, but the teams will be well aware of the relative pluses/minuses, and would only put that kind of exhaust treatment in if the advantages outweighed the negatives.

Look at Lotus last year. It got to the point in their analysis where the advantage of having a the coanda exhaust outweighed both the loss in power and the effect to the airflow. It's then a no-brainer to implement it.

But with that, you still want to design that area to encorporate the solution in the cleanest way possible. I think Ferrari have made a big step here compared to last year (and a quantum leap compared to the start of the year!) *slight exageration*

stefan_
stefan_

Matt Somerfield ‏@SomersF1
Ferrari - Shrouded halfshafts with strakes below, twin element diffuser gurney, RW Endplate Slats & Slanted Monkey Seat

f300v10
f300v10

The diffuser appears to be the same spec as the 2012 unit first used at the Austin race so I would expect that will be one of the parts changed at the third test. The extreme undercut of the sidepods and the clean path for air to flow into the coke bottle section and over the top of the diffuser looks equal or better than any of the other cars which is something that couldn't be said for the last several Ferrari.

Crabbia
Crabbia

Does anyone know what purpose or function the RW endplate slats serve?

Taking a stab at it I guess it would be making the effective length of the endplate itself less. So the flow "sees" the RW ending wear the slats start but for the purposes of the rules the RW endplate length includes the slats.

the shorter the endplate the better as i recall. When the new rules came in defining the length of the RW endplates be larger (for sponsorship purposes) i remember people saying that it makes the RW less efficient.

Can anyone give more information on this?
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

stefan_
stefan_