Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

Virgin. So they didn't give Soucek track time, but they're giving D'ambrosio and Rio Haryanto track time?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Spare a thought for Alvaro Parente, he didnt even get to trackside with the team.

Virgin need sponsor money, they are now seeing i think that $48million is too small a budget to operate on and my feeling is they would like to increase that by to about $70million if they can and that looks like a much more level and fairer playing feild in todays F1 market, as thats the level that Lotus are competing on this year.

Thats why i am now looking at the fact that Virgin may look at dropping Di Grasi for 2011 as he brings little ot no money. The need Glock, but if my hunch is correct they may decide to do a driver swap with Glock and Petrov going in either direction, as $16 million would be really handy for Virgin from Petrov and the $5 million for D'Ambrosio, will be realy nice in sponsor money for 2011 for Virgin. With the rumored $20 million they get from other sponsors, they would be ill advised to turn such deals down, with the $15 million they get from Virgin Group, would make up to a really nice $60 million, in whitch they could compete with the midfeild from their all CFD approach.

I am seeing a buisness plan emerging, and it looks not too shabby, altho id much prefer to approach things from the Team Lotus point of view.

nacho
nacho

I don't think Virgin seat is the same worth as a Renault seat.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Is it??? Whats the value of loosing a seat in F1???

Heidfeld and Liuzzi have been lucky in recent years, and are the only ones outside of the trend. Going on many other drivers, as soon as they are gone, they dont come back, so if the loose the seat its curtains. Maybes a Virgin seat isnt worth $18M, but its worth a decent figure to stay in the sport.

Personally, if i were Virgin, id let Glock go to Renault, if they want him, but only if they can assure Petrov and his $$$ for the next 2 years, with D'Ambrosio.

Personally, if i were Virgin as well, id also look for a Technichal alliance with Williams for Gearboxes, meaning that they could also take on a Williams development driver as well for a TD role as a money neutral ideal for them.

I think ther future of F1 will see many smaller teams working with the big 6 teams (McLaren/Williams/Red Bull/Ferarri/Mercedes/Renault) in return for something that the can give, in other words a race seat for a development driver and or better technichal understanding for the greater good of the bigger brand.

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that Sauber have taken on a driver (Gutièrrez) from ART for a TD role.

Could lead to a tie in with ART next year?

marcush.
marcush.

with Villeneuve looking to buy a team ..very soon Virgin will appear on his radar as a potential target?

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:with Villeneuve looking to buy a team ..very soon Virgin will appear on his radar as a potential target?
I think JV will be next years revelation, winning races in the Schumacher/Brawn-Nissan SB-101. How about that Tomba?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raymondu999

marcush. wrote:with Villeneuve looking to buy a team ..very soon Virgin will appear on his radar as a potential target?
I don't think he can outbid Branson
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

donskar
donskar

This will make it tougher for Kimi to get a ride with Renault:
Autosport.com:
"Renault has announced that Russian company Vyborg Shipyard JSC has become a team partner for the final five races of the 2010 season.

"The deal marks the second partnership with a Russian company in 2010 for Renault, following the agreement with Lada.

"Both companies have been attracted to the team by Vitaly Petrov's promising debut season as Russia's first ever F1 driver," said the team in a statement."
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Morteza

Renault have got Petrov which has earned them sponsors and he gets a lower salary than Kimi Raikkonen. I don't think bringing Kimi would be economically beneficial for Renault. But is it?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

raymondu999

That depends on how Kimi performs on track. If he can make the difference for Renault to go up a few places in the constructors, then maybe he might be able to make the difference?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

donskar
donskar

Petrov is an excellent example of sponsorship following nationality rather than on-track success.

Of course, sponsors want a successful team, but a record of success is just one factor they consider when deciding whether to sponsor a team.

As for Renault, they have to consider whether Kimi's (probable) increase in performance relative to Petrov would bring more or less sponsorship. I'd love to see Kimi back. but I don't think Renault NEEDS him.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

donskar wrote:Petrov is an excellent example of sponsorship following nationality rather than on-track success.
So very true Don, just think about certain German drivers being supported by engine manufacturers and sponsors,
where it's very difficult to claim any of the Finnish drivers ever having had that kind of back-up?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

noname
noname

raymondu999 wrote:That depends on how Kimi performs on track. If he can make the difference for Renault to go up a few places in the constructors, then maybe he might be able to make the difference?
They already have Robert, the guy able to deliver the title if the car would be fast (and reliable) enough. He was leading the standings few years back with Sauber and looks like he improved since then.

As much I would like to see Kimi back in F1 I have to agree - I doubt Renault needs him.

PNSD
PNSD

Whats wrong with another top driver at Renault?

They do need two #1's IMO. By having a rookie driver for the last two seasons they have lost out on alot of points... Renault are recoving back to being a strong team again, for them to challenge Mclaren, Ferrari, RedBull and Mercedes they need two strong drivers.