Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mep

Re: Williams FW33

Formula None wrote: I assume the truncated rear bodywork is meant to set up a low pressure zone directly behind it and ahead of the rear wings, to help pull more air through that area. Simply having the bodywork taper (as Red Bull do on the lower portion of there sidepods) would not be able to set up such an extreme pressure differential as what the Williams can. More drag, but that void will want to pull a lot of air around the engine cover and hence through the RW endplates. That's my guess.
Formula None wrote:An illustration of the idea:

(Thanks zgred for posting the pic)
Yea that’s a possible explanation.
I think normally such a body would cause a Kármán vortex street which reduces the downforce generated by the wing. The hot air flow in the middle splits the airflow of the two sides and gives them a flow direction towards the wing. A big vortex is not build up and the drag of such a body shape gets a significant reduction. In the end they might really have found a good way to guide the air towards the wing.

Btw: Is a exhaust blown diffusor still allowed or why do all teams still place it low?
If it’s not allowed anymore to blow the diffuser then I think it would make more sense to blow the beam wing.

Formula None
Formula None

mep wrote:Btw: Is a exhaust blown diffusor still allowed or why do all teams still place it low?
If it’s not allowed anymore to blow the diffuser then I think it would make more sense to blow the beam wing.
Through-holes in the diffuser are only allowed at the outer edges (a 50mm zone on each side of the 1000mm wide diffuser) according to article 3.12.9. I think most of that outer width gets taken up by gurney flaps, so maybe the incentive the blow a slot right at the edge is not that great vs. just rolling the exhaust under the outer edge of the diffuser.

Formula None
Formula None

zgred

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

zgred wrote:Image
A really great shot zgred, showing the strakes above the diffuser box. That's how much they think they're developing over the diffuser .. enough that they want to and think they can manage it with strakes .. pretty telling ..

PlatinumZealot

z-bones jigga!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Formula None
Formula None

roadie

Can see all the cooling holes in this image. 1 either side of the cockpit head protection, 1 at the rear edge of the engine cover and 1 either side of the rear crash structure.

forty-two

No metal spike/hook thing visible for the rear jack to hook onto. I've noticed a few of this years cars seem to be missing this.

Is there a new way of attaching the rear jack that I'd missed?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

piast9
piast9

forty-two wrote:No metal spike/hook thing visible for the rear jack to hook onto. I've noticed a few of this years cars seem to be missing this.
Is there a new way of attaching the rear jack that I'd missed?
Yes, I've noticed that too and thought about it a bit.

Maybe it is a method of speeding up the pit-stops? In most cases the driver should leave the pits as soon as rear wheels are on the ground. If you don't have such hook there's no risk that the car leaves with the jack still attached.

The other idea is that if jack didn't just hook the car at one point under the crash structure but lifted on sort of flat, wider surface under the floor then the car would be more stable and would tend less to rock from side to side. Remember how the teams practised pit stops at the beginning of last year? Sometimes there was additional crew member just holding the car to stop that rocking.

mith

Maybe that's the reason? ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk[/youtube]

Sebp

Have a look at the Renault-thread concerning the jack. (Page 61)

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

That's actually quite funny. I'm surprised the jack held on for so long! :lol:

FrukostScones

ha ha ha, so funny.........

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

a lot more funnier....

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.