COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Mr Alcatraz wrote:What about that hideous retaining wall? :roll: :lol:
I have a theory that they hired a new stone mason. The newer walls look a lot better than the early ones and there was a big gap in time when there was no stonework being done.

I'm curious about that one mystery retaining wall that never received its stone veneer. Why just the one?

Mr Alcatraz

A question for the ages
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

New aerial photos out in this GPWeek article. Like I thought, it looks like about half the track has the first layer of paving...from just before turn 1 to about half way thru the back straight, and the initial "test patch" over around 19-20. They're finishing fill work in the stadium complex, and the westernmost team building is being built. I've been hearing for months that they're gonna build 1 or maybe 2 of the team buildings and leave the other slabs bare to possibly be built up later, starting at the western end. In the meantime, unimproved slabs can be used to accommodate temporary team buildings. There are supposed to be 2 team "buildings" on each of those slabs, so that would be 14 if they build them. I hope they do, but I don't think they plan to anytime soon:

http://mag.gpweek.com/#folio=8

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

f1316
f1316

What sort of capacity for spectators are they going for here? Obviously what we can currently see is only a small part of the main grandstand, but what's their expectation?

I remember thinking that, whilst it was a lot fewer people then the 500, the race at Indy still packed in 6 figure attendances, which was pretty damn good.

Pup
Pup

Good shots, but it's a shame that they only gave us those dinky thumbnails. Judging by the grandstand roof, they were taken about a week ago.

Actually, Sutton has over 600 shots from the same shoot to browse through, though unfortunately they're not only tiny, but watermarked as well. Still fun to look through...

http://www.sutton-images.com/searchresu ... 94a&page=1

Maybe the circuit or some of the other outlets will buy some and post hi-res versions for us.

Pup
Pup

Here are the locations of the additional grandstands, which CotA says are available now...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

f1316 wrote:Obviously what we can currently see is only a small part of the main grandstand
Nope, sorry. That's the whole thing.

beelsebob
beelsebob

hairy_scotsman wrote:
f1316 wrote:Obviously what we can currently see is only a small part of the main grandstand
The map shows it extending nearly the length of the pit buildings; the photo shows it being about 1/3 of the length, with a cleared area + foundations for more of it. I'm pretty confident it'll be longer than that.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

beelsebob wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
The map shows it extending nearly the length of the pit buildings; the photo shows it being about 1/3 of the length, with a cleared area + foundations for more of it. I'm pretty confident it'll be longer than that.
If you're referring to the large "double-deck" portion of the stadium, that's it...about 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the pit building. It was originally designed to be approximately the same length as the pit building, but it's been scaled back progressively to what you see there with smaller, lower sections extending from either end. You might also notice that in any recent rendering or seating diagrams, the Main GS representation looks like what you see in the photos.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 20 Jun 2012, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

HS is correct. There was an early site plan that showed a larger grandstand, but that was almost immediately followed by renderings showing one about half that size. My guess is that when they decided to go with psl's, they cut it back to match what they thought they could sell. Obviously it's capable of being enlarged, though.

On Tilke's December site plan, which is almost identical to what's been built, he shows about 45,000 possible grandstand seats not including the psl's. I believe there are about 20,000 psl's, maybe more I don't remember. CotA has added grandstands at turns 2 and 4 that Tilke didn't show, and it looks like they've enlarged the one at turn 12. There are three small stands that Tilke showed at turn 1, the main straight, and the infield that CotA hasn't announced. My back of the napkin estimates are that they've sold between 35,000 - 40,000 seats already, with another 15,000 announced today. Again, that's not including psl's (or general admission). My estimate though is based on the capacities listed on Tilke's plan with a few adjustments for the relative sizes CotA is showing the grandstands, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, to answer your questions, I'm guessing 50,000+ non-psl seats plus 20,000 psl's = 70,000 plus general admission. I'm way out on the limb already, but I'll go ahead and predict that they'll top 125,000 easily and maybe even see 150,000 total race-day attendance.

FW17

Pup wrote:
Anyway, to answer your questions, I'm guessing 50,000+ non-psl seats plus 20,000 psl's = 70,000 plus general admission. I'm way out on the limb already, but I'll go ahead and predict that they'll top 125,000 easily and maybe even see 150,000 total race-day attendance.

They would love to have 150,000 people through the gates on race day but, i don't think that COTA premise has the facilities for the extra people. They would also have to approach for a new set of permits, re-work the entire traffic plan. Maybe based on the 1st years response and prospects for the 2nd year, the capacity may be increased.

But 1st year is defiantly not going to be beyond 120,000.

bhall
bhall

WilliamsF1 wrote:But 1st year is defiantly not going to be beyond 120,000.
"You can't force us to take more than 120,000! We won't do it no matter what you say!"

:lol:

I'm actually starting to lament that I won't be in Texas for this race.

strad

Actually I hope for adequate attendance, but in reality I would not want the turn out to be so great that it massively overwhelms the support structure making the inaugural event look like a fiasco. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I stopped by COTA Monday morning and shot a few pics with my phone. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Just saw this aerial video tweeted by @suttonimages:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zn_susU3X4[/youtube]