Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pierrre
pierrre

Re: Ferrari F1-75

MachineCo. wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 02:07
I don't think Ferrari came by this design lightly. regardless of what Gary says about it being designed by 2 different teams that didn't meet in the middle.... judging by the haas release, I'm pretty sure Ferrari are quite aware of the benefits of a slim style sidepod. And looking at Alfa, I'm pretty sure they have some idea of the benefits of the large undercut.
The side view of the sidepods remind me of the F2002. And that was a pretty good car.
this has to be the case, the 2022 cars was initially a 2021 regulation moved forward, teams had ample time on simulations to decide what to work on...wont be surprised that some teams started working on this new regulation once it was confirmed, lightly maybe...probably when it was still going to be a 2021 car

kebab
kebab

AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:17
managed to unlock some higher res images :wink:
Brightened for detail+

The rear suspension is very unique with the lower wishbone is very thick and has the attach points very close to each other with the front arm cover the driveshaft. The attache points are further back when compare to those of the upper wishbone which are further front. The attach point of the pullrod are also further to the front and probably same(ish) with the previous car.

To me the rear suspension of this car is unique, especially the lower wishbone which I haven't seen other team doing anything similar apart from the covered driveshaft.
Last edited by kebab on 18 Feb 2022, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

jagunx51

is there any rules about wastegate pipe exit?

............!!!!

f1316
f1316

JPower wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 05:04
organic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 04:50

B Sport analysis. He has a nice angle of the miniscule undercut on the F1-75.
Perfect description of the sidepods IMO. Maxed out the height to push front tire wake way outside and keep it there, but used the inner sidepod scoop to push air towards the center of the car.
Yes - these new regulations force teams to reconsider what a sidepod does, since the other gubbins they got used to having to control airflows are no longer available.

As such the edge of the sidepod *becomes* the barge board, tasked with dealing with tyre wake. But if you’re doing that, you’re losing out on airflow that would usually flow in the area where a large sidepod now lives. So what Ferrari has done is create a channel within the sidepod - having their cake and eating it, essentially.

That’s a simplistic view, of course, but I think helps explain the basic philosophy.

jagunx51

............!!!!

organic

NtsParadize wrote:
organic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 04:09
DiogoBrand wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 03:49

On a more technical note: Can someone explain what regulation was preventing teams from adding cooling louvers over the sidepods, what was the reason for it and why did they allow it again for the new regulations?
I believe louvres were previously banned by the 2009 R75 volume rule. I do not know if I'm 100% correct about the precise reason for the ban but the whole 2009 rule change seemed to try to clear/clean up the mid to rear of the cars in order to reduce turbulence. The removal of these cooling louvres was part of that turbulence & rear "clean up" attempt.
And why did they allow it again?
One of the heads of the new regs covered this in an f1tv video I watched. Obviously their intentions with the new regs is to make following easier by reducing the effect of wake; the regulation development team tried opening up volume boxes for teams to place louvres and found little influence on the aerodynamic wake of the car. I would imagine that they have allowed development in most volumes that they deem to be free from excessive exploitation by the teams and louvres are one of these areas.

I believe the same video mentioned that initially they were planning on not opening up the area, but they saw no reason to keep it closed if they saw no significant effect on the wake.

If you'd like the source of this information I'd be willing to do the digging if you are unable! Just let me know if you want me to find it.

kebab
kebab

jagunx51 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 05:16

https://i.imgur.com/jlOJ4vF.png
Yes, here it is

3.8.2 Exhaust Tailpipe
Bodywork declared as “Exhaust Tailpipe” must:
a. Lie within the union of RV-TAIL and RV-TAIL-EXH.
Furthermore, when considering both sides of the car:
b. Over its last 150mm, the Exhaust Tailpipe must comprise of a single tailpipe and its
minimal supports.

organic

JPower wrote:
organic wrote:

Perfect description of the sidepods IMO. Maxed out the height to push front tire wake way outside and keep it there, but used the inner sidepod scoop to push air towards the center of the car.
I haven't seen anyone overlay the sidepod volumes on top of the overhead view of the Ferrari yet; is anyone able to do that/ have we not received overhead views? I would imagine if B Sport says they're up to legality limit then they are but it would nonetheless be nice to get the visual representation. That first time seeing the VF-22 with the legality boxes was pretty special for me.

I like the Ferrari idea of creating a wall to the front tyre wake. The McLaren idea of attempting to push it outboard but retain slim sidepods seems naive to some extent? Perhaps I am assuming too much of my "CFD eyeballs"

JPower
JPower

organic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 05:25
JPower wrote:
organic wrote:

I haven't seen anyone overlay the sidepod volumes on top of the overhead view of the Ferrari yet; is anyone able to do that/ have we not received overhead views? I would imagine if B Sport says they're up to legality limit then they are but it would nonetheless be nice to get the visual representation. That first time seeing the VF-22 with the legality boxes was pretty special for me.

I like the Ferrari idea of creating a wall to the front tyre wake. The McLaren idea of attempting to push it outboard but retain slim sidepods seems naive to some extent? Perhaps I am assuming too much of my "CFD eyeballs"
That is what he suggested in his review of the MCL36. I think mentioned that he didn't understand how McLaren was going to handle the tire wake with their design. I guess we'd need the teams to actually show and explain to us to verify.

jagunx51

kebab wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 05:24
jagunx51 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/jlOJ4vF.png
Yes, here it is

3.8.2 Exhaust Tailpipe
Bodywork declared as “Exhaust Tailpipe” must:
a. Lie within the union of RV-TAIL and RV-TAIL-EXH.
Furthermore, when considering both sides of the car:
b. Over its last 150mm, the Exhaust Tailpipe must comprise of a single tailpipe and its
minimal supports.
I mean the wastegate pipe ..... so far, only Ferrari has it joining the main pipe far outside the bodywork .... Or, is it related to PU performance?

............!!!!

Rodak
Rodak

godlameroso wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 00:28
Hoffman900 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 00:25
Dude, the air coming off the engine is ~140c, different times of day/cloud cover, etc is inconsequential if anything. 140c vs 30c = 180% increase in kV.
Dude, the cooling air coming out of the the radiator will not be at the temperature of the coolant. That's why it cools it. It's cooler; the air heats up and the coolant cools down and the twain shall meet.

warpomex
warpomex

organic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 04:44
holeindalip wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 04:39
Why would any rain pool on the side pod when it’ll run down the louvers?
There's definitely a local minimum at the bottom of the sidepod that will not flow into any louvres and one could imagine water filling up this region:

https://i.imgur.com/h400niS.png

I hope you like my paint skills 8)
Easy... Drill a hole at the bottom and make sure it does not fall onto anything not insulated (everything should be anyways).

As soon as the car starts moving, I don't think any water will stand there.

Henri
Henri

Manfer wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 01:55
f1316 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 01:30
RedNEO wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 01:02
What’s the betting that if either Red Bull or Mercedes rock up with identical sidepods, Anderson and co. suddenly change their tune?
ANSYS should ask how these journos have managed to develop CFD eyes.
Gary Anderson lost credibility in 2019.. so dnot take him seriously.. i.m confident in the car

aircooledtwin
aircooledtwin

AtlasZX wrote:
Could this be a thing? the undecut design have an high pressure area near the floor that is a low pressure area? and without bargeboards and vortex generators, the venturi tunnels sucks air from the undercut? where the ferrari solution create a low pressure area around the sidepods?
http://i.imgur.com/seyurAC.jpg
Interesting thoughts. Particularly in yaw there could be significant pressure gains above the outside sidepod at the inner wall of that channel? Might the separation of pressure zones you suggest, have a marked effect in downforce applied to the outer rear with consequent gains in cornering grip?

Blackout

kebab wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:17
managed to unlock some higher res images :wink:
Brightened for detail+

https://i.imgur.com/iR0WnpO.png

The rear suspension is very unique with the lower wishbone is very thick and has the attach points very close to each other with the front arm cover the driveshaft. The attache points are further back when compare to those of the upper wishbone which are further front. The attach point of the pullrod are also further to the front and probably same(ish) with the previous car.

To me the rear suspension of this car is unique, especially the lower wishbone which I haven't seen other team doing anything similar apart from the covered driveshaft.
No many teams did this in the past. AFAIR Mclaren did it first between 2014 - 2016, Then RB, then Merc in 2020... and now Ferrari and Alfa have copied it. Some call it the reversed lower wishbone.
Last edited by Blackout on 18 Feb 2022, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.