Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DAMNINice

Re: Mercedes W13

This would have been such a beauty without the shark fin.

reminds me of the J191 with it's beautiful engine cover shape.
REal men play with twins!

atanatizante

This W13 picture somehow resembles with Mercedes AMG Project-One Hypercar :

Last edited by atanatizante on 18 Feb 2022, 23:44, edited 3 times in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

shady
shady

I wonder what they have taped to the tip of the nose there..

cplchanb
cplchanb

DAMNINice wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:05
This would have been such a beauty without the shark fin.

reminds me of the J191 with it's beautiful engine cover shape.
respectfully disagree. that huge void just looks empty and strange. it needs to be filled with something...

cplchanb
cplchanb

shady wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:33
I wonder what they have taped to the tip of the nose there..
go pro

'Tis me, just me.
'Tis me, just me.

timoth wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 20:03
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 9tPtR.html

The part about PU positioning (Merc vs Ferrari) is very interesting. Merc has pushed PU as backward as possible, while Ferrari has pushed PU as forward as possible. There were rumors that with the understeer-y nature of new cars, RedBull was trying to put PU forward and immediately behind the cockpit. We haven't seen RedBull yet, but Ferrari clearly has done this.
It seems that in terms of weight distribution and Center of Gravity, this PU placement has helped Ferrari, but Merc on the other hand has much slimmer sidepods thanks to pushing PU backward and using more centerline cooling.

I wonder which solution will be more effective with the new cars?!!
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-spac ... 180958478/

Pic to illustrate and my point about balance. In air racing where COG is important, the only (semi) succesful custom built unlimited racer, Tsunami, had all the mass that stayed constant in the extremities, (pilot and engine) with consumables like fuel and ADI mixture pretty much in the middle. So COG would vary as little as possible throughout the race.
Granted, such variations of COG are much less important in racing cars than in racing planes; but if Merc are trying to get the power unit as far back and from what I understand, having the cockpit far forward, maybe they're chasing something similar to that plane in terms of balance.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

timoth wrote:

The part about PU positioning (Merc vs Ferrari) is very interesting. Merc has pushed PU as backward as possible, while Ferrari has pushed PU as forward as possible. There were rumors that with the understeer-y nature of new cars, RedBull was trying to put PU forward and immediately behind the cockpit. We haven't seen RedBull yet, but Ferrari clearly has done this.
It seems that in terms of weight distribution and Center of Gravity, this PU placement has helped Ferrari, but Merc on the other hand has much slimmer sidepods thanks to pushing PU backward and using more centerline cooling.

By regulation the fuel tank must be behind the driver and inside the safety cell, impossible to put the PU "immediately behind cockpit "

I doubt any of them have a PU in a much different place than the others.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 19 Feb 2022, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:56
timoth wrote:

By regulation the fuel tank must be behind the driver and inside the safety cell, impossible the put the PU "immediately behind cockpit "

I doubt any of them have a PU in a much different place than the others.
I was just getting ready to point that out myself.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Mitch2.0

Mchamilton wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 19:29
Henri wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 19:09

Pretty cool
the sheer amount of exposed floor on this car is crazy
Agreed, does anyone else just look at this concept and feel it looks superior as far as airflow to the diffuser is concerned?

mwillems

Mitch2.0 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 01:53
Mchamilton wrote:
Henri wrote:

Pretty cool
Agreed, does anyone else just look at this concept and feel it looks superior as far as airflow to the diffuser is concerned?
The floor reminds me a little of the F22 raptor, it's trying to deflect radar as much as work with the airflow. It;'s such a beautiful car that also looks very fast. The tunnel entrances are fantastic and this car has retained the packaging of the previous year, not needing to use the sidepods to manage outwash as others have due to the unique tunnel entrance.

It just looks bloody amazing. As a Mclaren fan I'm highly jealous. The detailing is immense, I hope that mercedes aren't still hiding anything.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Mitch2.0 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 01:53
Mchamilton wrote:
Henri wrote:

Pretty cool
I’m a Ferrari fan, and yes I do look at this and can’t help but think it’s superior (granted I have absolutely no technical knowledge).

I expected most cars this season to be as slim as possible, to have as much air passing directly over the diffuser, and increasing its ability to suck air out. Seeing this makes sense. Seeing the Ferrari makes less sense to me right now.

JordanMugen

e30ernest wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:37
The mirror has a nice vane running behind it over the sidepod.
Yes, that is a nice feature. I guess that's some kind of loophole in the wording. I think those two loopholes (this winglet and the AM/Ferrari double bib on the tea-tray) are the kinds of things that can be quickly and easily copied by everyone.

west52keep64 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:42
Incredibly tight packaging
I wouldn't go that far, the Mercedes' famously large plenum is not even sticking out unlike on the McLaren. I think it's more of a mild packaging like say the 2019 Force India.

NicoS

atanatizante wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:31
http://postimg.cc/rKd3zc5G

This W13 picture somehow resembles with Mercedes AMG Project-One Hypercar :

http://postimg.cc/JDfJqbdz
The angle of photography or the background?

zibby43
zibby43

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 02:46
e30ernest wrote:
Yes, that is a nice feature. I guess that's some kind of loophole in the wording. I think those two loopholes (this winglet and the AM/Ferrari double bib on the tea-tray) are the kinds of things that can be quickly and easily copied by everyone.

west52keep64 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:42
Incredibly tight packaging
I wouldn't go that far, the Mercedes' famously large plenum is not even sticking out unlike on the McLaren. I think it's more of a mild packaging like say the 2019 Force India.
That’s merely one facet of the packaging.

I’d argue that in virtually every other respect, this is Merc’s most incredible packaging job ever.

The floor real estate is something to behold.

Blackout

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 02:46
e30ernest wrote:
Yes, that is a nice feature. I guess that's some kind of loophole in the wording.
That's a trend since 2019.