Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ced
Ced

Re: Ferrari SF23

LM10 wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 12:52
Subscription required. What does it say?
Disable browser adblocker

hollus

It is also in Italian... @Giando, what are you focusing on? In English, please.
Rivals, not enemies.

ScrewCaptain27

hollus wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 13:48
The article talks about how the front of the chassis has been lowered.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

JPower
JPower

Gilles27Kimi7
Gilles27Kimi7

Mostly talking about chassis changes at the front to accomodate the new suspension. The S-Duct (bypass duct) was studied by sevral teams, but not used on overweight 2022 cars.

https://www.formu1a.uno/innovazione-fer ... lla-sf-23/

Giando

hollus wrote:
Yes sorry guys i thought you could access to that page...

Can i put it simple?
I wrote to Nugnes on wednesday and showed him my drawings about the front suspension/chassis subject, which you can find at pages 9, 10, 11 and 12 of this very thread.
I told him to unleash Piola and verify my hypotesis... and well, they did.
I would have appreciated a tiny mention (just... "a fellow reader of our website highlighted this and this..."), but ehi... i knew it was gonna be like that, so no problems... (not the first time actually aha).

Piola's drawing

Article's translation
The Ferrari SF-23 continues to show surprises and the careful analysis of the images of the presentation leads to the discovery of other innovations which are not limited only to the bypass duct which has alarmed the whole paddock.

(...)

The SF-23 showed another different approach from the F1-75: finally in Maranello have decided to work on the front suspension, while maintaining the well-tested push rod scheme. Indeed, in the image by Giorgio Piola, it is visible how the shape of the chassis has been modified in the front part.

The approach of the front has been changed more than it seems: the two triangles with carbon covers that have been specially designed to laminate the flows according to the wishes of Diego Tondi's staff, aerodynamics chief. Not only that but the suspension arms have been lowered so that the chassis is also in line with the nose which is more scooped on the sides in the lower part.

The yellow dash-line shows how the chassis rises towards the Venturi channel and the vertical intake of the bypass duct, a sign that the introduction of this concept has been evaluated with great attention in the definition of the entire front part of the SF-23.

The photograph allows us to see that the keel of the Ferrari reaches the leading edge of the tea-tray, and there is no longer the double splitter that Ferrari had immediately copied to the Aston Martin AMR22 already for the presentation of the F1-75.

:mrgreen: 8)

Vanja #66

Giando wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 16:03
Piola's drawing
https://postimg.cc/YvsV0qjC
It would make sense to make the chassis low all the way and avoid abrupt changes in geometry (both for stiffness and aero), but do we have an actual photo that shows this?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Giando

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 17:06
Giando wrote:
Piola's drawing
It would make sense to make the chassis low all the way and avoid abrupt changes in geometry (both for stiffness and aero), but do we have an actual photo that shows this?
Not really, not yet... what intrigues me is this... i can't see any real difference in the upper chassis surface above the drivers' legs compared to 2022 in relation to the height of the front tyres... so, given that usually engineers try to stay within the minimum required size... is it really possible that they have increased the section of the front part of the chassis? uhmmm... I imagine that - mabye - the inferior surface section could also be U-shaped and not flat/straight... what do you think?

Vanja #66

Giando wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 17:13
Not really, not yet... what intrigues me is this... i can't see any real difference in the upper chassis surface above the drivers' legs compared to 2022 in relation to the height of the front tyres... so, given that usually engineers try to stay within the minimum required size... is it really possible that they have increased the section of the front part of the chassis? uhmmm... I imagine that - mabye - the inferior surface section could also be U-shaped and not flat/straight... what do you think?
Yes, that's an option too. However, inverted U section would create a lot of stress on the bottom rear pickup point, so it will be curious to see what their real solution is. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xwang
Xwang

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 17:20
Giando wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 17:13
Yes, that's an option too. However, inverted U section would create a lot of stress on the bottom rear pickup point, so it will be curious to see what their real solution is. :)
But it was a solution used in 2000s, if I remember well

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yep, back to twin keels.

Andi76
Andi76

Giando wrote:
hollus wrote:
Yes sorry guys i thought you could access to that page...

Can i put it simple?
I wrote to Nugnes on wednesday and showed him my drawings about the front suspension/chassis subject, which you can find at pages 9, 10, 11 and 12 of this very thread.
I told him to unleash Piola and verify my hypotesis... and well, they did.
I would have appreciated a tiny mention (just... "a fellow reader of our website highlighted this and this..."), but ehi... i knew it was gonna be like that, so no problems... (not the first time actually aha).

Piola's drawing

Article's translation
The Ferrari SF-23 continues to show surprises and the careful analysis of the images of the presentation leads to the discovery of other innovations which are not limited only to the bypass duct which has alarmed the whole paddock.

(...)

The SF-23 showed another different approach from the F1-75: finally in Maranello have decided to work on the front suspension, while maintaining the well-tested push rod scheme. Indeed, in the image by Giorgio Piola, it is visible how the shape of the chassis has been modified in the front part.

The approach of the front has been changed more than it seems: the two triangles with carbon covers that have been specially designed to laminate the flows according to the wishes of Diego Tondi's staff, aerodynamics chief. Not only that but the suspension arms have been lowered so that the chassis is also in line with the nose which is more scooped on the sides in the lower part.

The yellow dash-line shows how the chassis rises towards the Venturi channel and the vertical intake of the bypass duct, a sign that the introduction of this concept has been evaluated with great attention in the definition of the entire front part of the SF-23.

The photograph allows us to see that the keel of the Ferrari reaches the leading edge of the tea-tray, and there is no longer the double splitter that Ferrari had immediately copied to the Aston Martin AMR22 already for the presentation of the F1-75.

:mrgreen: 8)
Obviously you were right from the very beginning!

Andi76
Andi76

matteosc wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 16:18
Andi76 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 23:09
matteosc wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 22:18

I am sure that there is a reason for this positioning, but it is not clear to me how it would reduce losses and improving airflow.
In pretty much the same way a vortex generator does.

After seeing the analysis of KYLE.ENGINEERS here, I believe that the exposed lower impact structure is not an advantage. Maybe it would have hurt more in the floor, or maybe it was too expensive to change its position.
Found an image from the lower SIS and i think Kyle is wrong this time. This definetely has an aerodynamic function. Ferrari didn't do it by chance, and in this high-pressure zone it's a natural choice and it would be negligent not to use it accordingly.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 00:13
matteosc wrote:
Andi76 wrote:

After seeing the analysis of KYLE.ENGINEERS here, I believe that the exposed lower impact structure is not an advantage. Maybe it would have hurt more in the floor, or maybe it was too expensive to change its position.
Found an image from the lower SIS and i think Kyle is wrong this time. This definetely has an aerodynamic function. Ferrari didn't do it by chance, and in this high-pressure zone it's a natural choice and it would be negligent not to use it accordingly.

https://postimages.org/
This view shows the blister in a generous way, almost like a wing...but it's just a lighting effect to my eye.

it's not a wing. It's truly a boring blister. After all, there is no regulation preventing them from putting blisters anywhere they like. The fact that this one lies on top of the SIS means it's just to cover the SIS.

organic

Andi76 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 00:13
matteosc wrote:
Andi76 wrote:

https://postimages.org/
If they want to move sis it has to go somewhere. They wanted the undercut but didn't want to put it in the floor like RB. It's possible for it to just be an acceptable compromise for them