[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
G-raph

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

I understand that the floor rules needed to be clarified and re-written, but I won't lie, I'm not excactly pleased by this change that makes my car suddendly illegal only 2 weeks before the next race.

I also appreciate the work that has gone into improving the quality and realism of the mandatory parts, but I'm not sure having everyone to redesign their floor and bodywork to fit the new Halo and Gearbox was really worth the effort.

So with that in mind, can we agree that after Race 02 there should be no more rule changes, and no more changes to the mandatory surfaces? We should really be developing our cars in-between races, not re-designing the basics again and again. Thanks in advance!

Ft5fTL

G-raph wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 00:45
I understand that the floor rules needed to be clarified and re-written, but I won't lie, I'm not excactly pleased by this change that makes my car suddendly illegal only 2 weeks before the next race.

I also appreciate the work that has gone into improving the quality and realism of the mandatory parts, but I'm not sure having everyone to redesign their floor and bodywork to fit the new Halo and Gearbox was really worth the effort.

So with that in mind, can we agree that after Race 02 there should be no more rule changes, and no more changes to the mandatory surfaces? We should really be developing our cars in-between races, not re-designing the basics again and again. Thanks in advance!
I'm quite happy with the changes, it makes this competition closer to the real deal. I agree with the ruleset changes but im open to changes to the mandatory parts for realism reasons.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

spacehead3

G-raph wrote:
Race 02 there should be no more rule changes, and no more changes to the mandatory surfaces? We should really be developing our cars in-between races, not re-designing the basics again and again.
I second this.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

G-raph wrote:
I understand your discomfort, but it's also a matter of points of view: from my perspective, a detail of the bottom of your car was illegal, even though it was realistic and very technically interesting, and the change to the rules allows you to keep a similar concept for the second race. The biggest disadvantage is for those who have developed a floor that was perfectly and strictly compliant with the original rules and now have to add details that were not initially allowed.

I realize I have the opposite point of view to yours, but I think both are acceptable thoughts and that the problem was in the imperfect wording of the standard, now improved and which could not be kept in the initial version.

As for the mandatory components: the change does not involve major changes (perhaps a tweak to the balance), while the change to the position of the Halo was necessary because the original was evidently incorrect.

yinlad

I try to think of it as a technical directive closing an ambiguity between races, I don't think it's caused any massive changes to anyone's vehicle to meet legality, though I may be mistaken.

Car update wise, I thought I was making good progress ahead of R02 but I'm finding that the difference between fast and normal sims has reduced significantly as I've made gains, to the point that they are within 5-10% for the iteration count I run. So who knows what will happen now, hopefully I haven't actually gone backwards haha. I should be in a position to show the r02 car soon
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

LVDH wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 23:09
Have you thought of contacting SolidWorks for some free 1yr accounts to their personal license? The credibility of this site and the year-over-year growth of this competition might just get some corporate sponsorship. A simple logo on all published renders would be a small price to pay. That then opens the door to a CFD server and tyre supplier sponsorship, etc, especially if the social media promotion of this series was on point.

This could then lead to using these models for sponsored online sim racing. Like a model pack for rfactor (haven't looked into anything recently). I think you guys have a hit! And I look forward to watching it continue to evolve.
Paying sponsors has been a dream for a long time. But to achieve that, there are many puzzle pieces still missing. But I do think with these new renders, we have created a very attractive place for new sponsors.

G-raph wrote:

In general, rule changes do not happen within two weeks of a race. In this case there was much discussion about the change happening even in advance. So do not worry, as long as driver safety is not in question, in future, there will also not be any changes without two weeks of designing left.

G-raph

LVDH wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 08:58
In general, rule changes do not happen within two weeks of a race. In this case there was much discussion about the change happening even in advance. So do not worry, as long as driver safety is not in question, in future, there will also not be any changes without two weeks of designing left.
Thank you!

CAEdevice wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 11:14
I understand your discomfort, but it's also a matter of points of view: from my perspective, a detail of the bottom of your car was illegal, even though it was realistic and very technically interesting, and the change to the rules allows you to keep a similar concept for the second race. The biggest disadvantage is for those who have developed a floor that was perfectly and strictly compliant with the original rules and now have to add details that were not initially allowed.
Just to clarify, I'm not complaining about the rule change at all.
I'm just saying that 2 weeks before a race is a bit tight to react. And I had posted pictures of my car with the floor winglet a full month before that.

Anyway, as I'm sure you all worry about it ( :lol: ), you'll be pleased to know that after all those changes I have recovered to the exact same downforce number as Race 01 but reduced drag by 0.025. That's with the fast settings, so who knows what will happen with the real simulation.

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

Personal note : This will be my last race for 2023 so I wanted to release my car renders early. I wont be able to continue this year due to personal reasons. I hope to see you all in the future. Best wishes for the rest of the season.

Car notes : This car has improved the cooling to the acceptable levels (at least in my sim settings lets hope it pans out in the race too). Have gained about 120 points of downforce while shedding a little drag. There is soo many obvious places to improve with time and effort but this has to be it for this vehicle sadly. That said I still don't think I could have hit more than -5.5 Cl with this vehicle even if I fixed all the problematic parts that were obvious to me. So big props to Leaders for achieving that and showing us what's possible.
Here are the renders (some mild additions may be made in the submitted vehicle) ;

yinlad

Short of a few last minute pieces this is the R02 car. Not really sure where it sits performance wise as correlation to a fine long solve has shifted after every surface has changed. But certainly should be below -4cl now at a similar or less drag level than R01 which was the aim for R02.
MVRC - Panthera

spacehead3

No big visual changes for me this race, just some floor tweaks. Tried copying some things from Graph and Variante but most of them didn't work on my car, so that's annoying.
Max Taylor

yinlad

I've somehow managed to make a car that's worse on the slow sim than the fast one 🤣 this slow Vs fast correlation is a nightmare for me lmao
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

I'll use the 2 day extension for this race. I can confirm this changes on my entry:

CAEdevice

Very professional press release. Can I share it on LinkedIn? Or (better idea), if you publish it on LinkedIn, the official MVRC page will share it.

By the way: I also submitted a car with significant improvements, but not so fast as I wanted. I mostly focused on the floor.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 09 Jul 2023, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Ft5fTL

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:08
Very professional press release. Can I share it on LinkedIn? Or (better idea), if you publish it on LinkedIn, the official MVRC page will share it.

By the way: I also submitted a car with significat improvements, but not so fast as I wanted. I mostly focused on the floor.
I'm planing to release it with the renders after finalising the car. Meanwhile here is the Libre Office Writer template file of the release for download if anyone wanna use it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UtzD3F ... sp=sharing
also i converted it to google docs:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/158P ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Ft5fTL on 10 Jul 2023, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

Busor
Busor

Hi all,

about 3 weeks ago I discovered this challenge and just submitted my first model. For now I'm hoping I have submitted all mandatory parts and that I'm not disqualified right away.. let's hope for the best :lol:. Obviously my time was limited, so I tried to have a simple but clean starting point.
Looking forward to racing with you.

Cheers,
Busor
Busor