2024 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
yepp4
yepp4

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

I don't know why they publish it now, Joe Saward was talking about this last month: https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2024/05 ... doulchard/

There have been rumours for some time that the team might be for sale. These were denied, but in recent days it has emerged that de Meo has been shopping around to secure an engine supply for 2026, which can only mean that he is considering giving up Renault’s own project, which is being developed at Viry-Chatillon. This is not speculation and has been confirmed by two extremely good sources

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Why don't they just call up Andretti and sell the team. They're clearly not serious about F1.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

diffuser

PapayaFan481 wrote:
17 Jun 2024, 20:27
Why don't they just call up Andretti and sell the team. They're clearly not serious about F1.
Getting out of PU might be better for them. This means they're screwed if they don't get out of PU.

If you're gonna sell, you're not gonna stay in the PU business.

Foryster
Foryster

PapayaFan481 wrote:
Because they need the team as marketing banner for the Alpine brand. Simple as it is.

Team is now financially independent - visibility of the brand globally is there - you would need to spend millions on commercials to get this effect. And you have it for free (ok - for the cost of Viry).

I think you would easily spend all the money from selling within at least 2 years, still having less commercial effect.

And the brand will grow. Now electric hothatch - just started. Then SUV. And special versions of Renault cars.

Foryster
Foryster

diffuser wrote:
17 Jun 2024, 21:55
PapayaFan481 wrote:
Getting out of PU might be better for them. This means they're screwed if they don't get out of PU.

I think the opposite. While selling its easier to sell a team that can have a contract with every PU manufacturer.
Selling a team that is sticked to one PU (the weakest one) is more difficult. Especially that you dont want to buy the whole engine factory.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Foryster wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 09:35
PapayaFan481 wrote:
Because they need the team as marketing banner for the Alpine brand. Simple as it is.

Team is now financially independent - visibility of the brand globally is there - you would need to spend millions on commercials to get this effect. And you have it for free (ok - for the cost of Viry).

I think you would easily spend all the money from selling within at least 2 years, still having less commercial effect.

And the brand will grow. Now electric hothatch - just started. Then SUV. And special versions of Renault cars.
Not exactly creating an image of them being world beaters though. As Tomo says on YouTube, their F1 team is becoming an embarrassment. Can't build a decent car, can't hold onto drivers and now having to resort to buying a PU from a competitor.... Oh how the mighty Renault has fallen.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Jambier

Foryster wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:

Same here.

ALPINE brand name will stay in F1, they already sold 24%, budget cap allow them to be here with not many money involved.

Then the engine costs money, it seems that they are already not top notch for 2026, so using VIRY for WEC (where they have much more chance to win) is not a bad idea.

Then Alpine will be in F1 with a engine from another manufacturer. Like McLaren is. I don't see any issue here, I prefer them to have a good Mercedes engine, build all the others parts (including gearbox) and be competitive and stay in F1 rather than the actual --- show

And indeed, the road cars will now be 100% EV, so it makes sense in that case as well

Foryster
Foryster

PapayaFan481 wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 10:05
Foryster wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:

Not exactly creating an image of them being world beaters though. As Tomo says on YouTube, their F1 team is becoming an embarrassment. Can't build a decent car, can't hold onto drivers and now having to resort to buying a PU from a competitor.... Oh how the mighty Renault has fallen.
Yeah but this is 2024. In 2023 and 2022 there were podiums, even win. It was looking ok globally. And that;s enough for a brand little known through the world. For people not watching F1 but seing articles and news in TV about the races - they will see the brand name and that they compete.

Its a huge boost of brand visibility.

They are now fully solded with the volumen of cars they are able to produce. The plant works 24hours a day, 3 shifts.

diffuser

Foryster wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 09:37
diffuser wrote:
17 Jun 2024, 21:55
PapayaFan481 wrote:

I think the opposite. While selling its easier to sell a team that can have a contract with every PU manufacturer.
Selling a team that is sticked to one PU (the weakest one) is more difficult. Especially that you dont want to buy the whole engine factory.
The article said, they weren't gonna sell the PU division, they were just gonna move all engineers into Renault projects.

Also, Alpine F1 and Renault F1 PUs aren't 1 company. They are a works team, the idea would be that they work closely together. Alpine F1 buy the PUs from Renault F1, it might be for $1 but they buy them. Meaning that buying Alpine F1 would have 1 price that wouldn't include Renault F1 PUs. The Viry Site probably gets used for more than just F1.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Jambier wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 12:29
Foryster wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:

Same here.

ALPINE brand name will stay in F1, they already sold 24%, budget cap allow them to be here with not many money involved.

Then the engine costs money, it seems that they are already not top notch for 2026, so using VIRY for WEC (where they have much more chance to win) is not a bad idea.

Then Alpine will be in F1 with a engine from another manufacturer. Like McLaren is. I don't see any issue here, I prefer them to have a good Mercedes engine, build all the others parts (including gearbox) and be competitive and stay in F1 rather than the actual --- show

And indeed, the road cars will now be 100% EV, so it makes sense in that case as well
All the reports I've seen say they'll have to use Honda or Red Bull Powertrains..... Now wouldn't THAT be ironic lol

diffuser

PapayaFan481 wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 22:58
Jambier wrote:
Foryster wrote:

Same here.

All the reports I've seen say they'll have to use Honda or Red Bull Powertrains..... Now wouldn't THAT be ironic lol
They can negotiate with anyone. If they can't get a deal done with anyone, they'd end up Honda. The way it works is, Audi and RBR are ruled out cause they're new. Merc and Ferrari each supply more teams than Honda. So they end up with Honda.

Jambier

diffuser wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 02:28
PapayaFan481 wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 22:58
Jambier wrote:

Same here.

They can negotiate with anyone. If they can't get a deal done with anyone, they'd end up Honda. The way it works is, Audi and RBR are ruled out cause they're new. Merc and Ferrari each supply more teams than Honda. So they end up with Honda.
Which is a very good option.
I have no faith at all in Audi and RBPT for 2026 engine, so anyone of the others will be good

Farnborough
Farnborough

Ferrari will have spare capacity after removal of Sauber supply end of 2025.

Marketing link into Alpine road sector would look good and with considerable cachè in short term for them too.

Foryster
Foryster

Farnborough wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 10:43
Ferrari will have spare capacity after removal of Sauber supply end of 2025.

Marketing link into Alpine road sector would look good and with considerable cachè in short term for them too.
They could team-up with Ferrari when it comes to politics and cooperation.

FW17

https://racingnews365.com/alpine-signs- ... as-advisor

Flavio Briatore will officially become Renault/Alpine's advisor

Flavio Briatore is to make a return to F1 with the organisation he left 15 years ago, RacingNews365 understands.

Alpine staff were apparently informed of the move at their bases in Enstone and Viry on Thursday evening.