2024 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill
Bill

Re: 2024 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 07 - 09

most teams are close together Brawn vision is being slowly realised

Spacepace

Has anyone posted about the fans on Friday that were turned away from the circuit by the police? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formu ... anned.html

F1 sure isn't doing it's self any favours. Belgium, Las Vegas and now this. Doesn't sound like fans will be refunded either. Kind of disgusting and it will rightfully hurt Liberty in the long run

Jambier

Bill wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 07:36
most teams are close together Brawn vision is being slowly realised
It seems indeed that we can have some different cars performing good depending of the track and be closer

Season will be better than last one for sure

search

organic wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 05:56
2 stopper predicted. Could open up some interesting possibilities tomorrow for a good race even if dry
here's what the teams have left for the race. Most kept 2 sets of hards, Aston, RB, Sauber and Haas two sets of M instead.

Strategy Guide: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 26cAVsvRdD

Dunlay
Dunlay

Mogster wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:26
ringo wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:15
The track did get darker and temps drop it seems. Alonso took the last of the sunshine before the clouds came.

Well for the race tomorrow, I do fear Max and Lando are the true leaders on race pace here.
George, Max into turn 1 is an accident waiting to happen. Lando is no threat, he will step aside for Max.

Not sure how much Lewis can recover from P-7. He has Lando, Piastri, Riciardo, Alonso to fight through. Will be a busy race for Lewis!
Mercedes can get on the podium with at least 1 car.
Aye, Max and George in the gravel is a distinct possibility. George won’t concede as readily as Norris and Leclerc have tended to.
Max has everything to lose in the championship if gets aggressive to shove George. Leclerc is not too far off in championship and Red Bull doesn't seem to have any upper hand over the field in terms of pace. So going for harakiri and damaging the car could see Max at the back of the field and ending the race well outside of top 5. More than George, he should be worried about hungry McLarens shoving him off the track. Max needs to be patient and play it wise.

bluechris

Dunlay wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 08:54
Mogster wrote:
ringo wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:15
The track did get darker and temps drop it seems. Alonso took the last of the sunshine before the clouds came.

Well for the race tomorrow, I do fear Max and Lando are the true leaders on race pace here.
George, Max into turn 1 is an accident waiting to happen. Lando is no threat, he will step aside for Max.

Not sure how much Lewis can recover from P-7. He has Lando, Piastri, Riciardo, Alonso to fight through. Will be a busy race for Lewis!
Mercedes can get on the podium with at least 1 car.
Aye, Max and George in the gravel is a distinct possibility. George won’t concede as readily as Norris and Leclerc have tended to.
Max has everything to lose in the championship if gets aggressive to shove George. Leclerc is not too far off in championship and Red Bull doesn't seem to have any upper hand over the field in terms of pace. So going for harakiri and damaging the car could see Max at the back of the field and ending the race well outside of top 5. More than George, he should be worried about hungry McLarens shoving him off the track. Max needs to be patient and play it wise.
If he plays it safe, maybe McLaren's will eat him for breakfast so is a double sword in my opinion.
Either way, if its not raining i expect MB cars that opted for lower downforce, will have tyre troubles during the race. Ferrari/MCLaren/RB opted for higher downforce so maybe they know something.

DDopey
DDopey

Looking at these times and how close the field comes together, can you imagine how close it will be in 2025. And then of course, when it is so close, F1 changes the regulations.... every fricking time.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

What are your bets for the race ?

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

bluechris wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 10:13
Dunlay wrote:
Mogster wrote:

If he plays it safe, maybe McLaren's will eat him for breakfast so is a double sword in my opinion.
Either way, if its not raining i expect MB cars that opted for lower downforce, will have tyre troubles during the race. Ferrari/MCLaren/RB opted for higher downforce so maybe they know something.
The Mercs did not "opt" for lower downforce, they've been consistently the fastest cars in low speed corners all weekend.

chrisc90

Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 11:01
Ver, Rus, Nor. I did have Hamilton in my fantasty prediction for 2nd, but the qualifying has knocked that on the head based off the quali results.

Anything less than a podium for 1 mercedes car wont be a good outcome of the weekend IMHO.

Weather lottery? Quite possibly. Could be interesting - especially if Ferrari opted to go for a wet setup. Bolt the hard on and go long and wait for any rain?

Wouter

search wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:53
Sieper wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:39
search wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:35
Marko was talking about it on German Sky as well. He said that Verstappen's out lap was too quick, and he paid for it in the final sector.
Could be. Not much reference yet and also the pressure was on.
yeah, sure, and he also didn't mention that Verstappen benefitted from it in sector 1, of course ;)
The Power of Dreams!

venkyhere
venkyhere

Dunlay wrote:
Yes, agree with this. But thinking from Mercedes' perspective, they are getting this opportunity to be on the front, with a genuine chance to win the race, after near 2 yrs of wilderness post brazil 2022. If anything the team will be pleading with Russel "no terrorism in T1 if you lose the start". So there are two sides to the same argument. I can't wait for the race to start !!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 11:14
Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 11:01
Ver, Rus, Nor. I did have Hamilton in my fantasty prediction for 2nd, but the qualifying has knocked that on the head based off the quali results.

Anything less than a podium for 1 mercedes car wont be a good outcome of the weekend IMHO.

Weather lottery? Quite possibly. Could be interesting - especially if Ferrari opted to go for a wet setup. Bolt the hard on and go long and wait for any rain?
Frankly I don't see Russell standing on the podium. If one Merc achieve it will probably be Hamilton

I think McLaren will win this one even if I had to go to the bookmaker Verstappen would be my choice

chrisc90

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 01:55
organic wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 00:33
Russell tow was worth 2 tenths on his used tyre run.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GPlW8NeXEAA ... &name=orig
How the hell did Max keep up with that? Looking forward to the telemetry. RedBull might just heat up it's tyres properly in the race and normal service will resume.
I posted it a few pages ago, but heres a slightly better one.

Whatever happened to Max through turns 6-7 cost him half a second on the run down to turns 8-9. But the gap at the start of the sequence of corners only has Max a tenth up before hitting the brakes. So where did the 4 tenths go for Russell on the entry into 6-7 - given the apex time difference was .521

The same seems to happen again into the hairpin. Equal into the hairpin, but Max gets 0.38 gain on the apex. Then up the straight Russell claws it all back with the help of the tow.

Even at the final chicane Max is 0.150 faster at the very apex.

However - looked back on Russell's two Q3 laps. 12.000 and the 12.026 those weird apex gains/loses are present. Image

I wonder what is going on there. Would be good to see more detailed video footage of what lines each driver is taking through the corners. Whatever Russell is doing seems to be working giving him a greater run out of the corner compared to Max. Maybe that's the limitation of the RB being able to ride over the kerbs and settle down on corner exit nicely?

Race pace wise on the lap below I randomly selected is does seem that Max has a little more pace in the bag, and Russel was running a slightly higher engine mode - what that is worth when you correct for fuel and race trim engine modes not sure.

You can tab through a lot of the medium runs and can see that the RBR is running in a much less engine mode throughout. I do recall from the Discord group calling out the lap times and the engine modes so they were definitely playing around with those modes on the RBR side of the field today. Not sure about Russell unless someone was following his longer runs through FP3. This is pretty common of RBR to hide a bit of the race pace in the longer runs.

mclaren111

Lando's 2nd Win... :D :D