2024 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona-Catalunya, June 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona-Catalunya, June 21 - 23

Shouts to ZHO. Demanded the old chassis thinking that is the answer to his woes and still gets a hiding from BOT regardless
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

search

214270 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 09:40
Shouts to ZHO. Demanded the old chassis thinking that is the answer to his woes and still gets a hiding from BOT regardless
The car actually looked broken indeed, though. He was like a second off from everyone else in Monaco and Montreal, which normally just doesn't happen. Yesterday he was somewhat competitive, at least

search wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 09:47
214270 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 09:40
The car actually looked broken indeed, though. He was like a second off from everyone else in Monaco and Montreal, which normally just doesn't happen. Yesterday he was somewhat competitive, at least
It’s half a sec though. Save for the quali session ‘failures’ PIA & PER, it’s the largest gap. Moving forward you have to take the updated car & just figure it out, because if the 0.5s is all in the upgrades you’ve got no chance to change the narrative with that deficit
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Aesop
Aesop

ringo wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 23:35
venkyhere wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:13
Was looking at the final quali lap telemtry traces of NOR and VER, courtesy F1-tempo

- T5 and T7 is where Norris is gaining a cumulative 0.2

- T10 (and T13-14 is where VER is clawing back this same 0.2

- inherent driving style difference means VER is braking earlier and entering corners earlier, inorder to get onto throttle slightly earlier at exit (the 'more straightning of corners' driving style I was referring to last week). NOR is however, much smoother (like Button) with his brake and throttle inputs and carries higher minimal speeds through corners, helped possibly by the MCL38 being superior to RB20 in their current setups, when it comes to slow/medium corners. The Mclaren is able to rotate better than the more understeery RB20, I think. High-speed corners, RB20 is the undisputed king. The only exception to this is T10 where both cars/drivers are behaving almost exactly same.

It's almost confirmed in my mind, that the MCL38 has matched (possibly even surpassed) the RB20 in terms of ability. The Mclaren is, I believe, a much wider-window car than the RB20 as of today. The way they are going about the weekend, is with clockwork efficiency and precision like what RB19 used to do in 2023 - no setup drama, no driver complaints, right on the money from FP1 itself. The only remaining doubt is how the tyre deg of MCL38 (in normal summer temp conditions) is going to be, w.r.t the RB20. If that too proves better tomorrow, we can safely say the Mclaren is THE CAR of 2024, usurping the crown from RB20.
The Mcl has not surpased the RB20. RB20 still the better car. Lando is just doing his thing. Just by the mere fact some corners are full throttle for Max is enough evidence the RB20 is still in a different league. It maybe just needed less setbacks on Friday to extract more. If you have the best high speed cornering and better corner exits and braking like Rb20, then it's difficult to be beaten over the race. There is more margin to manage the race. My opinion, but I see Lando needing to push more to keep ahead. We have had close Qually all year and redbull still in a different league in the races. But who knows!
After the last three races and after this quality one can hardly say the RB20 is in a different league. I don't know what happened but McLaren closed the gap, and now has the edge in low speed corners it seems. That is where the most time is gained. It looks like the better overall package. I can't see Verstappen pulling away today like he could in the first 5 races.

langedweil

Aesop wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 10:29
ringo wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 23:35
venkyhere wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:13
Was looking at the final quali lap telemtry traces of NOR and VER, courtesy F1-tempo

- T5 and T7 is where Norris is gaining a cumulative 0.2

- T10 (and T13-14 is where VER is clawing back this same 0.2

- inherent driving style difference means VER is braking earlier and entering corners earlier, inorder to get onto throttle slightly earlier at exit (the 'more straightning of corners' driving style I was referring to last week). NOR is however, much smoother (like Button) with his brake and throttle inputs and carries higher minimal speeds through corners, helped possibly by the MCL38 being superior to RB20 in their current setups, when it comes to slow/medium corners. The Mclaren is able to rotate better than the more understeery RB20, I think. High-speed corners, RB20 is the undisputed king. The only exception to this is T10 where both cars/drivers are behaving almost exactly same.

It's almost confirmed in my mind, that the MCL38 has matched (possibly even surpassed) the RB20 in terms of ability. The Mclaren is, I believe, a much wider-window car than the RB20 as of today. The way they are going about the weekend, is with clockwork efficiency and precision like what RB19 used to do in 2023 - no setup drama, no driver complaints, right on the money from FP1 itself. The only remaining doubt is how the tyre deg of MCL38 (in normal summer temp conditions) is going to be, w.r.t the RB20. If that too proves better tomorrow, we can safely say the Mclaren is THE CAR of 2024, usurping the crown from RB20.
The Mcl has not surpased the RB20. RB20 still the better car. Lando is just doing his thing. Just by the mere fact some corners are full throttle for Max is enough evidence the RB20 is still in a different league. It maybe just needed less setbacks on Friday to extract more. If you have the best high speed cornering and better corner exits and braking like Rb20, then it's difficult to be beaten over the race. There is more margin to manage the race. My opinion, but I see Lando needing to push more to keep ahead. We have had close Qually all year and redbull still in a different league in the races. But who knows!
After the last three races and after this quality one can hardly say the RB20 is in a different league. I don't know what happened but McLaren closed the gap, and now has the edge in low speed corners it seems. That is where the most time is gained. It looks like the better overall package. I can't see Verstappen pulling away today like he could in the first 5 races.
I guess on RBR's side it's simply the outcome of the turmoil of the first few months that put them on the backfoot. That and the fact that the dev ceiling is getting closer and closer.
But as always, as things start to coverge another set of rules gets implemented .. which is sad for proper racing.
HuggaWugga !

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

What I found interesting was that track temperatures were 10° higher in 2024 compared to 2023. This doesn’t look good for Ferrari…
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

Juzh

organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:30
Considering that when neither car was being towed, McLaren were gaining time to RB on the main straight:

The tow from Perez was worth about a tenth for Verstappen, even if Norris also received one.

https://i.postimg.cc/tgFrCv4F/image.png

Without the tow, the gap to pole would've approached 2 tenths. (2 hundredths + usual deficit in straight to McLaren + 1 tenth from tow)
You can compare Verstappen's both Q3 laps. In the second one he gained around one and a half tenths to his first run.
I believe close to 2 tenths real gap to norris is reasonable.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Silent Storm wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 13:30
What I found interesting was that track temperatures were 10° higher in 2024 compared to 2023. This doesn’t look good for Ferrari…
Just from pure math on laptime, the 2024 car is 1.2% faster than the 2023 car.
RB19 from last year would have been a midfield car this year.
Everyone team has added that 1.x% performance, I believe.

mclaren111

Some Humor... 8)

chrisc90

venkyhere
venkyhere

Ha ha ha nice one... loved the alpines.
Didn't understand two dialogue blubs - norris (hand gestures) and verstappen (belt)

chrisc90

Are we going to see how aggressive Norris can be if Max gets alongside him at the start? Is he going to push Max over towards the pitlane like we have seen in previous years

3 stopper is only apparently 5seconds slower than the 2 stopper according to Ruth on F1TV

Headwind down the start/finish straight today, so the DRS is going to be powerful

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Looks sunny.

JordanMugen

venkyhere wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 13:45
Just from pure math on laptime, the 2024 car is 1.2% faster than the 2023 car.
RB19 from last year would have been a midfield car this year.
Everyone team has added that 1.x% performance, I believe.
Superb stuff! =D>