2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tommy.G
Tommy.G

Re: 2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

What Leclerc pulled off today is unbelievable…

ispano6

The hard seem to always last just long enough. The graining seems to be a false reading of what's left of the tyre.

PlatinumZealot

Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:14
What a way to drop the race by Mclaren. They should have left Oscar out. Had nothing to lose by that except being undercutby Norris which wouldn’t have been a catastrophe…
Yes. When you have the fastest car you can be flexible on stratetgies and ypu must always put track position first.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

fourmula1
fourmula1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:34
Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:14
What a way to drop the race by Mclaren. They should have left Oscar out. Had nothing to lose by that except being undercutby Norris which wouldn’t have been a catastrophe…
Yes. When you have the fastest car you can be flexible on stratetgies and ypu must always put track position first.
Mlc don’t seem brutal enough. Their mindset is too gentle for where they are. When merc was dominant they could afford a perfectly fair approach, they didn't have to worry about other teams. Mcl is operating the same way but losing out to other teams. They need to get ruthless and prioritize BOTH championships. Not just wcc.

Sevach
Sevach

Mclaren should've one stopped Piastri, he was 5s ahead of Charles and their pace was matched.
Seems like they were more concerned about covering Lando after the Hungary debacle.
Lando was falling down and would lose second place, though he was still ahead of Charles...
If they weren't so eager to stop him, and waited 3/4 more laps, would make Piastri's position even stronger.
Shockingly bad performance by RBR.

Charles, Ferrari Fantastico!!!!

MtthsMlw

organic

Just heard Bearman cheering

Deserved though, considering what he did previously for Hulkenberg that earned many of those points.
Last edited by organic on 01 Sep 2024, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Spacepace

"the most unsporting driver on the grid"

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Spoutnik wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:54
Who will try the one stopper (with the track rubbering/improvement) ?
Apparently, this happens with the new tracks and these hards tyres (i.e Spa)

organic

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Another thing about McLaren team orders. In this situation, when it’s a second place for Piastri, would he really care if he lost that to Lando in this case? I’m sure he wouldn’t mind, knowing that he beat Lando fair and square anyway. So why not issue an order there?

Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:49
Another thing about McLaren team orders. In this situation, when it’s a second place for Piastri, would he really care if he lost that to Lando in this case? I’m sure he wouldn’t mind, knowing that he beat Lando fair and square anyway. So why not issue an order there?
I suppose it’s because NOR is not in striking distance just yet. NOR needs to get there first, then the team orders.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

bananapeel23

Never thought I'd see the day that they handed out the 12th penalty point.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

214270 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:51
Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:49
I suppose it’s because NOR is not in striking distance just yet. NOR needs to get there first, then the team orders.
They could easily arrange that though, on the final lap when it was clear Oscar couldn’t win… Anyways, lots of questions to ask themselves now. I didn’t think it would matter here as I expected Verstappen to move forwards anyway, but they really had a golden opportunity here in the end and decided not to take it. Strange stuff.

venkyhere
venkyhere

.. and LeClerc emerges like a Phoenix. Showed his skill, hope this silences the 'ferrari let go of the wrong driver' narrative. He has won the slowest and fastest races of the calender - Monaco and Monza. Home race for driver and home race for constructor. Thoroughly deserved. Didn't let the Mclarens walk away in the first medium stint, that was important.

McLaren can go sink their heads into the sand. In the whole of 2024, they haven't taken a 'gamble' decision, if not in such races with 0.5s/lap advantage over the next best team, when ? When are they going to come out of 'safe zone' decisions ? Doesn't McLaren trust either driver to 'run with management' to slow down graining on left front ? They were hammering 1s/lap faster than others in the middle stint, when they didn't need to, could've easily done the 1 stop. The team's inexperience with race management is showing. Stella needs to rile up a few people there.

McLaren right now has a car like the RB19 of 2023, but also has a strategy team like 2022-ferrari.

Hamilton drove really well, the Mercedes is properly quick now in any track. It's the 2nd best car.

The Redbull. Well. RB20 is a sad sight. Clearly the 4th fastest car, and a long margin behind 3rd. It's slower in race trim than the top 3 teams, than how much it's slower in quali trim. The strategists did go for the aggressive H-H-M, but the car didn't have pace in any tyre compound. P6 was the theoretical best after Russel's early stop and they got it. The drivers have no reason to feel that the race was bad. The car looks like a midfielder. Redbull in 2024, are in the same 'zone' as Mercedes were for the entirety of 2022 and 2023 - struggling with car balance and consistently losing people throughout the year.

Btw, the trophies looks horrible. Looks like a badly made head gasket :D