2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Note my emoji’s :wink:
:lol:
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Lando said after Australia that his car will be the same in Japan as it was in Australia so I’m not expecting any upgrades.
It’s being reported that other teams are bringing some to Japan so I’m expecting McLaren to slip further away from Ferrari and Red Bull and possibly towards Merc and Aston. Time will tell.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Re:upgrades,the last I heard was from Zak, who said Miami will be the next.

stephen

Tomsky wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 11:32
Looking lovely. It should look great on the track.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

All teams brought medium-high downforce to Suzuka. Possibly subject to weather conditions.

Emag
Emag

There is so little paint in this car it's depressing.
I know it matters nothing when it comes to performance, but come on, is it really worth having this dull-looking car for the 1kg of weight some more color would add?

I think for the brand image they are trying to build with the papaya McLaren, the look is a rather important aspect of it. They have to go full orange/papaya just like Ferrari goes full red because it's part of their image and brand identity.

I mean, look at this beauty :

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Sponsors are more visible and better able to use their own color schemes on the black surface area.

Emag
Emag

Seanspeed wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 11:11
Sponsors are more visible and better able to use their own color schemes on the black surface area.
Not a good excuse. By using contrasting colors you can make sponsors quite visible. Both Aston Martin and Ferrari utilize the same technique and they have no problems with sponsor exposure while maintaining an image that befits their brand.

De Wet

Emag wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 10:45
I know it matters nothing when it comes to performance, but come on, is it really worth having this dull-looking car for the 1kg of weight some more color would add?

I think for the brand image they are trying to build with the papaya McLaren, the look is a rather important aspect of it. They have to go full orange/papaya just like Ferrari goes full red because it's part of their image and brand identity.

I mean, look at this beauty :

https://i.imgur.com/kILu1SG.png

Stunning !!!!

De Wet

mwillems wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 10:03
We do brake earlier, also at turn 3 it is the same. I doubt it is performance difference in brakes though. If you recall at other tracks we'd spoken about how Mclaren bleed speed early before the bigger braking zones. Not sure if this is related.

Do we turn into the corner earlier and try and hit the apex earlier? This would fall in line with what you are saying about a better exit than Ferrari.

In answer to BMMR as to why we gained more time relative to Ferrari at this track... we are better in high speeds than Ferrari, pure and simple. Once the speed of the airflow negates our design issues, the car behaves beautifully and I'd argue is at least as good as the Red Bull. This track has less of the corners we don't like and more of the ones we do. Take away the final two corners and we'd be 3 tenths ahead of everyone at Australia.

Japan has a couple of corners that might hit us hard, but then this car seems to be great with Tyre deg and Japan is a high Deg track. Japan also will be cooler which plays to the McLaren's preferences, so I'm unsure as to what will happen here.

Our brakes...

SilviuAgo

De Wet wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 13:25
mwillems wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 10:03
We do brake earlier, also at turn 3 it is the same. I doubt it is performance difference in brakes though. If you recall at other tracks we'd spoken about how Mclaren bleed speed early before the bigger braking zones. Not sure if this is related.

Do we turn into the corner earlier and try and hit the apex earlier? This would fall in line with what you are saying about a better exit than Ferrari.

In answer to BMMR as to why we gained more time relative to Ferrari at this track... we are better in high speeds than Ferrari, pure and simple. Once the speed of the airflow negates our design issues, the car behaves beautifully and I'd argue is at least as good as the Red Bull. This track has less of the corners we don't like and more of the ones we do. Take away the final two corners and we'd be 3 tenths ahead of everyone at Australia.

Japan has a couple of corners that might hit us hard, but then this car seems to be great with Tyre deg and Japan is a high Deg track. Japan also will be cooler which plays to the McLaren's preferences, so I'm unsure as to what will happen here.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKSQd3HasAA ... name=large

Our brakes...
That's a piece of art =D>

SilviuAgo

CjC wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 23:16
Lando said after Australia that his car will be the same in Japan as it was in Australia so I’m not expecting any upgrades.
It’s being reported that other teams are bringing some to Japan so I’m expecting McLaren to slip further away from Ferrari and Red Bull and possibly towards Merc and Aston. Time will tell.
Hope that Suzuka layout to be in favor of a McLaren car without upgrades vs Upgraded Aston (new floor and new sidepods). Also Red Bull brought some visible upgrades to RB20. Till now no info about Ferrari or Mercedes. Seems they took McLaren approach and are waiting for Miami or Imola.

For those who are curious here are some pics. If this bother I will remove them.

CjC
CjC

SilviuAgo wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 14:39
CjC wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 23:16
Hope that Suzuka layout to be in favor of a McLaren car without upgrades vs Upgraded Aston (new floor and new sidepods). Also Red Bull brought some visible upgrades to RB20. Till now no info about Ferrari or Mercedes. Seems they took McLaren approach and are waiting for Miami or Imola.

For those who are curious here are some pics. If this bother I will remove them.

Yea it’s as I expected to be honest, I believe Ferrari might have 2 updates?
Astons is quite large.

Although I totally get why Red Bull and Aston have brought the upgrades it’s a shame that they have- Red Bull especially as it would have been nice to see if McLaren were able to close the delta down to Red Bull compared to last years race but considering how many updates are on the Red Bull I fear the delta to them (and no doubt to pole) will have grown. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though🤞🏻

SilviuAgo

Not to forget that the weather forecast is showing rain on race day. So may affect the upgraded RB and Aston. Considering other races in Japan rain may change a lot.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Emag wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 10:45

I understand your disappointment re the black but after watching the first 3 races, I think this is an exceptionally well designed livery. 90% of the time we see the front or the back of the car -- not the side -- and the front has a ton of eye-searing orange, which stands out really well. The car is very distinctive on track