2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 20:01
djos wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:39
I don’t know why you are bringing up Daniel, he’s not relevant to the conversation.

Lando has pointed out that Mclaren have needed to fix the front end issues for years
“But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to get rid of that for next season.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lando-nor ... for-years/

It seems as that still needs to be fixed, it might not be possible this year. 🤷‍♂️
Because its how your thoughts have been framed time and again.

In any case my point was that no driver has suggested they were ignored, your statement suggesting Key has "Obviously ignored driver feedback" has no basis in any publicly available fact. If you are happy to demonstrate where this is made clear, I'll happily change my tune.

Otherwise it's best to avoid blanket unfounded opinions posing as a fact.
Im not bringing him up, so please stop saying Im framing my post around him, im not. AFAIK, Daniel never once publicly talked about issues with the car handling, only Lando has.

It's pretty clearly from Lando's comments that he's been providing the "weak front end" feedback for a long time - it stands to reason that the issues still being present means his feedback has been either been ignored, or not taken seriously.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

runningmanz wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 02:42
Good drive from Oscar. Hard luck to Lando on the softs. Can't wait to get some drag off this car. Looks like we are tracking in the right direction now.
Considering Oscar been quite sick all weekend, he's done an amazing job so far.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 02:49
runningmanz wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 02:42
Good drive from Oscar. Hard luck to Lando on the softs. Can't wait to get some drag off this car. Looks like we are tracking in the right direction now.
Considering Oscar been quite sick all weekend, he's done an amazing job so far.
yeah a fantastic effort from the kid. Hopefully he feels alot better today.

MrGapes

Just watched the sr… looks like the softs were awful haha. To be honest I’ve always thought the team were quite conservative strategy wise so I’m okay with them at least trying. Oscar did well despite how he is feeling, Lando was pretty quick at the end on the mediums so let’s see tomorrow

michl420
michl420

They run high downforce on their own decision but I think there is still a DRS efficient problem. One the other hand the loss in S3 is "only" 3 tenth, so maby it's worth. In the race it creates obviously probems.

mwillems

djos wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 02:48
mwillems wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 20:01
djos wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 14:39
I don’t know why you are bringing up Daniel, he’s not relevant to the conversation.

Lando has pointed out that Mclaren have needed to fix the front end issues for years

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lando-nor ... for-years/

It seems as that still needs to be fixed, it might not be possible this year. 🤷‍♂️
Because its how your thoughts have been framed time and again.

In any case my point was that no driver has suggested they were ignored, your statement suggesting Key has "Obviously ignored driver feedback" has no basis in any publicly available fact. If you are happy to demonstrate where this is made clear, I'll happily change my tune.

Otherwise it's best to avoid blanket unfounded opinions posing as a fact.
Im not bringing him up, so please stop saying Im framing my post around him, im not. AFAIK, Daniel never once publicly talked about issues with the car handling, only Lando has.

It's pretty clearly from Lando's comments that he's been providing the "weak front end" feedback for a long time - it stands to reason that the issues still being present means his feedback has been either been ignored, or not taken seriously.
The team have also stated:
Too small a team
A lack of knowledge
Wind tunnel Development issues with Covid
Lost development time and budget issues (Covid)

then add the fact that maybe they tried and couldnt substantially improve it.

Plus it may have been a collection of issues and they were unable to identify and fix the right ones.

AND the possibility they decided not to look at this area. But I very highly doubt it. Both drivers fed back similar info to the engineers and there are posts from the team around specifically improving these areas for the drivers.

There is no clarity at all, you're just putting a randomly picked reason on the unpopular leaver that actually runs contrary to what the team themselves have said they are doing. And yeah I think it is the continuation of the dump on the car (And now James Key) and not on Daniel Ricciardo line, even if you haven't mentioned Daniel Ricciardo in this moment.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult and sorry for coming across that way if I have, but we need to stop posting uninformed tripe like those comments around Key. You have NO information to validate your statement and there are statements from the team that run contrary to what you are saying, and if that is how loosely you come to an outcome then your posts should be treated with the deepest suspicion until someone does the job and posts facts for you.
Last edited by mwillems on 30 Apr 2023, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

https://www.racefans.net/2023/04/30/mcl ... th-taking/
Team principal Andrea Stella said the soft tyre appeared to offer the best hope of getting Norris, who started 10th, past any of the cars ahead of him.

“We know that we had eight quicker cars ahead of us and points are given from P1 to P8,” he told media including RaceFans. “So we needed to do something in order to score points. That’s the first point of view.

“In all honesty, we didn’t [expect] the soft to behave like that. We thought that they would degrade, but we didn’t think they would grain so heavily. So this is something that manifested itself during the sprint and it was beyond our expectation.”

McLaren covered themselves each way by splitting their strategies between Norris and team mate Oscar Piastri, who lined up behind him in 11th place.

“We had one car on soft, one car on medium. So we thought we can split the risk because if we have a very eventful sprint with a Safety Car, Virtual Safety Cars and so on, there might be an advantage in being on the soft. But if it’s high degradation on the soft, we have the other car on medium. So I think you have to see this also from a team point of view where you cover all the options.”

Stella said the decision to run Norris on softs was also motivated by a need to gather data for today’s grand prix. “It was important for us to learn a little bit for tomorrow because with the new format – which is exciting, you are always competing for something – we lost what was the P2 in the past in which you could do a long run.

“So you would have learned these things on Saturday morning, which you can’t [now]. It was also important for us to understand the degradation on the soft and now we have this bit of information.

“I think overall while, yes, now I would do the sprint on medium, there was quite a lot to look at from a team point of view and also in terms of learning for tomorrow.”

Norris also defended the team’s aggressive strategy call. “We knew it was a little bit of a gamble,” he said. “We didn’t go in and just think ‘oh, it’s the biggest gamble ever’. We thought it would not be a bad thing to do, have a better launch, a better first couple of laps, try to get into a good position knowing that there’s a good chance there could be some safety cars and VSCs and things, and being on a softer tyre at that point might not be too bad.

“I think everyone who did do the soft, or made a similar mistake, everyone struggled a lot with the degradation. So it was definitely a lot more than we thought. I guess it’s one of the challenges with this structure of weekend, not getting to do any long running on the softs.

“But we also maybe just didn’t do the best job of trying to understand it and things. It’s tough when you haven’t run it until then more than three laps. So it’s not purely a gamble but just what we thought was best and obviously wasn’t.”

However he admitted the soft compound is “a tyre I’ll probably stay away from” in today’s grand prix.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Norris was quite unbrave. :/

How damaged is Piastri's car?
Last edited by Szabi1112 on 30 Apr 2023, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

MrGapes

Szabi1112 wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 13:06
why try around Baku in my opinion... pace is looking very good, comparative to the guys ahead

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

MrGapes wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 13:17
Szabi1112 wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 13:06
why try around Baku in my opinion... pace is looking very good, comparative to the guys ahead
Agree, but it seemed to me that Lando could have been a liitle bit more aggressive :)

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

How damaged is Piastri's car?

Darth-Piekus

How did Norris get behind Ocon and Hulkenberg?

geogate
geogate

neither of them have pitted yet

Darth-Piekus

You mean that Hulkenberg and Ocon are in front because they haven't pitted yet?

billamend
billamend

McLaren _really_ needs to fix their drag.