COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

xpensive
xpensive

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

strad wrote:And the track will be great! The food and music in Austin will just be a bonus..not to mention the wimmen. :wink:
That's way off topic as well as a not very useful comment, mods, deduct at least three votes!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

Team suites look quiet a bit complex, and with all the wood construction (done one at a time) looks like it will be ready only in November.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:[img]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... _n.jpg[img]
[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... _n.jpg[img]
Team suites look quiet a bit complex, and with all the wood construction (done one at a time) looks like it will be ready only in November.
That's the only one being built. Confirmed by COTA rep.
Last edited by Richard on 05 Jul 2012, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:HS

Can you get some close up pics of the track side drains that are being installed (ones that are stacked by the tarmac).
I'll see what we can do, but the "good" camera is down and all my photos lately have been of the cellphone variety. My new Evo LTE does a fantastic job as long as I don't zoom. Once I use the digital zoom, all bets are off.
Looks like they are using slot drains which are a pain to maintain but at-least will not have the problem of a grate lifting

strad

Hey that works for me...Was it Japan where the grate came completely up and out.
Was it Montoya? Am I getting two events confused?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

strad wrote:Hey that works for me...Was it Japan where the grate came completely up and out.
Was it Montoya? Am I getting two events confused?
Montoya China 2005

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

YNN: Austin's F1 flight plans still up in the air:

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stori ... in-the-air

ETA:

The Austin Chronicle has some additional info re: USGP international charter arrivals:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/201 ... el-orange/
City Aviation Department staff is asking council today for $5.4 million to build a temporary customs facility to handle international charter flights arriving for Formula One. Staff say they've been told to expect about 200 international charter flight arrivals, including six to 10 jumbo jets and 10-30 other full-size commercial planes, even though Indianapolis, the last U.S. city to host F1, reported six to 11 total charter arrivals a year from 2001 to 2007, with "relatively few" direct international arrivals.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Simple reason for that, really. Austin is just a better city to be in. :D

I've never been to Indy. :lol:

strad

Why not? With everybody else up to the trough the City Aviation Department figures there should be something in it for them too.
I'm ready for the next big leap. We've talked about how things go along and then take a big step forward.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

200 international charter arrivals, yeah right...

The Indy xperience of 6 to 11 sounds more like it, but that is of course not what this is all about. This is about special treatment for the VIPs in their private jets, can you imagine MrE and Mateschitz lining up for immigration with the local riffraff?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

New GS at 6, looks like GA space is becoming scarce. Hope they open the central park area as GA and camping.

FW17

A comparison of the runoff area provided at COTA to Silverstone.

Wonder why new circuits are willing/made to pay so much more on these when they are not an absolutely necessity.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

WilliamsF1 wrote:A comparison of the runoff area provided at COTA to Silverstone.

Wonder why new circuits are willing/made to pay so much more on these when they are not an absolutely necessity.
Especially considering that if you actually USE the runoff area you have to give up like nine positions or get nailed with a drive-through.

ozzimark
ozzimark

thearmofbarlow wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Wonder why new circuits are willing/made to pay so much more on these when they are not an absolutely necessity.
Especially considering that if you actually USE the runoff area you have to give up like nine positions or get nailed with a drive-through.
I'd much rather see a driver make a mistake and have space to slow down the car instead of crashing into a wall at high speed.

I do prefer the gravel run-off to the paved run-off though, as drivers are more likely to be penalized for the off by getting stuck in the gravel.

strad

It's only because of huge runoff areas that don't punish bad driving that we have incidents like the much discussed Maldanado vs Hamilton incident.
Once again I call for kerbs that punish driving off track or using them,,the kerbs.
Sir Stirling Moss