2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

The car could have had pole without the Red Bull upgrades I feel.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:14
Pretty much halved the one lap deficit to Max since last Japan GP. And that's not basing against a non upgraded car. That's pretty impressive.
Lando drove his lap very badly last year.

CjC
CjC

Good session. Lando would have challenged for pole if the Red Bull hadn’t been upgraded.
I’m fearful for the race to be honest as I don’t think they’ll have good tyre deg but who knows- as always, I hope I’m proven wrong👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:23
Good session. Lando would have challenged for pole if the Red Bull hadn’t been upgraded.
I’m fearful for the race to be honest as I don’t think they’ll have good tyre deg but who knows- as always, I hope I’m proven wrong👍🏻
Apart from Bahrain, they've had great deg pretty much everywhere else and they were the best (or very close to) when it comes to tire wear in Australia. They did great here last year and now the prediction for rain in sunday is gone as well, so that removes another potential mixer.

I think they should do well here. It depends if the teams around make a big jump in terms of race pace, but this car has been good on maintaining the same relative pace from quali to race so I am slightly optimistic.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:22
Ben1980 wrote:
Pretty much halved the one lap deficit to Max since last Japan GP. And that's not basing against a non upgraded car. That's pretty impressive.
As far as I recall they both did good laps with minor mistakes at the final corners that cost each a tenth.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:18
Ben1980 wrote:
It's cooler conditions, it favours our car a little more than last year but yes, we do look like we have reduced the deficit to RB in Q. However, let's wait to see if they have simply set it up for the race, which I think they have.
I mean last year was pretty cool too. Excited for the upgrades, ideally we can truly challenge for poles at some upcoming circuits! Hopefully can secure the podium tomorrow to consolidate P3 in the constructors for now.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:30
CjC wrote:
Apart from Bahrain, they've had great deg pretty much everywhere else and they were the best (or very close to) when it comes to tire wear in Australia. They did great here last year and now the prediction for rain in sunday is gone as well, so that removes another potential mixer.

I think they should do well here. It depends if the teams around make a big jump in terms of race pace, but this car has been good on maintaining the same relative pace from quali to race so I am slightly optimistic.
Yea you are right.
I’m just basing it on how it looked on track in FP3, I think they might loose the rear tyres quicker than the other do
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:32
Tomsky wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:22
Ben1980 wrote:
As far as I recall they both did good laps with minor mistakes at the final corners that cost each a tenth.
If Lando drove worse than Oscar, then this is clearly not his best lap.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Emag
Emag

They improved by almost a second from last year. Different track conditions so not 100% comparable but a good delta nonetheless. It was the first "real" benchmark with 2023 since by Japan last year McLaren had pretty much bolted all the upgrades on that car.

Tzk
Tzk

A full second is an impressive improvement. Still not enough to catch RB, but still very good. Sadly McL is one of the slowest cars in the speedtrap, indicating they still got a bit too much drag.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:34
Emag wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:30
CjC wrote:

Yea you are right.
I’m just basing it on how it looked on track in FP3, I think they might loose the rear tyres quicker than the other do
FP3 is generally not representative and it highly depends on what the teams use it for. It is indeed the closest session to qualifying but it's rarely indicative of the real performance because track/weather conditions are also quite different to both the race and quali.

Lando said that podium was definitely in his target in the post quali interviews, but I understand your cautious approach. It's been a looong time since McLaren last started the season with a relatively decent car.

geogate
geogate

keep it is perspective though - just 5kph down on the best Red Bull, and they running a little more rear wing. The car isnt draggy

haza
haza

A 5kph deficit isn’t anything worth loosing sleep over the car isn’t that draggy at all you should look at cars like the Mp4/30,Mcl33 that had 20-30 kph deficit an were literal sitting ducks on straights