2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:45
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:42
https://i.postimg.cc/tgFrCv4F/image.png

Max flat in the final corner, Norris not. Red Bull slightly faster on all straights.

Interesting. It suggest the Red Bull is still more efficient?
Max is running more downforce but has lower minimum speed in every corner, and also gains on the following straight of every corner. Can assume that is down to max compromising apex speed for better exit ie driving style
I could also believe the run to T10 comes down to deployment yes

The gap before T1 is 1 tenth for Max when without tow he would usually lose time to Norris here.
The better exit doesn't seem to be worth much in the middle sectorto me. Based on the time delta, there's a permanent time loss from the slower speed corners in the middle sector that isn't quite made up for on the straights.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:47
organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:45
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:42
https://i.postimg.cc/tgFrCv4F/image.png

Max flat in the final corner, Norris not. Red Bull slightly faster on all straights.

Interesting. It suggest the Red Bull is still more efficient?
Max is running more downforce but has lower minimum speed in every corner, and also gains on the following straight of every corner. Can assume that is down to max compromising apex speed for better exit ie driving style
I could also believe the run to T10 comes down to deployment yes

The gap before T1 is 1 tenth for Max when without tow he would usually lose time to Norris here.
The better exit doesn't seem to be worth much in the middle sectorto me. Based on the time delta, there's a permanent time loss from the slower speed corners in the middle sector that isn't quite made up for on the straights.
Hard to believe RB with Monaco wing + BW are more efficient than McLaren using their medium-high wing

But yes looks like low speed understeer cost Max the pole. Potentially something for a flexi wing to solve, maybe also just a setup compromise for the race to protect the tyres

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cs98 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:46
Looks like slow speed understeer. Something for the flexi-wing to solve perhaps.

Also strange how much the deployment varies for Max between runs. Here is the run in Q2 compared to the first run in Q3. He didn't have a tow in either and the speed varies quite a lot down the main straight.https://i.imgur.com/HUrMLJT.png
Max mentioned the wind picking up in the session, so the wind can be a headwind or tailwind before T10 and T1.

Sergej
Sergej

McLaren did an incredible job in the last months.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:48

Hard to believe RB with Monaco wing + BW are more efficient than McLaren using their medium-high wing
okay this is true, I compared some earlier runs and I think some of Max's speed on the straight comes from the downforce helping to stay flat in T9 and T14. It's more obvious in the first runs of Q3. Norris is probably scrubbing the tires more and costing some energy.

organic wrote:
But yes looks like low speed understeer cost Max the pole.
Possibly. Those corners in the middle sector are also where the curbs are.

organic wrote:
Potentially something for a flexi wing to solve
no comment. :lol:

Sergej
Sergej

do you think that ability to take turn 14 faster can prove helpful tomorrow if Max needs to overtake ?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Sergej wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:28
do you think that ability to take turn 14 faster can prove helpful tomorrow if Max needs to overtake ?
Is he able to take T14 flat with plenty of fuel and old tires? Is he able to take T14 flat if he is in dirty air of car ahead.

I doubt it. But if he can - obviously that would help him gain on the car ahead.

Sergej
Sergej

he does not need to take it flat, of course is not possible on fuel tank; but it could be helpful to take it faster, not flat, than the car in front.

organic

Max:
"In terms of wake up call, I think we are pretty much very awake already with what's happening. We need to push on and bring parts to get faster and better. We've had a very dominant car last year. It's completely gone and we just need to really try and make a step ahead again."

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:28
Yes. T14 won't be flat tomorrow, but Max should be able to maintain more speed than others through there which is useful heading to a DRS straight with cars in a higher downforce trim (bigger slip stream).

organic

Max applies pressure to the team. Reality really. The rb20 is disappointing

"when I look at myself, I think that my qualifyings are actually even better compared to last year. But at the moment we are just falling short," said Verstappen
"It's clear that the teams around us have brought more updates than us so far. Ultimately [McLaren] are better than us, otherwise they wouldn't be in front of me. Of course we are also improving, but not enough compared to the rest.”
"If you have the strongest car from now on, you can catch up very quickly. McLaren also looked very strong in the long runs on Friday compared to the race. They are simply good, on any type of track and also on the tires. They have built a very solid package."
Red Bull itself has one major package of updates in the pipeline for before the summer break.
"Last year's dominance has completely disappeared."
Now it is important for us to take steps to continue winning. Can that be done quickly? I hope so. Because the others are making bigger steps than us. As a team, we always do well in terms of execution in qualifying and races. But we just lack speed
"Ultimately we need more speed to be champions"
Sounds like max thinks there will at least be a fight for the title

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Max has not made any mention of the larger windtunnel AND CFD allocation that Mclaren has...To be able to develop at the same rate as Mclaren, Red Bull more or less has to make educated guesses because they can't put as much in the windtunnel and CFD as Mclaren can. If anyone thinks that isn't making a big difference right now, then they are mistaken.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Was looking at the final quali lap telemtry traces of NOR and VER, courtesy F1-tempo

- T5 and T7 is where Norris is gaining a cumulative 0.2

- T10 (and T13-14 is where VER is clawing back this same 0.2

- inherent driving style difference means VER is braking earlier and entering corners earlier, inorder to get onto throttle slightly earlier at exit (the 'more straightning of corners' driving style I was referring to last week). NOR is however, much smoother (like Button) with his brake and throttle inputs and carries higher minimal speeds through corners, helped possibly by the MCL38 being superior to RB20 in their current setups, when it comes to slow/medium corners. The Mclaren is able to rotate better than the more understeery RB20, I think. High-speed corners, RB20 is the undisputed king. The only exception to this is T10 where both cars/drivers are behaving almost exactly same.

It's almost confirmed in my mind, that the MCL38 has matched (possibly even surpassed) the RB20 in terms of ability. The Mclaren is, I believe, a much wider-window car than the RB20 as of today. The way they are going about the weekend, is with clockwork efficiency and precision like what RB19 used to do in 2023 - no setup drama, no driver complaints, right on the money from FP1 itself. The only remaining doubt is how the tyre deg of MCL38 (in normal summer temp conditions) is going to be, w.r.t the RB20. If that too proves better tomorrow, we can safely say the Mclaren is THE CAR of 2024, usurping the crown from RB20.
Last edited by venkyhere on 22 Jun 2024, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

WT allocation gets recalculated about 4 times per season doesnt it? Mclaren have extra 180hours over Red bull at present I believe. Thats due to be re-calculated on 25th June so Mclaren will 'lose' some of their hours.

Credit to McLaren, said the same at the start of the season they would be the ones to watch. (Zak's ego will and has got the better of him from the 1 win they have managed) but it makes it much more interesting at the front now.

Be a interesting race tomorrow with the differing wing levels they are running. Will Mclaren still have such good deg like we have seen prior or will the larger wing on the RB help Max a little bit more. No team-mates around so its down to pure pace and the right strategy call tomorrow.

lio007

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:19
WT allocation gets recalculated about 4 times per season doesnt it? Mclaren have extra 180hours over Red bull at present I believe. Thats due to be re-calculated on 25th June so Mclaren will 'lose' some of their hours.

Credit to McLaren, said the same at the start of the season they would be the ones to watch. (Zak's ego will and has got the better of him from the 1 win they have managed) but it makes it much more interesting at the front now.
No, based on WCC standing on 30th June and 31st December.