2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
falonso81

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Charles lap was quite good up to the casio triangle (+0.2 down on Verstappen). He seemed to be a bit rough over the kerbs there but I can't seem to understand how it translated to 0.3 second loss. Should have been a tenth at best. Really worrying that he can't understand what is wrong and why he can't extract the lap time out of the car.

deadhead

Xyz22 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:55
scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:53
Xyz22 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:44
This was really bad.
Leclerc comments are also extremely worrying, saying that feeling is good but laptime isn’t.

Wonder what is going on at the moment.

Sainz did well getting that P4, but the gap is quite “small” to Charles so there is an issue that has to be fixed asap
The issue is the difference between a potential podium and P6 is now "small".
Yeah i know.
They need to understand what the hell is going on with the tyres. We had 0 clean Q3 in 4 races. Leclerc miles off in Q1 which i don’t really understand why and i fear neither do they. Hopefully i’m wrong about this.
I don’t think you are wrong. LEC side of garage seem somewhat lost and it could just be him not knowing why he is slow, which echoes his radio message at the end there.

Emag
Emag

falonso81 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:02
Charles lap was quite good up to the casio triangle (+0.2 down on Verstappen). He seemed to be a bit rough over the kerbs there but I can't seem to understand how it translated to 0.3 second loss. Should have been a tenth at best. Really worrying that he can't understand what is wrong and why he can't extract the lap time out of the car.
It didn't really seem that way in the telemetry :

But the loss in the final chicane is weird and quite similar for both Ferraris. It seems they are struggling mid-corner after the first entry. Some time is recovered with good traction at the exit, but not enough to balance the poor entry.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vasseur was also not happy at all which is absolutely relatable.

Also if the issue they had in quali in the last chicane will persist in the race it would make overtaking even more difficult

scuderiabrandon

Xyz22 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:10

Also if the issue they had in quali in the last chicane will persist in the race it would make overtaking even more difficult
It's definitely still there on the high fuel runs.

Xyz22
Xyz22

scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:16
Xyz22 wrote:

Compared to RB or everyone?
Anyway i understand not having a quick car in qualifying but they need to be on it execution wise. They can’t afford to waste a set in Q1. Having two new set in Q3 is key especially if the car is problematic.

scuderiabrandon

Xyz22 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:19
scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:16
Xyz22 wrote:

Compared to RB or everyone?
Anyway i understand not having a quick car in qualifying but they need to be on it execution wise. They can’t afford to waste a set in Q1. Having two new set in Q3 is key especially if the car is problematic.
Red Bull are the only ones we have like for like comparison with, so yes.

No one else around us did long runs on the medium

Cs98
Cs98

scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:01
Cs98 wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:38

Optimism not delusion. Perez looks very strong this weekend, Mclarens aswell. It will be a repeat of last year with smaller gaps. P4 to me looking at qualifying would be the best possible result.
Acting like you can't beat Norris is delusional. Perez might be possible with some luck.
You went from P2 to Norris pretty quickly :lol:

Perez race pace was pretty much in line with Verstappens, so I don't know why you get the impression he'll be in reach and Verstappen not. Add that to the fact that he starts P2, usually it would be from P5 when he is considered beatable.
Ferrari's race pace looked close to RB and Sainz is better than Perez. Norris is very possible to beat, Perez is a longshot but might be possible with the "most optimistic" outlook. You thinking P4 from P4 is the "most optimistic" outlook is delusional.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Cs98 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:40
scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:01
Cs98 wrote:

Acting like you can't beat Norris is delusional. Perez might be possible with some luck.
You went from P2 to Norris pretty quickly :lol:

Perez race pace was pretty much in line with Verstappens, so I don't know why you get the impression he'll be in reach and Verstappen not. Add that to the fact that he starts P2, usually it would be from P5 when he is considered beatable.
Ferrari's race pace looked close to RB and Sainz is better than Perez. Norris is very possible to beat, Perez is a longshot but might be possible with the "most optimistic" outlook. You thinking P4 from P4 is the "most optimistic" outlook is delusional.
There is no way we can overtake RBs on track with that final chicane embarrassing performance. Strategy could be an option if RB has a lot of deg which doesn’t seem the case looking at past races (Melbourne doesn’t really count as it was an outlier due to graining).

Also we can’t even use Leclerc strategically because he will start P8. This weekend has been a disaster for now.

Even beating Norris won’t be easy i feel.

Vanja #66

So basically Leclerc lost almost 0.15s to Sainz on the run to T1 and was tiny bit quicker on the rest of the lap. I hope it was an unlucky timed headwind and not a PU issue. I have to take my words back, he was well up to task in Q3, I hope we hear why he lost so much time and P4 or P5 on the start of the lap.

Both cars were losing 0.1-0.15s in Casio chicane to RB the whole weekend, so that's just setup differences. Leclerc was losing bit more usually. Esses and the whole S1 is honestly better than what I expected based on last year's Q3...

On a flat track without bumps RB can run really well and floor works better than on bumpy. On bumpy tracks Ferrari's definitely a lot closer and this trend is now confirmed. Ferrari need 4-5 tenths from Imola update to catch up to RB and if they get 3-4 it will be an amazing effort and success.

Also, does anyone know if Marko said Ferrari was running higher PU again in Q3? :lol:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:57
So basically Leclerc lost almost 0.15s to Sainz on the run to T1 and was tiny bit quicker on the rest of the lap. I hope it was an unlucky timed headwind and not a PU issue. I have to take my words back, he was well up to task in Q3, I hope we hear why he lost so much time and P4 or P5 on the start of the lap.
Two thoughts; is this seen on other drivers laps - nobody improved on the second run could this be the reason, or perhaps the exit was less than ideal - could the outlap be looked at if thats the case?

LM10
LM10

Would have expected more, but seems like Ferrari is still too conservative and looking too much at their race pace - to a point they lose track of their qualifying pace. The reason Charles says that everything feels well, but there is no more pace in the car is simply up to the car being well balanced and setup for the race in my opinion.

Comparing to last year’s fastest Q3 time from Ferrari this year’s fastest time is an improvement of 9 tenths. RedBull improved by 6 tenths and they’ve already brought a major upgrade which according to Marko has worked well.

If we consider that Ferrari is yet to bring an upgrade (I’m purposefully ignoring the minor modification to the rear suspension arm) and if we also consider that they again are focusing on races pace I don’t see the reason behind the overreaction of some people here describing the outcome as “extremely worrying”.

I can’t help but think that despite the good recent form of Sainz a happy Charles would have a clear edge in qualifying, but I think his poor qualifying pace relative to Sainz again underlines the conservative approach setup wise. Sainz excels when the car is less on edge while it’s the opposite for Charles.

Xyz22
Xyz22

LM10 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 11:42
Would have expected more, but seems like Ferrari is still too conservative and looking too much at their race pace - to a point they lose track of their qualifying pace. The reason Charles says that everything feels well, but there is no more pace in the car is simply up to the car being well balanced and setup for the race in my opinion.

Comparing to last year’s fastest Q3 time from Ferrari this year’s fastest time is an improvement of 9 tenths. RedBull improved by 6 tenths and they’ve already brought a major upgrade which according to Marko has worked well.

If we consider that Ferrari is yet to bring an upgrade (I’m purposefully ignoring the minor modification to the rear suspension arm) and if we also consider that they again are focusing on races pace I don’t see the reason behind the overreaction of some people here describing the outcome as “extremely worrying”.

I can’t help but think that despite the good recent form of Sainz a happy Charles would have a clear edge in qualifying, but I think his poor qualifying pace relative to Sainz again underlines the conservative approach setup wise. Sainz excels when the car is less on edge while it’s the opposite for Charles.
What is concerning is that they don’t seem to have a solution and that could make the team vulnerable to McL, AM and MB in quali which is what happened today. This means that it will be impossible to challenge RB. If they want to have a chance of winning races they have to put pressure all the time. Finishing behind other cars that are not RBs is not acceptable

Cs98
Cs98

CaribouBread wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 11:05
Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:57
Two thoughts; is this seen on other drivers laps - nobody improved on the second run could this be the reason, or perhaps the exit was less than ideal - could the outlap be looked at if thats the case?
Sainz had better speed on the main straight in his second run too. First run he was up 0,08s vs Leclerc before turn in, second run that was 0,05s. Could be downforce, could be deployment, but from watching the onboard I suspect it has to do with the line he takes in the last corner. He takes a wider line and gathers more speed, you can see his trace is higher than Leclerc already from the start of the straight. Thinking driver.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

I don’t think there’s been, or will be many cars through history that have been consistently good at every circuit. For me it’s not dramatically different to what most people have suggested may be the case this weekend. Behind RBR & Norris. Leclerc has clearly got some work to do getting comfortable with quali setup on the car, and it’s strange because that’s always been his strength. Long run data looks promising however so let’s see. Charles will probably need to pit into some clean air and go on a long stretch in the second stint if he has any hope of clawing back as many points as possible.