2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Max will start on the softs. Perez will start on the hards. That's my guess.

venkyhere
venkyhere

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:23
Perez starting on H means his race will be ruined. The 2022/23 strategy of "we have pace in hand anyway, so can overtake with tyre offset in the first 20 laps" doesn't apply anymore. If Perez wants to have any hope of making places, he has to start on S and look to use the superior DRS advantage to overtake the cars in front.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

venkyhere wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:30
AR3-GP wrote:
Perez starting on H means his race will be ruined. The 2022/23 strategy of "we have pace in hand anyway, so can overtake with tyre offset in the first 20 laps" doesn't apply anymore. If Perez wants to have any hope of making places, he has to start on S and look to use the superior DRS advantage to overtake the cars in front.
We know that Perez struggles to overtake in equal tire conditions to rivals (he destroys the tire) so building a strategy around that doesn't work. The thinking is to run a long first stint on a harder tire to those ahead. You trade ultimate pace for a longer first stint at a slower "virtual pace" that ends up giving you a big tire offset towards the end of the race.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

For once, we can discuss P2 starting position with reasonable optimism.

In Spain, P2 has a good chance to overtake the leader into T1. Max has had a lot of great starts from P2 and generally been a great starter this year.

DRS is enabled on the 2nd lap. There are 2 DRS zones. This will benefit Verstappen. If Norris defends the lead into T1, he will have to push his tires hard to open the gap enough to escape DRS. This could cost him tire life in the end of the first stint, as it has tended to cost Verstappen when he led.

Sergej
Sergej

I only hope no first turn drama between Max and Lando, keeping P2 is good, no need to force T1 risking a contact, 66 laps, 2 stops, plenty of opportunity to steal the win

of course if P1 is handed by a poor start by Lando / super start by Max, that is welcome :D

Rikhart
Rikhart

What is perez even doing in this team?

Sergej
Sergej

Rikhart wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:23
What is perez even doing in this team?
giving a valuable tow

they should use him like this every weekend from now on

Sieper

The Tow was pure coincidence. They were all in a queue exiting the pits. That he was clos(ish) to max and not someone else was by chance.

venkyhere
venkyhere

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:36
venkyhere wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
We know that Perez struggles to overtake in equal tire conditions to rivals (he destroys the tire) so building a strategy around that doesn't work. The thinking is to run a long first stint on a harder tire to those ahead. You trade ultimate pace for a longer first stint at a slower "virtual pace" that ends up giving you a big tire offset towards the end of the race.
I think there is a chicken-egg problem here - let's say he starts with H from P9 on grid, loses a few positions (due to S and M starters behind him) and settles into a P11/P12 by lap2. Then, he has to drive gently enough to warm up the H gradually but not allow himself to fall too much behind into the P14s and P15s, and be left with too much of a task to gain positions even if he is on a 1 stop. And then if there is a safety car around the first window of pitstops (when the likes of Sargeant are pushing their tyres beyond what they can take), he might gain 5-6 positions for free, but again lose places on the restart when he is on used H while others around are on fresh M or fresh H. So in my view, starting on H from P9 (rather than something like P16 in which case it's a no brainer to start on H) is fraught with risk, particularly because the driver is in poor form and doesn't have the confidence to push and make 'terrorism moves' like Russel does.

organic

Without the tow Verstappen would be down with the mercs. Quali shouldn't have been close

McLaren are a large amount ahead even at tracks where the RB20 should run best. I'd be surprised if they can be champion now

ME4ME

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:36
venkyhere wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
At this point we need to accept this is Perez natural position and there is little reason to expect him to make much progress.

Sergej
Sergej

organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:40
Without the tow Verstappen would be down with the mercs. Quali shouldn't have been close

McLaren are a large amount ahead even at tracks where the RB20 should run best. I'd be surprised if they can be champion now
WCC or WDC ? WCC is pretty much fuc*ed at this point, but for WDC is fully game on in my view, and that's thanks to Max; I am not too pessimistic at the moment, but surely I expect an effective upgrade to give some boost to the car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Piastri will make things difficult for Mclaren so all is not lost. He gives up too much time in the races for Mclaren to fully maximize their points potential each weekend. In that race gap between himself and Norris, you can fit Ferraris and Mercs with regularity.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 21:37
Piastri will make things difficult for Mclaren so all is not lost. He gives up too much time in the races for Mclaren to fully maximize their points potential each weekend. In that race gap between himself and Norris, you can fit Ferraris and Mercs with regularity.
If the Silverstone package is not enormous then the WCC is gone already. Perez will not be finishing better than p6-p8..

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:40

In the WDC Max has a colossal advantage.