Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mandrake
Mandrake

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Raaaakkeeeeeee!

gandharva

- reworked beamwing (middle part) with huge gourney flap
- DRD mounted and slit/inlet opened
- reworked diffusor shark-fins (only two fins instead of three)
Last edited by gandharva on 19 Feb 2013, 14:45, edited 3 times in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Wow, the tunnel is pretty impressively reworked. More of a bridge now than a tunnel.

gandharva

beelsebob wrote:Wow, the tunnel is pretty impressively reworked. More of a bridge now than a tunnel.
For me, the tunnel looks exactly identical to the one used in Jerez.

Timstr
Timstr

is the pipe blowing over the wishbones not a re-directing of the lateral cooling exits? They seem to be missing.
Could it make sense for them to no longer blowing sidepod exits over the top of the diffuser?

danielk
danielk

It seems due to Williams launch allot of the new parts on red bull have been overlooked. Im seeing what look like new tunnels close to the floor at the back from overhead shot. my eyes may be paying tricks though. There seems to be a number of changes on the back end. anyone have any pics?

Juzh

Anyone knows any meaningfull reason as to why would they run with such high rake?

Coefficient
Coefficient

Juzh wrote:Anyone knows any meaningfull reason as to why would they run with such high rake?
The rake is visible evidence of a car that can seal the diffuser edges very effectively with the exhaust gases. When this effect is achieved the rake can be increased which effectively increases the diffuser size. Without the sealing effect of the exhausts at the diffuser edges this amount of rake would cause the air under the car to spill out of the sides of the diffuser and also the tyre squirt would corrupt the flow therin. However, the exhaust gases are directed down between the rear wheel assembly and the diffusor edge to create a wall of high pressure gas preventing diffuser flow leakage and tyre squirt contamination. Clever hey?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

beelsebob
beelsebob

gandharva wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Wow, the tunnel is pretty impressively reworked. More of a bridge now than a tunnel.
Maybe the lights playing tricks with my eyes, to me, it looks like there's an exit under the EN of RENAULT.

Huntresa
Huntresa

gandharva wrote:- reworked beamwing (middle part) with huge gourney flap
I dont see pics of DRD?

Juzh

Coefficient wrote:
Juzh wrote:Anyone knows any meaningfull reason as to why would they run with such high rake?
The rake is visible evidence of a car that can seal the diffuser edges very effectively with the exhaust gases. When this effect is achieved the rake can be increased which effectively increases the diffuser size. Without the sealing effect of the exhausts at the diffuser edges this amount of rake would cause the air under the car to spill out of the sides of the diffuser and also the tyre squirt would corrupt the flow therin. However, the exhaust gases are directed down between the rear wheel assembly and the diffusor edge to create a wall of high pressure gas preventing diffuser flow leakage and tyre squirt contamination. Clever hey?
Thanks! Does look wierd though.

Coefficient
Coefficient

beelsebob wrote:
gandharva wrote:
Maybe the lights playing tricks with my eyes, to me, it looks like there's an exit under the EN of RENAULT.
Ya mean the little patch with 2 screws?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

gandharva

beelsebob wrote:
gandharva wrote:
Hm, can't see any outlet in this area.
Huntresa wrote:
gandharva wrote:- reworked beamwing (middle part) with huge gourney flap
I dont see pics of DRD?
Red circle:

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

DarkJRO

is it possible that under this little cover (see red circle) is a different attachment point for the upper wishbone (to generate a different rear geometry)?
if not, what is this cover used to be?
Greetings
Dark JRO