Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mikeerfol

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

oT v1 wrote:Any rumours on the main sponsor yet?? Even with honda money and a budget surplus going into 2014, it's a wasted year if don't get anything :\
mikeerfol wrote:Nothing to do with the 2014 team ;)
Come on man, it's as valid as any other Honda talk in the thread, and let's be honest will have a huge effect on the team!
Maybe, but remember there's the "Honda back to F1" thread.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

mikeerfol wrote:
oT v1 wrote:Any rumours on the main sponsor yet?? Even with honda money and a budget surplus going into 2014, it's a wasted year if don't get anything :\
mikeerfol wrote:Nothing to do with the 2014 team ;)
Come on man, it's as valid as any other Honda talk in the thread, and let's be honest will have a huge effect on the team!
Maybe, but remember there's the "Honda back to F1" thread.
do people actually read?

it's not a wasted year at all. they'll be having 100 MILLION USD each year handed out from honda certainly as of 2015,
but one might wonder whether they'll perhaps be getting some for 2014 already. VODAFONE, just to repeat for the thousand time, payed 50% of their sponsorship contract for 2014. they didn't pay 100% because they left early.

in the meantime, they've refreshed their santander deal. Apart from that, just take a look at the list of partners on their official website.

absolute rubbish to think they'll have a wasted year. apart from that, this has been discussed dozens of times through dozens of topics.

Mclaren is healthy as can be, won't miss out on anything, and their only concern for 2015 will be if the car itself is a better product than last year's doghouse, which isn't really hard to be honest. They'll have the benefit of a strong reliable and competetive merc engine, and benefit from the renault struggle. Their only concern of competition for this year will be Ferrari and Mercedes AMG. Ferrari's ace in the hold is the driver combo, i think the Ferrari engine is great, but i doubt the car will be.

The only real concern for Mclaren is their driver pairing. Button has proved his abilities and by the looks of it, this new format fits his profile. Magnussen is a gamble, even though i must say i didn't really have high hopes for him, but i'm starting to warm up to this guy. Still a risk though, but let's face it; Kovalainen was concidered a well driver but underwhelmed, and Alonso didn't fit in there. So the 'best drivers' in 1 team is no guarantee.

But the Mclaren re-organising will surely help the team because it reminds me of the format mclaren ran when they actually did home in championships. Mclaren under the helm of Whitmarsh was a pleasent breathing team - they looked like a great place to be - at the cost of actually doing what is their goal: winning championships.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Avocado
Avocado

Manoah2u wrote:100 MILLION USD.
EUR (133 million dollars). :P

iotar__

Manoah2u wrote: it's not a wasted year at all. they'll be having 100 MILLION USD each year handed out from honda certainly as of 2015,
but one might wonder whether they'll perhaps be getting some for 2014 already. VODAFONE, just to repeat for the thousand time, payed 50% of their sponsorship contract for 2014. they didn't pay 100% because they left early.
[...]
Mclaren is healthy as can be, won't miss out on anything, and their only concern for 2015 will be if the car itself is a better product than last year's doghouse, which isn't really hard to be honest. They'll have the benefit of a strong reliable and competetive merc engine, and benefit from the renault struggle. Their only concern of competition for this year will be Ferrari and Mercedes AMG. Ferrari's ace in the hold is the driver combo, i think the Ferrari engine is great, but i doubt the car will be.
Mercedes is "strong and reliable", based on one test you assessed strength and reliability? What's known is that they were in, let's say top 2/3 (3 engines) based on reliability in one, early test.

100 million is of course crazy money, whether it puts them close financially to Ferrari/RB in 2015 is debatable. They'll be probably fine not only because of that but also because of historic achievement money. The same "historic" money Red Bull gets but more literally "historic", nice bonus that saves them after bad seasons. Vodafone's contract (75 m $) ran out at the end of 2013, I haven't heard "they're paying half in 2014" story.

Also losing main aero guy to Ferrari just before the season (nevermind replacing TP) can be success only in board threads, especially when Prodromou is not working for them yet, it seems all it takes is to call it "a shake-up".

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

According to Autosport the relation that Mclaren have with the Brixworth engineers is still very close, because they have the same target, that the Mercede V6 Turbo engine will be the best engine before the homologation and freezing phase on 28 February 2014. But from then on, Mercedes will be reluctant to a close colaboration with Mclaren, because of their switch to Honda, beeing said that Mercedes took extra measures for any leaking of intelectual property to Honda. But Mclaren will receive the same hardware, the same quality of the componenents, and obviously the same engine specification as Mercedes works team and the loyal customers like Force India and Williams, Toto Wolff admiting that they will not harm Mclaren's chances this year and that Mclaren should have a strong shot at the championship. Mclaren will only be hidden the internal workings of the engine and future plans for the development of the engine for 2015, because after 28 February 2014, Mercedes can't make any changes to improve the performance of the engine, except big realiability woes (that's why Mclaren chances are not seriously harmed this year)

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112466

Avocado
Avocado

@eboullier gets to know some of #MTC's most famous residents & spots his boyhood dream machine, Senna's iconic MP4/4
8)

Pup
Pup

Congrats to McLaren on Lizzy Yarnold's skeleton gold, won on a sled designed and built by McLaren Applied Technologies...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/f ... mpics-gold

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... mpics.html

(I think the US team sleds were built by BMW - we got a silver and a bronze. The Italian team's sled was designed by some company called Ferrari. They did not win any medals. :wink: )

Question of course is whether Ron will let her keep the medal. :wink:

Kiril Varbanov

Akebono increases technical integration with McLaren Mercedes - http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partner ... -mercedes/

Avocado
Avocado

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mikeerfol

Back in 1991 they used N/A engines, not turbo ones #-o

Avocado
Avocado

Exclusive Q&A: Eric Boullier on his new role at McLaren and 2014 objectives

RB: The role is Race Director - is that a Team Principal role?
EB: "Yes, it is definitely a Team Principal role on track and off track I have to focus more on the performance of the team."

Pup
Pup

It will take some recalibrating of my ears to get used to a French accent as the voice of McLaren.

Avocado
Avocado

But where is Martin? :? He wasn't mentioned anywhere, he just disappeared.

Pup
Pup

He is believed to be in exile on Île de Ré.