Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Henri
Henri

Re: Mercedes W13

Brilliant explanation by b-sport

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Very cool footage of Hamilton driving the W13, some onboard footage, as well as a few on track:

e30ernest
e30ernest

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 07:17
Very cool footage of Hamilton driving the W13, some onboard footage, as well as a few on track:

Nice! At around 1:55-1:58 in you can see how massive that exposed floor area is. Also the front suspension arms at least look more horizontal than before? Is it due to the bigger wheels?

wowgr8
wowgr8

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 02:46
west52keep64 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:42
Incredibly tight packaging
I wouldn't go that far, the Mercedes' famously large plenum is not even sticking out unlike on the McLaren. I think it's more of a mild packaging like say the 2019 Force India.
The plenum isn't visible because they've moved a bit more cooling onto the centerline (hence the nonexistent sidepods). And that area is a bit more fat which sides the plenum bump

e30ernest
e30ernest

Those front upper wishbones look absolutely fat. They are probably maximizing the amount of fairing they can use there. From the T-cam view, the upper wishbones almost look like a 2-pc wing.

AeroDynamic

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 07:17

Wow great footage! Must have friends in Mercedes :mrgreen: thanks for sharing.

Here's George Russell 8) (in 1080p glory!) great footages of W13 onboard and on track.

Russell (Onboard and on track footage begins 1:12)

Hamilton (1080 HD)

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 19 Feb 2022, 10:39, edited 3 times in total.

JordanMugen

Blackout wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 07:04
JordanMugen wrote:
e30ernest wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:37
The mirror has a nice vane running behind it over the sidepod.
Yes, that is a nice feature. I guess that's some kind of loophole in the wording.
That's a trend since 2019.
I mean these:

That's new AFAIK. Not sure how that gets around the minimum radius rule, other than Mercedes arguing that is part of the mirror mount, as there is a tiny section of the structure which is actually attached to the mirror. The FIA must be happy with that as all teams were apparently in discussion with the FIA during development of these cars regarding loopholes and grey areas.

I guess you suppose this is the same thing Blackout? The difference this time, I guess, is that Mercedes haven't even tried to make it look like its primary purpose is for mounting the mirror, and this time strakes and vanes are specifically banned in this area -- there isn't the free box with no minimum radius rule for the bargeboards anymore.

e30ernest
e30ernest

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 09:49
Blackout wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Yes, that is a nice feature. I guess that's some kind of loophole in the wording.
I mean these:
https://i.imgur.com/fOzZqjV.png

That's new AFAIK. Not sure how that gets around the minimum radius rule, other than Mercedes arguing that is part of the mirror mount, as there is a tiny section of the structure which is actually attached to the mirror. The FIA must be happy with that as all teams were apparently in discussion with the FIA during development of these cars regarding loopholes and grey areas.

I guess you suppose this is the same thing Blackout? The difference this time, I guess, is that Mercedes haven't even tried to make it look like its primary purpose is for mounting the mirror, and this time strakes and vanes are specifically banned by the regulations apart from where specifically prescribed -- there isn't the free box with no minimum radius rule for the bargeboards anymore.
https://i.imgur.com/gflVB9k.png
Yeah I was referring to that too. I do think Mercedes is claiming it is part of the mirror support.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

How long before Red Bull protest those mirror strakes? :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

JordanMugen wrote:
Blackout wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

I mean these:

I guess you suppose this is the same thing Blackout? The difference this time, I guess, is that Mercedes haven't even tried to make it look like its primary purpose is for mounting the mirror, and this time strakes and vanes are specifically banned in this area -- there isn't the free box with no minimum radius rule for the bargeboards anymore.
As this is a technical forum, please quote the rules for more clarity, thanks👍

ajprice
ajprice

The B Sport video explains the mirror support strakes, looks like they're legal there.

FWandE
FWandE

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 10:28
How long before Red Bull protest those mirror strakes? :lol:
I wonder whether those strakes are considered to be part of the sidepod bodywork and not an added aero element.

I just watched the B sport video, not surprisingly an expert gives a much better and correct explanation :shock:

siskue2005

ajprice wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:04
The B Sport video explains the mirror support strakes, looks like they're legal there.
Yes, it looks like the mirror support and wavy floor is within rules and easy to copy according to ex F1 aerodynamics

djones
djones

I must say, fair play to Mercedes for releasing all of this footage. Especially when you have the likes of Redbull not even showing the proper car at an alleged launch event.

Stu

e30ernest wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 09:55
JordanMugen wrote:
Blackout wrote:

I mean these:

I guess you suppose this is the same thing Blackout? The difference this time, I guess, is that Mercedes haven't even tried to make it look like its primary purpose is for mounting the mirror, and this time strakes and vanes are specifically banned by the regulations apart from where specifically prescribed -- there isn't the free box with no minimum radius rule for the bargeboards anymore.
Yeah I was referring to that too. I do think Mercedes is claiming it is part of the mirror support.
That’s a real stretch!! There is around 99% of it that does nothing for the mirror 😂
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.