[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Koldskaal

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

My car for race 2:
Minor changes all over the car. Should be a good step forward. I hope this will be enough to get back on the podium.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

Ft5fTL

Round 2 entry:

I had to trim the 3rd element of the front wing for balance reasons and cooling seems somewhat problematic but we'll see how this one performs. No where near of the top runners but should be around -3cl/cd.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

variante

Variante car finally sent, using the 48h delay option. Does it mean that G-Raph's 1st place is in danger? Probably not.
The renders will come, but don't expect major visual changes, as development mostly concerned airfoils and diffuser.

Nice developments from the other teams.
A pity that beschadigunc has to go already, now that he was getting the hang of it. See you soon.

Zynerji wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 20:06
Have you thought of contacting SolidWorks for some free 1yr accounts to their personal license? The credibility of this site and the year-over-year growth of this competition might just get some corporate sponsorship. A simple logo on all published renders would be a small price to pay. That then opens the door to a CFD server and tyre supplier sponsorship, etc, especially if the social media promotion of this series was on point.

This could then lead to using these models for sponsored online sim racing. Like a model pack for rfactor (haven't looked into anything recently). I think you guys have a hit! And I look forward to watching it continue to evolve.
Yeah, i think a lot could be done with this challenge. But i think everybody is treating it as a simple source of fun and expertise.
So, (lack of) commitment is the main obstacle for that.

G-raph

Good luck for Race 02 everyone!

As the changes to my car are small, here is an animated GIF to show the differences :

https://gifyu.com/image/SWI4W

- Smaller cooling outlet, as I had too much cooling in Race 01. This gave me rear downforce.
- Less aggressive Rear Wing tip, improving overall car efficiency, which should be better for Silverstone.
- Legalised Floor winglet, similar performance to race 01 but not as good as a development step I had done in-between the 2 races.
- Less aggressive plan-view Coke line, as there was a nasty flow separation in the official CFD simulation. As I don't have that problem in my Fast settings sims, I don't know if the issue will actually be fixed. And if it is, performance might be worse than with the flow separation! So we'll see what happens.
- Bodywork tweaks to suit the new Halo and Gearbox. As mentioned before, these are quite transparent performance-wise, but still took some time to redesign.

variante

Hey LVDH, how is it going?
Car geometry images? Scrutineering results?

LVDH

variante wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 11:23
Yeah, i think a lot could be done with this challenge. But i think everybody is treating it as a simple source of fun and expertise.
So, (lack of) commitment is the main obstacle for that.
I understand that we all love this championship and want it to be something big, as it should be in our minds.
But the reality is that we and especially I spend a lot of time for this.
The question is how can I justify it? Because it will one day make a lot of money because RB will be part of it?
While this is possible, it is extremely unlikely.
Most likely, this will always be a small niche championship hidden somewhere in the internet.
So, I can only spend hobby time with this. And trust me, I put much more than just hobby time into it.

The good thing is, we have some new cards in the game, that might help to boost the visibility of our championship.
The new rendered images should draw more eyes to use and hopefully find the imagination of some sponsors.

What Matteo did with LinkedIn is even better. It seems to attract a new audience towards us, which is great.
And the best use of that, is actually for you guys. If you like and comment our posts, you boost our own visibility which should help boost your career as engineers.

Still, realistically we should love our championship and will have to wait how it organically grows.

variante wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 23:28
Hey LVDH, how is it going?
Car geometry images? Scrutineering results?
On my side the race is almost done!
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc- ... tone-2023/
Scrutineering results should follow shortly.

The final results and video will only start getting produced on Sunday.

LVDH

So,
I have finished scrutineering. Apart from one example, all cars look very good.
  • BusorRacing has too much nose in the high_res folder
  • KLCRacing has a bunch of minor violations on rule 9.1
  • Panthera has the same issue with the strange bulge on the top surface of the nose
These teams all receive a warning.

Now, there is one car that is a different story. Suzuki Racing Team has so many violations that it is simply disqualified.
Now, you guys can help. It is a new team and seems to be a high school student. So if he asks for help, please let us guide him into building a decent car. There are issues as the way too small heat exchangers and pretty poor wing profile designs. Also, I think we should not go too crazy, as there is a chance this was just a joke. Why do I say that? Well, a heat exchanger is just a box with one side length of 60mm. It should be possible to design that. And if not, maybe a car is too much for this person...

variante

Thanks Andre / LVDH.

One interesting trend i'm noticing is that 3 out the 5 top teams are using convex diffusers.
A similar dichotomy exists in F1 too, with teams like Ferrari going for convex and team like RedBull going for concave.

LVDH wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 18:30
And trust me, I put much more than just hobby time into it.
No doubt about it, but so far (after years and years) we've missed on basic things to promote this challenge. The first social media page has been launched only a couple of months ago. No article about MVRC has ever been made for the F1-Technical home page. The website has often been forgotten. No big company has been contacted for sponsorships (AFAIK). And so on.
Which is fine! ...but let's not expect miracles without praying.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 21:57
Thanks Andre / LVDH.

One interesting trend i'm noticing is that 3 out the 5 top teams are using convex diffusers.
A similar dichotomy exists in F1 too, with teams like Ferrari going for convex and team like RedBull going for concave.

LVDH wrote:
And trust me, I put much more than just hobby time into it.
No doubt about it, but so far (after years and years) we've missed on basic things to promote this challenge. The first social media page has been launched only a couple of months ago. No article about MVRC has ever been made for the F1-Technical home page. The website has often been forgotten. No big company has been contacted for sponsorships (AFAIK). And so on.
Which is fine! ...but let's not expect miracles without praying.
I have been involved in a project similar to MVRC (not completely abandoned yet) and I can confirm that the effort to put everything toghether is enormous: a kind of second job that claims to become the first job (but without producing earnings).

I think that if we want to improve and grow and become more professional (including website, I agree) we should aim to a shared management, with the top teams more involved (the good job Max and Koldskaal are doing about rules and post processing is a step in the right direction). Naturally the "core" of the challenge would still be MFlow and André's technical direction.

I think there could be way a way to reduce the pre processing and computing effort, considering more precise rules about stl export and allowing (with random check) self certification for the simulations.

My experiment on LinkedIn is promising. The target is to invent a "story" about teams and devolpement but is not not that easy considering that we are dealing with cold numbers and people who are nearly unknown, expcept for 4 o 5 of us. The animation done with AssettoCorsa is cool: in my opinion in the future we should try to complete the job with a kind of AI driving the cars (AC and especially Torcs allow this).

CAEdevice

Is there anyone among us that would consider interesting to get in touch with recruiters in the automotive (not necessarily motorsport) field? It might happen to have such requests from the LinkedIn page.

G-raph

LVDH wrote:
On my side the race is almost done!
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc- ... tone-2023/.
That's a nice bunch of ugly airbox sails! :mrgreen: (although Variante's version looks very nice)

I'm glad I've inspired you all, as I also spotted a green beamwing and a white front tyre deflector, but I'm surprised no one went for the slotted floor edge after all that controversy (PurePower's one is a different thing but looks tidy).

Thank you for the renders as usual. One small criticism if I may... the black parts are too black. The settings you had for race 01 worked better I think.

G-raph

Busor wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:36
Hi all,

about 3 weeks ago I discovered this challenge and just submitted my first model. For now I'm hoping I have submitted all mandatory parts and that I'm not disqualified right away.. let's hope for the best :lol:. Obviously my time was limited, so I tried to have a simple but clean starting point.
Looking forward to racing with you.

Cheers,
Busor
Welcome to the challenge! It's nice to see some new entries. Your car looks very tidy, which is quite impressive if you have only spent 3 weeks on it. Hope it goes well.

CAEdevice

Busor wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:36
Hi all,

about 3 weeks ago I discovered this challenge and just submitted my first model. For now I'm hoping I have submitted all mandatory parts and that I'm not disqualified right away.. let's hope for the best :lol:. Obviously my time was limited, so I tried to have a simple but clean starting point.
Looking forward to racing with you.

Cheers,
Busor
Welcome! Sorry I missed your post.

Your car, considering that it has been developed in three weeks looks interesting, a good base.

If you like, please take a look to our LinkedIn page:

https://www.linkedin.com/company/mantium-challenge/

variante

G-raph wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 21:56
That's a nice bunch of ugly airbox sails! :mrgreen: (although Variante's version looks very nice)

I'm glad I've inspired you all, as I also spotted a green beamwing and a white front tyre deflector, but I'm surprised no one went for the slotted floor edge after all that controversy (PurePower's one is a different thing but looks tidy).
I tested the airbox wing before the 1st race, with unsatisfying results, but your car taught me that i simply needed a BIGGER one.
But also, my car's updates unfortunately bring my CoP forward, and the official sims seem to do the same. So i needed to compensate.

G-raph wrote:
Thank you for the renders as usual. One small criticism if I may... the black parts are too black. The settings you had for race 01 worked better I think.
I agree. More opacity is better.

LVDH

G-raph wrote:
Yes, there are many details, I am not happy about. I tried fixing a few for this race. For example I tilted the main light, so the shadows would not go straight down. But, as you can see, they still do...
Also, I created decals with your car numbers. Esp. Koldskall should have a big fat 1 on his car. But as you can see, there are no numbers...

I am happy to get a list of things you would improve. I will address as many of them as I can with my current skill set.
Also, if somebody has better Blender skills than I do, please get in touch.