2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Venturiation
Venturiation

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Cs98 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 14:44
mzivtins wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 14:39
No I don't, but we made the joke over on discord that people would be all over it like a tramp on chips.

Trouble with a lot of f1 journalism is that it's a lot of people shouting loud all the time with tiny bits of information. It's just funny to see

I don't have a source, family and friends work at RBR, some for a decade
Kind of contradictory :lol: I demand you reveal what you know!
Why did he delete his post

Cs98
Cs98

Venturiation wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 14:46
Cs98 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 14:44
mzivtins wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 14:39
No I don't, but we made the joke over on discord that people would be all over it like a tramp on chips.

Trouble with a lot of f1 journalism is that it's a lot of people shouting loud all the time with tiny bits of information. It's just funny to see

I don't have a source, family and friends work at RBR, some for a decade
Kind of contradictory :lol: I demand you reveal what you know!
Why did he delete his post
I just moved it from the Merc thread because it's all about RB.

f1isgood
f1isgood

Many seem to be overlooking the fact that Red Bull have a stable mechanical platform and aero map that they are building on top of, regardless of whatever they do. I believe they will probably have a vertical inlet and people will conflate that with zeropods even if they have their downwashing sidepod with the biggest undercut across the field.

I also think that they are moving to a different direction of development because McLaren have essentially the same fundamentals as RB and it is probably not the best to be fighting the exact same development race as opposed to fighting a development race that is a bit divergent so that gains on the leader don't directly translate to gains for the follower.

In the worst case, they will revert back to RB19 or an RB19-20 hybrid simply because RB19 might be, in its own right able to win multiple races in 2024.

vorticism

Yes, well, reportedly RB was imploding, reportedly Newey was bound for Maranello, reportedly Horner wasn't to attend the launch of RB20, <>. It follows that RB20 reportedly will have Mercedes sidepods from two seasons ago. If this r word has any magic to it, it's to signal what won't happen.
𓄀

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

“Obviously we want to continue to close the gap. I think last year we finished as the second or third fastest team depending on the circuit. But Red Bull certainly doesn’t seem to have developed the car to the level it could reach last year. So it could be a nasty surprise for all of us!”
https://ruiksport.com/mclaren-feels-the ... -surprise/

chrisc90

Got to look at the fact they cannot go back to the underbite with this design (if its what we are actually going to get) given they will have had to move the SIP structure upwards to allow for the overbite.
Whether they can use last years chassis if things dont work out, im sure they could - given they only introduced the lightweight chassis last season.

I dont think we will have a zero-pod like Mercedes where cooling and everything back over was shrink wrapped. (Does RB/ATauri use the RBR cooling solutions?). What I do think we will see is an aggressive sidepod design, quite possibly with a bigger undercut. However I do love Vortisicms drawings of using 2 chassis side intakes for the engine. That would be really cool idea

KimiRai
KimiRai

vorticism wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 15:36
Yes, well, reportedly RB was imploding, reportedly Newey was bound for Maranello, reportedly Horner wasn't to attend the launch of RB20, <> . It follows that RB20 reportedly will have Mercedes sidepods from two seasons ago. If this r word has any magic to it, it's to signal what won't happen.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

f1jcw
f1jcw

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 17:03
Got to look at the fact they cannot go back to the underbite with this design (if its what we are actually going to get) given they will have had to move the SIP structure upwards to allow for the overbite.
Whether they can use last years chassis if things dont work out, im sure they could - given they only introduced the lightweight chassis last season.

I dont think we will have a zero-pod like Mercedes where cooling and everything back over was shrink wrapped. (Does RB/ATauri use the RBR cooling solutions?). What I do think we will see is an aggressive sidepod design, quite possibly with a bigger undercut. However I do love Vortisicms drawings of using 2 chassis side intakes for the engine. That would be really cool idea
I don’t think it’ll be Mercs zeropod as that had too many limitations to achieve it.

If they revert to last years chassis as you say would it need to be recrash tested or does the certificate last for multi seasons

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Red Bull RB20

I think the transformation here is too extreme. There is no indication that Rb would abandon an undercut philosophy (which is what Merc did previously, and what the transformation in this video clip also shows).

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 23:20
I think the transformation here is too extreme. There is no indication that Rb would abandon an undercut philosophy (which is what Merc did previously, and what the transformation in this video clip also shows).
Extreme is one thing, but without sidepods you gonna have so much drag and slow in corners. Without sidepods you can't control the airflow around the floor edges and the rear of the car. They dominance immediately would be over.

chrisc90

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 00:22
AR3-GP wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 23:20
Extreme is one thing, but without sidepods you gonna have so much drag and slow in corners. Without sidepods you can't control the airflow around the floor edges and the rear of the car. They dominance immediately would be over.

Red Bull and their team are far too wise to be throwing away such ‘dominance’ without knowing the full ins and outs out doing so.

They have just built one of the most dominant cars in F1 history. One could argue that it’s a mammoth task to beat it, But you don’t simply throw away a championship winning design unless you know for fact your new choices Are equal to or better than what you have currently.

Yes others might have took a step forwards, but even then, it brings a ‘level playing field’ of you don’t have faith in a ‘better’ design.

Could RB have run the RB19 in 2024 and still of been competitive? Absolutely. Would it have won as many races as it did previously? Probably not. Especially if others caught up.

Would RB be brave enough to rock up without side pods? It would be a spectacle if they did - but I cannot see it. If there wasn’t a budget cap, then possibly…. But you have to wonder how many hours upon hours of CFD and development time/budget that would take up in this era of rules.

dialtone
dialtone

f1jcw wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 17:08
chrisc90 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 17:03

I don’t think it’ll be Mercs zeropod as that had too many limitations to achieve it.

If they revert to last years chassis as you say would it need to be recrash tested or does the certificate last for multi seasons
I don't think It's possible to revert to last year's chassis because they changed the disposition of the front suspension which attaches to the chassis, so they would need to revert to the older suspension as well, at least in front.

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 09:34
f1316 wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 00:41
Now, of course, the devil is in the details and perhaps they are going for small sidepods but with a different concept entirely, but I’m personally going to remain cautious before proclaiming this another Newey master stroke. I think it’s quite possible this could turn out to be a blunder. Let’s see.
I'm 99% sure it won't have anything to do with W13 zeropods, it will be just a smaller thing than it is right now. It may be close in size to W14B sidepods and that's about it. They are already committed to the same flow conditioning on the top of the floor as the last 2 years and it's completely non-compatible with W13 zeropods.
Entirely defer to your superior knowledge. From my far less expert vantage point, the “shoulders” don’t seem like a very elegant or efficient solution and while I know this is a simplistic read, it has previously appeared that not using your sidepods to do some heavy lifting (ie moving the air) has been folly.

Of course, it would be foolish to bet against a “if anyone can do it, Newey can” mindset, but I equally think all the articles about this car already being “scary” or “frightening” are, at best, clickbait (and most likely a betrayal of a lack of analytical thinking). Equally, as a Ferrari fan - and moreover an F1 fan who at least wants to see some kind of competition - I may be clutching at straws but I want it noted for the record that if RB have a difficult test, it’s not entirely unpredicted :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RB said the Mclaren will surpass the RB19 more or less so there’s no going back.

If the suspension is a problem, then they’ll benefit from going back I suppose…