2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wh00sher
wh00sher

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

From the on boards yesterday the front tyre brows on the Red Bull seem to flex and lift away from the tyre at high speed, it seemed like more than others.

Is this by design? If so, how is it allowed to flex, aren't these things supposed to be static (within the limits of the construction obviously)?

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 04:32
In my estimation, the remaining 3 circuits should be very favorable to RB. Mexico features 3 DRS zones. Brazil features 2 DRS zones. AD features 2 DRS zones. As you recall, the slow corners in S1 of AD were removed. RB are really able to stretch their legs on the straights.
RB don't need DRS zones to excel. Quite contrary. They are so aerodynamically efficient that they can mostly use and recover their advantage during the races, which is mostly run without DRS by nature.
Other teams, like Ferrari, with dirtier DF, gain most with open DRS, which is one of the reasons they are much closer to RB in qualifications than in the race.

Sieper

wh00sher wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 08:49
From the on boards yesterday the front tyre brows on the Red Bull seem to flex and lift away from the tyre at high speed, it seemed like more than others.

Is this by design? If so, how is it allowed to flex, aren't these things supposed to be static (within the limits of the construction obviously)?
Something went wrong, they shouldn’t flex. I think they are built too lightly (in their quests for shaving off weight).

chrisc90

They a stock part though? I wonder if there’s a sole supplier across all teams like the wheel covers

mendis
mendis

chrisc90 wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 10:24
They a stock part though? I wonder if there’s a sole supplier across all teams like the wheel covers
They are indeed. Zack should write a letter to the supplier asking why such disparity and how his team can get one to flex.

Wouter

Before the race there was a tribute to the owner of RBR and SAT Mr. Mateschitz, who died saturday after a long illness.

Max had a great start and was in front, but then there was a pitstop ........

He lost several positions and Hamilton was in the lead. but then ....

Image...Image

When they played the Austrian national anthem it became very emotional.

This WDC and WCC 2022 is for you Dietrich Mateschitz. Thank you for everything. May you Rest In Peace.

Last edited by Wouter on 24 Oct 2022, 15:17, edited 2 times in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

chrisc90 wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 10:24
Oof, that is bad, wasn’t aware. Needs to be looked in to by the supplier then.

organic

A great photo, with no caption required

Big Tea

organic wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 12:48
A great photo, with no caption required

https://i.imgur.com/thlucei.png
Good Girl (pat pat)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dxpetrov wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 09:19
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 04:32
In my estimation, the remaining 3 circuits should be very favorable to RB. Mexico features 3 DRS zones. Brazil features 2 DRS zones. AD features 2 DRS zones. As you recall, the slow corners in S1 of AD were removed. RB are really able to stretch their legs on the straights.
RB don't need DRS zones to excel. Quite contrary. They are so aerodynamically efficient that they can mostly use and recover their advantage during the races, which is mostly run without DRS by nature.
Other teams, like Ferrari, with dirtier DF, gain most with open DRS, which is one of the reasons they are much closer to RB in qualifications than in the race.
Sorry for the confusion. The RB is quick with or without DRS. I understand that. I just meant that DRS just means that track position is no obstacle for them.

In hindsight, Bahrain was quite telling.
A lion must kill its prey.

Wazari

Mr. Dietrich Mateschitz may you rest in peace. So glad I've had the pleasure of meeting you. A kind soul.

Congratulations to RBR for the WCC. I am pleased and happy. Nice to see everyone's hard work being recognized.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

hollus

wh00sher wrote:

Wasn’t it only Max’s left? It appear damaged. If it was all of them, please report back, I’d love to have a good look at it.
Rivals, not enemies.

Alexf1
Alexf1

wh00sher wrote:

So should the front wing flaps, otherwise they're moving aero which is not allowed. But they're far from static as speed increases. Especially on the Merc..

Sieper

hollus wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 07:14
wh00sher wrote:

Wasn’t it only Max’s left? It appear damaged. If it was all of them, please report back, I’d love to have a good look at it.
I’ve only watched the live feed but to me it clearly was damaged. Left hand side indeed.

Parts flapping in the wind can imho never be a benefit that you would try to engineer. In cycling if you prevent that at all costs. And we go like 40kmh while drag is exponential with increased speed.

organic

hollus wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 07:14
wh00sher wrote:

It was only 1 side, the left. Looked like it broke at the attachment point so it was flexing like crazy away from the front wheel.