2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

JPower wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 13:13
Well that sucks.
Caused by Hamilton lap one incident. A familiar pattern.

f1316
f1316

organic wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 18:52
JPower wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 18:36
Xyz22 wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 18:23

This race wasn't anything new in terms of gap to Charles. Probably a bit inflated by the new ERS system, which is 2 kg lighter. Carlos has always been struggling in race trim in 2022. I personally don't know why as last year, outside some outliers, he was competitive... This has happened in every single race this year. The issue is that the car is slower now, which makes things even worse. Also the team put him under pressure with a clown like pit stop that --- his race completely.

My idea is that the Team, after the changes introduced due to the TD 039, has absolutely no clue how to setup the car.
I think his pace was fine from Canada to France. He looked legitimately fast in the latter. Since wheels down at Hungary his pace on mediums in particular hasn’t been there. Don’t know why its that tire in particular.
Could be the France update isn't working as expected?
This is more where my head is at. It feels suspiciously like 2018 where a good car that should have dominated at certain tracks (then Singapore, now Hungary/Holland) suddenly became uncompetitive. That year they took the updates off and the car win in the USA and I wonder if in Monza we’ll see them A/B test the old spec in FP1.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

organic wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 18:00
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 17:58
Andres125sx wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 08:16
Amazing to read people stating Ferrari do favour Sainz, or he´s just bad. That after a 12.7 seconds pitstop wich sent him into a lot of slow traffic, after an unsafe release wich caused a 5s penalty, and that after Hamilton crashed into him and caused some floor damage... #-o

Do people watch the races?

What a disaster of a team, they did improve a lot with car perfomance, but strategy and pitstops wise, they´re still in the lower part of the midfield
There is no doubt Sainz was unlucky today but thats nothing new now, each race there has to be something bad with either of them.

Regarding your claim i think Leclerc side of pit ( i mean fans ) dont really hate sainz but we neither think he is at Leclerc's level.
The bad vibes he gets here and at many other fan forums is more down to constant comparison and over hyping him at every possible occasion. 1 good race from Sainz in 5 and "he is better" argument pops up.

Also to be honest on race day Sainz hasnt shown much this entire season. He may not have been shockingly bad but more like ineffective against likes of RB and Mercs. Just hanging around there in 3-4 etc waiting for something to happen ( which he is quite good at ) but not forcing anything himself.
He won silverstone, had great pace at france&canada, and would've taken points off max at austria if not for engine failure. he hasn't looked brilliant since Austria, but he's had a good season apart from the trips to gravel early on

" He won Silverstone "

see i told you so, statements like these is exactly the reason he is getting the heat if any.

Andres125sx

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 17:58

Regarding your claim i think Leclerc side of pit ( i mean fans ) dont really hate sainz but we neither think he is at Leclerc's level.
The bad vibes he gets here and at many other fan forums is more down to constant comparison and over hyping him at every possible occasion. 1 good race from Sainz in 5 and "he is better" argument pops up.
Who said "he is better"? None. But some fans feel the need to underrate Sainz at every ocasion, even if he did everything ok and it was the team who failed miserably and repeatedly.

I guess they´re afraid of him, if he scores more points than Lecrerc in the season, for second time in a row, that would be embarrasing for him/them #-o

But I´ve never read anyone saying Sainz is faster than Lecrerc. If Lecrerc fans could rely on Lecrerc, they wouldn´t need to bash Sainz constantly like we´re seeing here after Dutch GP, even when he didn´t do one single thing wrong

Andres125sx

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 18:18

" He won Silverstone "

see i told you so, statements like these is exactly the reason he is getting the heat if any.
OMG, someone said a fact??? How dare! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You´ve just illustrated what I said about Lecrerc fans who can´t rely on Lecrerc. Yes, Sainz won Silverstone. And he could have won some more race if not for Ferrari lack of reliability or strategic mistakes

What´s your problem with that? Lecrerc won more, and he is ahead in the WDC, no need to bash Sainz or feel offended when someone say he won Silverstone. What´s the problem with posting facts or saying Sainz won a race? Fair question, I can´t get it

Scorpaguy

Having been one of Bino's doubters for the past several seasons, I had begun to concede that maybe Big Red was "playing the long long game" based upon their early season performance.

Nope, Bino cannot...(insert anything you want there, including "Understand a F1 car requires 4 wheels for peak performance").

basti313
basti313

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 17:39
basti313 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 13:08
Andres125sx wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 12:54

Reading this post looks like you consider Ferrari mistakes with Lecrerc are Sainz responsibility? :wtf:
Where do you read this?
I think it is clear: If they want to fight for a WDC, then they need a Nr1 driver. Even though Ferrari would have been on the level to fight for WDC they are not in the WDC fight for two reasons: Own errors and not committing Sainz to a Nr2 role.

Of course with these many errors the Nr2 role is not relevant. But in a scenario where they do not screw themselves a Nr2 is vital. With a real roadblock Leclerc would have won Stone for example...without the tech errors and the France error they could have Lec in the fight. They did the same error in 2019.

Of course they can commit to Sainz and give him an occasional win if he is occasionally good and lucky. But is this what Ferrari needs as a team?
What Ferrari need as a team to fight for WDC is avoiding rookie mistakes like over 12 seconds pitstops because someone forgot cars use 4 tires :shock:

I could use some more examples like a reliable car, or decent strategies, but you get the idea.

Ferrari need to improve in several departments, but drivers is one of the few which is ok.

Also, it looks like you need to be reminded about a fact, that driver who you're asking to be considered #2 from the start of the season, scored more points than Lecrerc in 2021, with same car, and despite it was his very first season with the car.
Funny answer. Did you misread my post? I clearly said they must remove own errors first, which clearly implies strategy, pit stops and car failures.

By the way: They did not forget the 4th tire, it was just at the front... :mrgreen:

For the drivers:
I did not say that they needed to commit to a Nr2 from the start of the season. There was not much Sainz did wrong or would have been different with Sainz being a Nr2 in the first 6 races. But these 6 races made it clear, that Sainz is the Nr2 just because of his lack in pace. In the result they screwed their Nr.1 driver in two races...
I mean...it does not matter, they anyways will not win anything this year. But...as said if they want to win a close WDC at some point they should learn that this is not working. For me it is fine if they do not...I am neither a Leclerc nor a Ferrari fan, so I enjoy the clown show. I did not enjoy it when they did the same to Vettel in Germany...
Don`t russel the hamster!

S D

Wolff said: "The thinking was we had a medium that had five racing laps on it and the track position and we took that decision.

"I don't think on a par with the same tyre we could have overtaken the Red Bull with their straight-line speed. We saw that with Sainz at the beginning, who had less pace, we weren't able to pass him. So that was the call.

"Every single day I would rather risk everything to win rather than cementing second and third."

Results:
Max Verstappen
George Russell + 4.071
Charles Leclerc + 10.929
Lewis Hamilton + 13.016

Seems to me that Max would have won the race even with a rear gunner as Ham was 13 seconds behind. Also with the mediums, Charles was able to pass Ham for 3rd, so it seems reasonable that he would have passed George for 3rd.

So to me, best case without pitting George was Max 1st, Ham 2nd, Charles 3rd and George 4th.

However, with Max battling George and then Ham could have left them each vulnerable to Charles in which case they might have had Ham 3rd and George 4th. It is possible that pitting George saved 2nd on the podium.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 19:18
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 18:18

" He won Silverstone "

OMG, someone said a fact??? How dare! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You´ve just illustrated what I said about Lecrerc fans who can´t rely on Lecrerc. Yes, Sainz won Silverstone. And he could have won some more race if not for Ferrari lack of reliability or strategic mistakes

What´s your problem with that? Lecrerc won more, and he is ahead in the WDC, no need to bash Sainz or feel offended when someone say he won Silverstone. What´s the problem with posting facts or saying Sainz won a race? Fair question, I can´t get it
There is no race that Sainz was faster than Leclerc. Leclerc should have won Silverstone.
A lion must kill its prey.

deadhead

not a good look

JPower
JPower

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 20:24
There is no race that Sainz was faster than Leclerc. Leclerc should have won Silverstone.
But he didn't. It is what it is. What was said was not factually incorrect.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPower wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 22:11
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 20:24
But he didn't. It is what it is. What was said was not factually incorrect.
I'm not addressing the question of who won Silverstone. I'm addressing the question of who the faster driver is. Sainz winning silverstone is no indication of his pace relative to Leclerc as the OP tried to claim.

OP said:
And my response is that Sainz could not win a single race without Leclerc having trouble given the pace differences.

Before we get to talking about Ferrari pit wall, reliability, and pit stops, Sainz is not even in a position to beat Leclerc in a straight fight....let alone win races in spite of Ferrari ruining everything.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 05 Sep 2022, 22:50, edited 2 times in total.

mzso
mzso

basti313 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 13:08
Andres125sx wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 12:54
Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 09:51

Whatever the team did wrong to Sainz is nowhere near to costing Leclerc 3 victories (without taking 2 DNF from lead into account), he simply lacks the capabilities to be a #1 driver and lacks willingness to admit he would be a good #2 driver. The team should replace him before his behaviour costs them more titles.
Reading this post looks like you consider Ferrari mistakes with Lecrerc are Sainz responsibility? :wtf:
Where do you read this?
I think it is clear: If they want to fight for a WDC, then they need a Nr1 driver. Even though Ferrari would have been on the level to fight for WDC they are not in the WDC fight for two reasons: Own errors and not committing Sainz to a Nr2 role.

Of course with these many errors the Nr2 role is not relevant. But in a scenario where they do not screw themselves a Nr2 is vital. With a real roadblock Leclerc would have won Stone for example...without the tech errors and the France error they could have Lec in the fight. They did the same error in 2019.

Of course they can commit to Sainz and give him an occasional win if he is occasionally good and lucky. But is this what Ferrari needs as a team?
What they need are a decent stragy team, capable race engineers, and a reliable car, neithet of which they have. No 1/2 drivers are are not needed, especially with Leclerc out performing Sainz, all the time.

Gillian
Gillian

I don't get the Sainz bashing honestly. There are many issues with the team currently but the drivers surely aren't a priority? Leclerc is obviously faster than Sainz, pretty much every race.... But he did throw away a possible win (France) and podium (Imola).... If you're going to back one driver full on from the start, you don't want that driver to throw away points like that.

But all that is nothing compared to the boatloads of points lost by strategy errors and other failures....

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Gillian wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 22:51
I don't get the Sainz bashing honestly. There are many issues with the team currently but the drivers surely aren't a priority? Leclerc is obviously faster than Sainz, pretty much every race.... But he did throw away a possible win (France) and podium (Imola).... If you're going to back one driver full on from the start, you don't want that driver to throw away points like that.

But all that is nothing compared to the boatloads of points lost by strategy errors and other failures....
Hamilton made more mistakes than Bottas last season. Would you have argued this was a reason to support Bottas to the title instead or "Hmm...I don't know, maybe we should support Bottas instead". Imagine saying that out loud.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 05 Sep 2022, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.