2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Mostlyeels wrote:
06 May 2023, 09:10
mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 08:33
Looking good vs Alo until turn 17 where we lose a lot of time.
That's the big jump in the Delta part of the chart? What's happening?
I didn't see the lap. Could easily be a mistake on Landos part or it could be that the stiffer suspension means we can't ride kerbs or attack lower speed corners very well. I'm inclined to think the latter as it agrees with Organics idea of our setup in which the car would struggle over bumps and kerbs.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 09:11
Mostlyeels wrote:
mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 08:33
Looking good vs Alo until turn 17 where we lose a lot of time.
I didn't see the lap. Could easily be a mistake on Landos part or it could be that the stiffer suspension means we can't ride kerbs or attack lower speed corners very well. I'm inclined to think the latter as it agrees with Organics idea of our setup in which the car would struggle over bumps and kerbs.
Just watched the lap.. was just mid-corner understeer and not to do with kerb/bumps. Understeer is particularly punishing here.. as soon as you go slightly wide of the apex the surface is far lower grip than the racing line. Going to need very precise driving

mwillems

organic wrote:
06 May 2023, 09:41
mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 09:11
Mostlyeels wrote:

Just watched the lap.. was just mid-corner understeer and not to do with kerb/bumps. Understeer is particularly punishing here.. as soon as you go slightly wide of the apex the surface is far lower grip than the racing line. Going to need very precise driving
Hopefully Lando can reign that in and find some time, it's a good sign if he can.

Here is telemetry vs Perez. Looking good until "Turn" 9 (Flat out) where we start to drop time consistently through drag and through the twisty section. Again, usual caveats about FP2, the track will dial in more this afternoon and offer yet more grip and this will change the dynamics between the cars a little. Engine modes, setup changes etc

Similar story in some ways though, very good and fast out of the corners - almost all of them, so conistently good on exit - so we have good traction, but being punished at the end of the straights. Even not doing too bad in the twisty section until turns 14 and 15 where we drop back significantly. Not as dramatic time loss in turn 17 here vs Perez, but we still do lose some time before gaining it back on the exit.

High speed corners do look good, but actually our redeeming trait at this track at least appears more to be corner exit where we seem to do well even against the mightiest car on the grid. Seems to be a mix of traction out of corners but also more often than not we are able to carry a higher minimum speed through the corners, helping that corner exit.
Engine modes could be flattering our exit though.

Last week we seemed very good on corner entry, we are not doing quite as well on that this week, hopefully a few setup changes can find some improvement.

-Bandit

BMMR61

Generally McLaren have been conservative on engine modes back as far as at least 2019. Generally Lando seems to be able to pinch a couple of tenths in qualifying relative to his nearest rivals so we could hope for top six in qualifying if the team gets the balance a little pointier. All to play for.

mwillems

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ZtFF9.html

F1 data analysis shows we are 1 second off the pace in their qualifying estimates. The 7th fastest car. But at the very last sentence of the article it says sources suggest we are "much closer" and the team are learning the package, to expect us to be in the fight for Q3.

-Bandit

willmesquita

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2023, 12:09
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ZtFF9.html

F1 data analysis shows we are 1 second off the pace in their qualifying estimates. The 7th fastest car. But at the very last sentence of the article it says sources suggest we are "much closer" and the team are learning the package, to expect us to be in the fight for Q3.
I expect both cars in front of Alpines and Williams and Lando in front Stroll.

I can live with p8/p10 today.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

What happened to the car? Its slower than yesterday.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

No pace at all

McL-H
McL-H

I can’t believe what just happened. Very disappointed.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Slowest car of the field again. Nice….

Slahinki
Slahinki

Not a lot of pace, but also incredibly tight in Q1.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Something went wrong somewhere.

SilviuAgo

Don't know what they did on Friday night but was terrible result. Both out in Q1...unbelievable!! #-o
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 06 May 2023, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Outqualified an Aston...

Just really mad.

Stig14
Stig14

I think the heat and the strange track surface have mixed things up rather. Let's hope for a crazy race tomorrow for the boys to make some progress!