2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Its not complicated to think. Red Bull brought new radical sidepods, Ferrari got upgrades to the suspension and a new wing behind the engine cover. Small upgrades but in my opinion enough to give them an advantage over to our base non upgraded car.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:25
Its not complicated to think. Red Bull brought new radical sidepods, Ferrari got upgrades to the suspension and a new wing behind the engine cover. Small upgrades but in my opinion enough to give them an advantage over to our base non upgraded car.
Aston brought changes to their suspension last week too.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Apr 2024, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

dialtone
dialtone

Darth-Piekus wrote:Its not complicated to think. Red Bull brought new radical sidepods, Ferrari got upgrades to the suspension and a new wing behind the engine cover. Small upgrades but in my opinion enough to give them an advantage over to our base non upgraded car.
Ferrari brought a new rear suspension fairing with smallish change to it. The little winglet was there in australia.

They have a rumored big upgrade in wind tunnel involving sidepods and floors, but only at Imola.

Darth-Piekus

Still small upgrades or not they managed to make Red Bull be dominant today and they gave Ferrari the edge. Even if we played a better strategy our base car with 0 upgrades I repeat couldnt match them and it was to be expected. The large upgrade in Miami better be worth it

the EDGE
the EDGE

So Lando & Sky F1 agreeing Lando’s stop was way too early!

Darth-Piekus

It doesnt matter what they could have done differently. Understand that our car has 0 upgrades while Red Bull brought a small but radical sidepods upgrade and suspension while Ferrari brought a suspension and a new small wing behind the engine cover different than the Australia one. We have the same car since the start. Even 1 tenth that they got made the difference. We cant match them for now and I hope the upgrade gives them a huge amount of time like last year.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 07 Apr 2024, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ben1980
Ben1980

the EDGE wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:42
But, does anyone see it making a difference? Would he have got up and past Leclerc, unlikely. Especially if having to get through both Mercedes cars. And sainz would have been chasing him down in a quicker car on newer tyres.

Tomsky
Tomsky

the EDGE wrote:
IYou could see it even from my couch.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:45
the EDGE wrote:
But, does anyone see it making a difference? Would he have got up and past Leclerc, unlikely. Especially if having to get through both Mercedes cars. And sainz would have been chasing him down in a quicker car on newer tyres.
So he overtook Russell very quickly.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:45
the EDGE wrote:
Maybe not… but they threw away any chance of a fight, and livening-up my Sunday morning… and a chance of capitalising on a SC incident

Space-heat
Space-heat

Darth-Piekus wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:08
I suppose that is true. The team needs the first upgrade from the new tunnel now more than ever. Both RB and Ferrari got upgrades here.
Ferrari only had a small winglet on the rear suspension. Big package is Imola. Hopefully both teams can get closer to Red Bull. If RBR can be dragged into the pack, similar to Merc, AM, Mcl and Ferrari are at the moment, could make this season come alive.

_cerber1

I agree with those who believe that the second pit stop was too early. I'm sure Lando would have easily dealt with the two Mercedes and the Leclerc, the fresher tires giving more of an advantage than the race pace. 4th position was real.

BMMR61

I came away from the race in a bad mood. It seemed nothing worked for the team who looked very strong in qualifying but every step they made went from promising to, just not enough tyre life. It was alarming how quick that even the hards lost grip even though previously this compound worked for us. It's all in the dark art of the round black things that are affected by track temperature and track surface. Lando looked really very handy for 5 or so laps after his first pitstop and maybe track position was awkward and demanding on the rubber. However, I doubt we could have done a lot better. A few little slip ups by both drivers but excellent pitstops by the team. Well that was our best chance till we get some serious upgrades that work like last year.

mwillems

Looks like we were 2 seconds a lap faster than Leclerc after out first stop, but that after 7 laps that had halved to 1 second a lap at which point we were struggling to get past the much older tyres that had also been on the gravel. Given that we were unable to make any time on Leclerc in the following stint or get past leclerc on newer tyres, I'm not sure how this would have worked. I think the team were hoping for Ferrari not to follow suit because getting the undercut on leclerc was probably the best chance of getting ahead, is how it looks to me.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Apr 2024, 10:04, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

BMMR61 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:57
I came away from the race in a bad mood. It seemed nothing worked for the team who looked very strong in qualifying but every step they made went from promising to, just not enough tyre life. It was alarming how quick that even the hards lost grip even though previously this compound worked for us. It's all in the dark art of the round black things that are affected by track temperature and track surface. Lando looked really very handy for 5 or so laps after his first pitstop and maybe track position was awkward and demanding on the rubber. However, I doubt we could have done a lot better. A few little slip ups by both drivers but excellent pitstops by the team. Well that was our best chance till we get some serious upgrades that work like last year.
Yes! The main problem is that our top speed is weak. It causes limitations in our strategy. Just look at Piastri vs Alonso. Piastri was much faster than alonso but unable to pass him. I hope we can solve the drag problems.