2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Chuckjr wrote:
29 May 2024, 01:04
CHT wrote:
28 May 2024, 01:55
LH has always been the no. 1 poster boy in F1 even in his first season with Mclaren.

After tasted long string of unbroken successes it's natural for LH to struggle with this new reality of not having the media attentions due to lack of success on the track.

Moving to Ferrari may seems like the grass is greener on the other side but when LH get to the other side he will likely struggle in Ferrrari unless he is happy to just be Charles teammate within the team

Ferrari already have their postal boy Charles Lercler who is quick, popular, speaks fluent Italian, young and charming like a young prince without having to dress up like one.

To be hoesnt LH look pretty beaten both on and off track these days and considering how quick this new bred of esport F1 drivers are today, I think LH may not be able to regain back his confidence and dominate the sports like before. And it is not good for his legacy and mental wellbeing if he continues to be beaten by his teammate at Ferrari.
Spot on post there mate. Well said. I’m convinced his move to Ferrari will be a disaster for both. Plus the fact he just gives up when he doesn’t have a competitive car, and openly stops trying while not caring anymore renders his lack of character, sour attitude, and team disloyalty. Nothing new tho. He’s always been that way.
Well I'm not surprised at your expectations, Chuck junior. 8)

Why would Ferrari be a disaster for Lewis?

Did you see the tifosi in the home of Ferrari cheerring like crazy for the BOSS?! It was awesome! And he's not even in red overalls yet!

From the sporting side even if he gets regularly outqualified by Charles, the race i think Lewis will be stronger. I'm a Charles fan so I am torn between who should get the next championship for Ferrari. It might be better for Lewis to win it first, then retire to pass the baton on to Charles.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Chuckjr

It won’t be smooth like you are assuming as F1 is his main platform for his life motivations. I think Charles and Lewis will become like Lewis and Nico were, or Alonso in 2007. I don’t know why people think Lewis will be ok finishing second to his teammate on such a huge stage as Ferrari with all the expectations he now brings. Maybe I’m wrong but I just don’t see Lewis playing nice if they are at the sharp end. I’ve watched the guy his entire F1 career and I’ve never seen it go well when he loses to his team mate in a competitive car. It’s not just being competitive, it’s personal with Lewis. He doesn’t seem to be able to stay reasonable and level headed and at arms length when he is challenged, and Charles will bring more challenge than Lewis has faced since he left Macca, and he’s old and well past his prime. Ferrari is the biggest stage in racing and I think this will raise everything up a notch. If he’s ok just packing in a win here and there and watching his team mate beat him for championships, he’s not the Lewis I’ve watched for almost 2 decades now. That’s why I don’t think it will go well.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Luscion
Luscion

How reliable is planetf1? apparently, Jamie Chadwick said Lewis is spinning it that he didnt have the upgrade in Monaco on channel 4 during the weekend, surprising comment from her considering how much she looks up to him, she was also wrong, he didnt have the new wing.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... o-upgrades
“He’s spinning it to make it sound like he’s maybe not got the upgrades this weekend which for me, I’m not sure about because a team like Mercedes, they generally always bring upgrades to both cars.

“It’s not like they need to split it between the two cars.

“So yeah, I think he should take his hat off to George. He’s 7-1 on someone like Lewis Hamilton, which is incredible.

“And I think Lewis is probably not happy about that, to be honest. And that’s where that comment has come from.”

Jurgen von Diaz

Lewis decided he did not want the new wing. When losing to Russell, he pointed to Russell's new wing. Classic Lewis.

https://x.com/ThisIsFormu1a1/status/179 ... ONTpw&s=19

Luscion
Luscion

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 May 2024, 06:06
Lewis decided he did not want the new wing. When losing to Russell, he pointed to Russell's new wing. Classic Lewis.

Him denying the upgrade because he didnt want to damage it doesnt mean it didnt provide a benefit to Russell, which Shovlin said it did. how much of a benefit? we dont know, maybe they'll cover it in their debrief video today.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Luscion wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:19
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

Him denying the upgrade because he didnt want to damage it doesnt mean it didnt provide a benefit to Russell, which Shovlin said it did. how much of a benefit? we dont know, maybe they'll cover it in their debrief video today.
I guess the point is, Lewis' interview gave an impression that he cannot beat George because he is not getting support or equipment. That made people to use that as a line of argument. I doubt if Lewis meant it that way. That question was posted to George and he gave the above reply.

ringo

Chuckjr wrote:
29 May 2024, 01:47
It won’t be smooth like you are assuming as F1 is his main platform for his life motivations. I think Charles and Lewis will become like Lewis and Nico were, or Alonso in 2007. I don’t know why people think Lewis will be ok finishing second to his teammate on such a huge stage as Ferrari with all the expectations he now brings. Maybe I’m wrong but I just don’t see Lewis playing nice if they are at the sharp end. I’ve watched the guy his entire F1 career and I’ve never seen it go well when he loses to his team mate in a competitive car. It’s not just being competitive, it’s personal with Lewis. He doesn’t seem to be able to stay reasonable and level headed and at arms length when he is challenged, and Charles will bring more challenge than Lewis has faced since he left Macca, and he’s old and well past his prime. Ferrari is the biggest stage in racing and I think this will raise everything up a notch. If he’s ok just packing in a win here and there and watching his team mate beat him for championships, he’s not the Lewis I’ve watched for almost 2 decades now. That’s why I don’t think it will go well.

No driver that loses would feel happy about losing a year long fight at the front.

Lewis and Alonso has been the only drivers in a fair fight for the championship on the grid.

Alonso had his time. Shumacher then came the lewis fight. The fight was close. He lost to Lewis and Kimi. He then fought with vettel and webber and lewis. Vettel ran away with both championships. Alonso is a bitter competitor and does not like losing. He left Ferrari for this reason. He takes things personal. And to this day he is still smarting from 2007. Lewis is not bitter but expresses his dislike in losing a championship just as seriously as Alonso. Hamilton had Alonso, Kimi, Massa, Button, Vettel, Webber, Nico, Max, Bottas, fighting for wins or a championship over the years. Things get nasty when the competition is close.
Statistically Hamilton has been in the most fights with the same car and equal opportunity driver or some times disadvantaged and produced some of the closest battles.
There is no playing it nicely at the sharp end. It doesnt exist. He will clash Leclerc, but still bring home the constructors as he wont crash into him like a ocon or kmag. Vasseur and Elkan know exactly what kind of bombshell they created pitting these 2. Make no mistake.
Also Ferrari now have a "regenmeister" since Shumacher's last wet weather drive in red.
Blockbuster stuff.

Anyhow focusing on this year, I wonder if we will see more upgrades for Canada.
The car should be more competitive there basing things off Monaco's improvements in practice.
For Sure!!

Jurgen von Diaz

Luscion wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

Well Lewis himself "knew" that the new front wing made maybe 2 tenths.

ringo

Dunlay wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:40
Luscion wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

I guess the point is, Lewis' interview gave an impression that he cannot beat George because he is not getting support or equipment. That made people to use that as a line of argument. I doubt if Lewis meant it that way. That question was posted to George and he gave the above reply.
It can also mean.. i am now slower over a lap and i wont admit it. Could be the engineering briefings. The details of the parts or just Georfe is faster. Hamilton leaves it up to imagination.
Totto is saying indirectly that Lewis is his own enemy and savior. And just needs to do the job.
For Sure!!

Luscion
Luscion

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:44
Luscion wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

I mean he would have the data from the team to know how much of a benefit it was providing Russell vs his car with the old wing, that being said, two tenths seems like a lot for just a front wing, maybe I'm wrong

Luscion
Luscion

Dunlay wrote:
Luscion wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

I will say the interview was odd but feels to me like people also hyper focused on that one part of the interview, nothing he said before and I feel like people read into it to much (him trying to say he's being sabotaged seemed to be the consensus on Twitter). Before the race on Sunday he did admit that his race pace has been really good but not his quali and he needs to work on that so he's not putting all the blame in the upgrade
Last edited by Luscion on 29 May 2024, 08:07, edited 5 times in total.

Dunlay
Dunlay

ringo wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Luscion wrote:

It can also mean.. i am now slower over a lap and i wont admit it. Could be the engineering briefings. The details of the parts or just Georfe is faster. Hamilton leaves it up to imagination.
Totto is saying indirectly that Lewis is his own enemy and savior. And just needs to do the job.
It's always a difficult situation for the team and the driver when they are parting. Driver would doubt if he is being sabotaged because he is not continuing with them, the team obviously cannot disclose a lot of confidential information that is part of their roadmap of development, that include the components on the car, newer setup directions or optimizations. I don't think he is slower than George. His doubtful mindset and team itself obliged to withhold information might be contributing to the performance deficit. The other big factor is the motivation of his side of the garage, which might also be adding to the mix.

We would know if he has lost speed when he races at Ferrari next season with someone alongside, who is considered as the best one lap driver. If the qualifying defict is consistently big in 2025 against Charles, then you can infer George was faster than him in 2024. But then again, he would be in a new car, new environment (engineers and mechanics) and needs to learn a whole lot before getting an optimal car.

Luscion
Luscion

ringo wrote:
Anyhow focusing on this year, I wonder if we will see more upgrades for Canada.
The car should be more competitive there basing things off Monaco's improvements in practice.

Upgrades for Canada and Spain, confirmed by Shovlin. Brundle said they would be big upgrades in Canada, don't know how true that is cause from what Ted was told from Allison their big upgrade is coming at Silverstone, unless there's multiple big upgrade packages

Dunlay
Dunlay

Luscion wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:54
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
Luscion wrote:
I mean he would have the data from the team to know how much of a benefit it was providing Russell vs his car with the old wing, that being said, two tenths seems like a lot for just a front wing, maybe I'm wrong
Anytime when the worth of an upgrade is spelt out, no team qualifies it as to which circuit they tested on their simulator to say it's 2 tenth. That same upgrade might way in performance on various different types of circuits with different combinations. I doubt if there are any teams that measure their upgrade performance on a track like Monaco. Could be more like Catalunya (with chicane) or may be Bahrain. Circuits that have a combination of slow, medium and fast corners. So in essence, the impact of that wing could be less than 2 tenths on Monaco. We really don't know.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Dunlay wrote:
29 May 2024, 08:09
Luscion wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:54
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

Anytime when the worth of an upgrade is spelt out, no team qualifies it as to which circuit they tested on their simulator to say it's 2 tenth. That same upgrade might way in performance on various different types of circuits with different combinations. I doubt if there are any teams that measure their upgrade performance on a track like Monaco. Could be more like Catalunya (with chicane) or may be Bahrain. Circuits that have a combination of slow, medium and fast corners. So in essence, the impact of that wing could be less than 2 tenths on Monaco. We really don't know.
Front wing is the most crucial part of the car, it controls air flow under the car, over the car, helps cools brakes, quite a few things. 0.2 wouldnt be far off, on more sensitive tracks, the performance gain could be higher than 0.2