McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vantage87
vantage87

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A closer look at the McLaren-Honda MP4-31

full technical analysis:
http://en.f1i.com/magazine/43018-a-clos ... p4-31.html

ringo

bonjon1979 wrote:
ringo wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
Hmm. We're not too far away from being halfway through testing. I'm not seeing anything from the Mclaren to suggest that it's anything but a bottom half of the field car. They might sort the engine out and get more power come australia. They might have a good chassis but challenging for podiums? Not on what we've seen. Now we've had the first engine blow out too. This all feels very familiar. For sure, they've managed more laps this year but I don't have confidence in them at all.
:lol:
But i wouldn't pressure them too much. The first thing Ron said was that they will get points initially. Which means appearing in Q3. I think this car can make an appearance in Q3 a few times. So lets start from there then see if they can steal a podium in a high attrition race.
I'm not sure why you find that funny. I see nothing from the 31 to suggest it is ahead of

Merc
Ferrari
Williams
Red bull
Toro rosso
Force India

That puts it in the bottom half.

What we have is people from within Honda and Mclaren saying that it's not fast enough and not reliable enough.
I agree with you, that's why i'm laughing. It's better than sulking. I feel it for the Honda fans who must endure one year of teeth gnashing.
For Sure!!

McG

ringo wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
ringo wrote:
:lol:
But i wouldn't pressure them too much. The first thing Ron said was that they will get points initially. Which means appearing in Q3. I think this car can make an appearance in Q3 a few times. So lets start from there then see if they can steal a podium in a high attrition race.
I'm not sure why you find that funny. I see nothing from the 31 to suggest it is ahead of

Merc
Ferrari
Williams
Red bull
Toro rosso
Force India

That puts it in the bottom half.

What we have is people from within Honda and Mclaren saying that it's not fast enough and not reliable enough.
I agree with you, that's why i'm laughing. It's better than sulking. I feel it for the Honda fans who must endure one year of teeth gnashing.

I don't think they have pushed yet. In fact they said so themselves.

Why are people writing them off after 3 days of testing?
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Xero

McG wrote: I don't think they have pushed yet. In fact they said so themselves.

Why are people writing them off after 3 days of testing?
Exactly. McLaren have been throwing more parts at the car compared to other teams, it's clear they have been focusing on chassis and aero assessment, while not pushing their luck with the engine. An engine change would wreck their testing schedule, not worth risking it until the end of the week. I think tomorrow afternoon, for the last couple of hours at least, Alonso will be allowed the push the car/engine as hard as he likes.

Gustavo Santos
Gustavo Santos

I totally agree with you both. McLaren is doing what they didn't do last year.. First a stable base to work on without losing time changing engines, then performance. I believe they are on the right track, but one shouldn't expect a huge improvement for now. But this is only the 3rd day of testing.. Still a lot more hours on track to run and in Melbourne we will see if they are really improving.

In my opinion after what we've seen in this first days, there are improvements in reliability and I the chassis department. Testing is very misleading if we look only to the time sheets...

ollandos
ollandos

my understand its...honda have all ready the PU...turbo compressor -mguk-h ...but they dont finish the air intake system and managment.....that mean very high fuel consumption with very low performance...at the moment try checks on reliability..and ers system .....and any other areas of this car (aero-suspencion-brakes-transmission......the air intake and managment of air defore the meet with fuel on cylinder its very critical for power gains....and with all other problematic parts of engine..honda its out of time to be ready 100% to the max. level ....

at the end i like this car and i believe mclaren can win this year with this car.....the calendar is very cleverly with 7 races on june and july.....

frosty125
frosty125

Louvers on those radiators?

Also wondering if the configuration is the same.

DiogoBrand

Does somebody know what are those little flaps at the bottom part of the S-duct outlet? They always looked like they were there because the duct wasn't in their plans at first, but now with a new car they're still there.
Edit: Here are the flaps I was referring to:

trinidefender
trinidefender

DiogoBrand wrote:Does somebody know what are those little flaps at the bottom part of the S-duct outlet? They always looked like they were there because the duct wasn't in their plans at first, but now with a new car they're still there.
Edit: Here are the flaps I was referring to:
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y48 ... 5duint.png
I had always thought that they were replaceable. Therefore if McLaren wants to draw more airflow through the S duct it will place slightly larger flaps. I.e. To fine tune the mass of airflow going through the S duct.

I cannot confirm this theory obviously so don't hold me to it however until now I have not thought of or heard a better reason. Anybody else have any ideas?

Lucky
Lucky

Lucky
Lucky

ImageImage

DiogoBrand

There's so much talk about rake that they've actually fixed one to the car now.

Sorry for the bad joke.

mclaren111

Why the wire from exhaust ??

iichel
iichel

DRS actuator?

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

mclaren111 wrote:Why the wire from exhaust ??

http://i2.wp.com/www.grandprix247.com/w ... .jpg?w=750

Probably a sensor to measure exaust plume.