2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 04:30
RB will lose far too much time in race trim without DRS with such a wing. I suspect that they will arrive at a similar conclusion to monza.

Alternatively they anticipate a massive tire temp struggle and have no choice.
AMR like RB have gone for their Baku-spec despite running a trimmed DRS flap at Monza and they are another team who don't have a dedicated Monza spec rear-wing. Also those running the Monza rear-wings have gurneys (apart from Merc) so I'm thinking that it's slightly higher DF than a pure Monza RW. Like Baku it could be one where you either go high or low to prioritise the twistier S2 and tyre temp or to optimize for purely the straight

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it's tyre window related.. it'll be key after all

Sofa King
Sofa King

This is Las Vegas, not Minneapolis. They don’t have any deicing
Otromundo wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 02:26
Well, as Isola says, it is an unprecedented situation. It doesn't sound bad at all.

Although I think they should be more generous with the tires. Those who give the show are going to have a lot of work and very little time.

I guess in the USA they have enough technology to prevent asphalt from being an ice skating rink. Let us pray that this is the case.

No accidents, clean starts and/or exits. No safety cars. And number 31 should drink a liter of lime blossom tea before starting each session. I'm sorry to say this but too many times he's a rolling danger. I hope almost all of us agree.

organic

Sofa King wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 05:18
This is Las Vegas, not Minneapolis. They don’t have any deicing
Otromundo wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 02:26
Well, as Isola says, it is an unprecedented situation. It doesn't sound bad at all.

Although I think they should be more generous with the tires. Those who give the show are going to have a lot of work and very little time.

I guess in the USA they have enough technology to prevent asphalt from being an ice skating rink. Let us pray that this is the case.

No accidents, clean starts and/or exits. No safety cars. And number 31 should drink a liter of lime blossom tea before starting each session. I'm sorry to say this but too many times he's a rolling danger. I hope almost all of us agree.
They're probably referring to surface treatments eg hydroscarification of the asphalt

organic

Wouter

It's Vegas, baby! We're kicking off the 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix weekend
with a star-studded Opening Ceremony from the Las Vegas Strip!

https://www-formule1-nl.translate.goog/ ... r_pto=wapp
Max Verstappen's show can be stolen: 'Let's see how long fans like this'

The spectacle on the eve of what will be the greatest F1 show on earth ever does not bother him. “I think they can skip it. We stand there like a bunch of clowns.” Emotions? No. He skips a party later in the evening. “No interest whatsoever,” he clarifies. The show is not his interest. “I concentrate on the sporting aspect. We don't know what will happen, the track is not very interesting and exciting. There are few high-speed corners, it seems that there is also little grip. But,” he says, “ we go with the flow . All races are important and I do my best. But,” he adds, “it is.”
“If you ask me something, I'm not going to fake it . I always say what I think, whether something is good or not good.

“I understand that they want to grow in America. You can look at it from two sides: sporty and businesslike. I understand them (FOM), but I look at it from a sporting point of view. They are the shareholders and can do whatever they want. If I were the owner, I might do this too. If someone wants to go in this direction, more show, we have to accept that. Let's wait and see how long fans like this.”

Verstappen emphasizes that he obviously just wants to win, street race and show number or not. “All races are important, I do my best. There's no problem, it's just not my thing.” He also finds the timing of the event and its place on the calendar remarkable. Next week the F1 community will fly on to the final event in Abu Dhabi, creating a twelve-hour time difference after a long flight. “Almost a day's difference: I don't understand that at the end of an exhausting season. After Brazil I tried to get used to the time zone here a bit by going to bed late. That's quite tough, you have to push yourself through it.”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Verstappen felt like “a clown” at glitzy Las Vegas F1 opening ceremony

The drivers at the opening ceremony

Along with a drone show and musical performances, the event included a section during which the drivers emerged from giant boxes on the pit straight and were introduced to the crowd.

Verstappen, who also opted to miss a later VIP event at the Wynn’s hotel complex that F1 boss Stefano Domenicali asked all the drivers to attend, made it clear that he is not enjoying the Las Vegas experience thus far.

"For me you can all skip these things," the Red Bull driver said when asked about the ceremony. "It's not about the singer, it's just standing up there, you look like a clown."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... /10546914/

Image..Image
The Power of Dreams!

Sofa King
Sofa King

To be fair, he gets $50 million a year to do this and F1 needs to continue growing to help pay that.
Wouter wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 10:48
Verstappen felt like “a clown” at glitzy Las Vegas F1 opening ceremony

The drivers at the opening ceremony

Along with a drone show and musical performances, the event included a section during which the drivers emerged from giant boxes on the pit straight and were introduced to the crowd.

Verstappen, who also opted to miss a later VIP event at the Wynn’s hotel complex that F1 boss Stefano Domenicali asked all the drivers to attend, made it clear that he is not enjoying the Las Vegas experience thus far.

"For me you can all skip these things," the Red Bull driver said when asked about the ceremony. "It's not about the singer, it's just standing up there, you look like a clown."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... /10546914/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_CMnPIXwAA ... name=small ..https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_CKiwmXoAA ... me=360x360

organic

https://formu1a.uno/anteprima-gp-las-ve ... in-nevada/
The aerodynamic load will not be required so much to navigate the bends, but more to allow the cars to bring the tires into the correct operating window , which will also cool down from one corner to the next given the little stress required by low speed corners. This detail could favor McLaren, very capable of bringing the tires to the window even before the substantial updates (as seen in Spain), Williams has also shown flashes of this characteristic, while Ferrari is among those who could struggle to bring the tires to the window in “non-ideal” conditions like those we will see.
Pirelli state that " the asphalt will be a mix between the city road surface , particularly on the Strip, and parts totally resurfaced for the occasion, thus adding a further unknown."
the rubberization of the asphalt will not be helped by support categories .
Throw in the temperatures, the lack of knowledge of the circuit, the peakiness of the C4 tyre..

Interestingly Duchessa and Perez have both said this weekend it will be important to "keep the tyres alive"

Duchessa:
The challenge will be to use the tires as 'as little as possible'. Many doubts about the aero config, the engineers will choose after free practice
Perez:
"... it will be very demanding to keep the tire alive throughout the lap, it does not allow for mistakes."

chrisc90

Sofa King wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 11:58
To be fair, he gets $50 million a year to do this and F1 needs to continue growing to help pay that.

Nah, there are 20-odd other races on the calendar that don’t have stupid intros like that and they manage just fine.

I’m sure Max doesn’t need the further growth of F1 to support the wage he gets.

Tzk
Tzk

Sofa King wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 11:58
Just a classic Verstappen. The only thing he cares about is driving and ultimately winning. Other drivers are probably thinking alike, they just tell that to the press/public.

SiLo

99% show 1% sporting event is what LM dream of.
Felipe Baby!

Juzh

SiLo wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 12:36
Based on poor grandstand attendance for driver presentation i'd say this wont work out.

SiLo

Juzh wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 12:59
SiLo wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 12:36
Based on poor grandstand attendance for driver presentation i'd say this wont work out.
That might be linked more to ridiculous ticket prices than a shoddy show, but it's probably a bit of both. People usually want to see racing, not drivers paraded around as if its a privilege to see them just standing there.
Felipe Baby!

chrisc90

Got to consider that probably 95% at least of spectators to a F1 event know what the drivers look like aswell.

There is literally no reason to show them off to a crowd of, “oh look, here’s driver X from team X. Give him a massive cheer”

Cringeworthy

organic

Chief race engineer of AT talks about how they've noticed that the surface has a lot of bitumen cover and is a recently laid surface. This combination has typically meant a very low grip surface in the past

Also talks about how the curbs are minimal - many are just painted. He says the curbing won't really affect the setup.