2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I don’t think 3rd in WCC is optimistic, it seems to be the most likely outcome if anything.

Mercedes are running like headless chickens, and Aston only have one reliable driver.

Emag
Emag

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:02
I don’t think 3rd in WCC is optimistic, it seems to be the most likely outcome if anything.

Mercedes are running like headless chickens, and Aston only have one reliable driver.
I dont want to discount Mercedes out fully because while it is true they look a bit clueless at the moment, there is a chance they find their mojo and somehow translate this latent potential they claim the car has into actual pace. Then it might pose some issues for McLaren because the weakness this car has will hurt them for 90% of the calendar. It would ironically be better for them to have an inverse of their current strengths/weaknesses in the long run (kind of like Ferrari last year).

And the only reason I maintain cautious is because Stella said that they probably will need the entire year to address the car's problems. Sure, by the end of the season they could be up there, but if the rest of the year you're dropping points, it might not make a difference.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Emag wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:32
https://x.com/SmilexTech/status/1777995816117964956

Miami upgrades wont be enough to catch Ferrari according to Stella.

I am of the opinion that Ferrari is not beatable this year to be honest. They started with a balanced car that is good everywhere and if anything, they will probably be battleing it out with RedBull soon.

McLaren has crippling weakness which will take a long time to address. This season, 3rd in the constructors is the more realistic (optimistic) result for McLaren.
Mclaren tends to be painfully pessimistic though.

Emag
Emag

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 17:34
Emag wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:32
https://x.com/SmilexTech/status/1777995816117964956

Miami upgrades wont be enough to catch Ferrari according to Stella.

I am of the opinion that Ferrari is not beatable this year to be honest. They started with a balanced car that is good everywhere and if anything, they will probably be battleing it out with RedBull soon.

McLaren has crippling weakness which will take a long time to address. This season, 3rd in the constructors is the more realistic (optimistic) result for McLaren.
Mclaren tends to be painfully pessimistic though.
That's fair but things dont often magically change in F1. They take time.

Last year it seemed like McLaren came out of nowhere, but in reality they had been working on a complete redesign of the car for quite a long time up until Austria.

This year, there's nothing to suggest there's something big of the same magnitude coming (at least not in just one step).

I would be very surprised if they pull a silver bullet which solves their inherent weaknesses in a "bolt-on" fashion.

It will take time and in that time, it's up to Ferrari to drop points (so far they've been operating at a high level tbh), because McLaren wont be able to take it away from them on pure pace until they sort out the problems.

4 different tracks and Ferrari is very competitive on all of them, whereas McLaren had a spike in Australia while suffering various degrees of dropoff on the other tracks with Bahrain being the worst.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

No outlet reporting on the scope of the upgrades, what parts to expect etc?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 00:24
No outlet reporting on the scope of the upgrades, what parts to expect etc?
Stella said it’s a full package, including floor, and every aero surface would change. He said the individual components wouldn’t work on their own, which is why they have to wait for all parts to be completed

mwillems

I would assume that when Stella talks about catching Ferrari, he refers to the Delta between the two manufacturers respective big upgrades. Or at least I would hope. It feels like we are only a small amount behind Ferrari per lap, 2-3 tenths at Suzuka in the Race. Whether the first upgrade is enough to bridge that initial gap, I'm not sure, I hope so. But Ferrari will likely bring some time very soon too, hence it is that Delts between the upgrades which is most important.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 18:25
I would assume that when Stella talks about catching Ferrari, he refers to the Delta between the two manufacturers respective big upgrades. Or at least I would hope. It feels like we are only a small amount behind Ferrari per lap, 2-3 tenths at Suzuka in the Race. Whether the first upgrade is enough to bridge that initial gap, I'm not sure, I hope so. But Ferrari will likely bring some time very soon too, hence it is that Delts between the upgrades which is most important.
Mclaren has a little bit more windtunnel time so in theory the opportunity is there to close in on the others after upgrades. It is what the regulations were designed to do. Since Stella is naturally cautious with predictions, I don't tend to draw any concrete conclusions from his statements.

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 19:45
mwillems wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 18:25
Mclaren has a little bit more windtunnel time so in theory the opportunity is there to close in on the others after upgrades. It is what the regulations were designed to do. Since Stella is naturally cautious with predictions, I don't tend to draw any concrete conclusions from his statements.
Yes I agree. Better to wait and see what they bring and what it does. They still feel they have the trajectory from last year but they will be quite wary of what the others can bring to the table which is why Stella is being cautious.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

Stella was similarly very cautiously optimistic on the upgrades and we all saw what happened. Only Mika let the cat out of the bag early. What is Mika saying about this year and what is to come?

EDIT: and then there is this...
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... iKwNtR6XUO

mwillems

I'm always wary of the quotes not printed, it's why I like those very long full interviews that tend to appear on twitter.

Stella is echoing what has been said, Ferrari is only a few tenths away and well within reach. We will likely be beaten by Ferrari at China even if we brought the upgrades there. But hopefully it removes a little bit of the deficit so that the cars strengths are not eroded so much at tracks like Japan, widening the range of tracks we can perform well at.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Macklaren wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 18:57
Stella was similarly very cautiously optimistic on the upgrades and we all saw what happened. Only Mika let the cat out of the bag early. What is Mika saying about this year and what is to come?

EDIT: and then there is this...
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... iKwNtR6XUO
Someone help me please. In the last paragraph in the link Stella says:
‘Then, if we deliver the same kind of developments we delivered last race, then why not think about winning races this year.’

What developments did they bring last race??
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

CjC wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 19:54

‘Then, if we deliver the same kind of developments we delivered last race, then why not think about winning races this year.’

I dont think he meant car developments. I think he meant with the upgrades bolted on, if the drivers can perform like they did in Japan (outperforming in quali) we can contend for the win.

I think...it is clunky phrasing. there was no upgrades in Suzuka

Mansell89
Mansell89

I think it’s an article typo or a misspeak- I assume he means last season.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 20:15
CjC wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 19:54

I dont think he meant car developments. I think he meant with the upgrades bolted on, if the drivers can perform like they did in Japan (outperforming in quali) we can contend for the win.

I think...it is clunky phrasing. there was no upgrades in Suzuka
It's a typo in the report, he's referring to last years developments.

-Bandit