Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes GP W02

New cooling duct? hmm any pics?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

yener

Raptor22 wrote:Michael worked on race set up while Nico is workingon quaifying set up.
This also explains why generally Nico is quicker than Michael in Qualifying but Michael generally has better race pace but not track position.

Merc could be the spoiler in the pack for this weekend. I would not be surprised to see both Merc's in the top 4.
This is BS. Why dont they prepare michael's car for Qualifying setup and always Nico's one? I think in Monaco you only have to concentrate on quali because it's almost impossible to take over.
Maybe the crash in the first practice explains why he is so much slower.............................................................................
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Yups
Yups

Raptor22 wrote:Michael worked on race set up while Nico is workingon quaifying set up.
This also explains why generally Nico is quicker than Michael in Qualifying but Michael generally has better race pace but not track position.
Do you have a source? I bet not because it's rubbish.

aral
aral

This is getting very tiring, Week after week, posters are claiming "this week, Merc will be the spoilers in the pack. This week Merc will be fighting for the win...etc". Yet it never happens. Then we have the "radical up-dates", again without foundation. Why not wait until we can actually see them being competitive, and then begin the hyperbole?

Med4224

yener wrote:

Merc could be the spoiler in the pack for this weekend. I would not be surprised to see both Merc's in the top 4.
This is BS. Why dont they prepare michael's car for Qualifying setup and always Nico's one? I think in Monaco you only have to concentrate on quali because it's almost impossible to take over.
Maybe the crash in the first practice explains why he is so much slower.............................................................................
I qutie distinctively remember Michael qualifying 24th in Monaco and overtaking about 12 cars or so and finishing 5th or 6th

overtaking is almost impossible, true, for other drivers maybe

not to mention this years tyre situation...
but no, they were working on the same things probably, their runs and times were very similar
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

dren

gilgen wrote:This is getting very tiring, Week after week, posters are claiming "this week, Merc will be the spoilers in the pack. This week Merc will be fighting for the win...etc". Yet it never happens. Then we have the "radical up-dates", again without foundation. Why not wait until we can actually see them being competitive, and then begin the hyperbole?
I agree, but then again this is Monaco. Last year they were quick there. I expect them to be this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nico on the second row. I think he may be able to get a podium or top 5.
Honda!

Holm86

n smikle wrote:New cooling duct? hmm any pics?
Look a few pages back?

atanatizante

Ferraripilot wrote:
n smikle wrote:
roadwarrior wrote:One thing that concerns me is with Michael, that when ever you get any on board shots of him you can always hear him spinning the rear wheels out of slow corners and sometimes even hitting the limiter. I don't know if Nico is doing this too and it's it's lack of grip from Merc or that Michael is being too aggressive on the throttle. Surely if it's Michael, his engineers would be telling him of the problem so he can improve - no? But certainly compared to other teams like MCL and RB they don't seem to get as much wheel spin out of the slower corners.
That or Michael's setup window is smaller than what Nico requires to have a *right* car. Michael's line is more aggressive which I believe is the cause of his small setup window.
I just find it odd that Michael and his engineers haven't done more to try resolve this. Surely all the wheel spin is loosing him time out of each corner. Or perhaps not. I guess you need to see the telemetry overlays to know for sure. One thing is for sure and that is that Michael seems to have more setup problems than Nico. Michael's car always looks more unbalanced. I think a problem with the Merc is the small sweet spot. It seems to be very sensitive to changes in track characteristics.
In Ferrari days they were working to build a car around Michael style of driving ... nowadays is all upside down: he is working around the car! Unfortunately from a driver`s point of view it`s very, very hard to change your driving style at this age ... He is trying to but is so hard and the results are too weak ... In conclusion, in this F1 environment, without a car suited to his likings he couldn`t show us the best of his driving skills.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

yener

I qutie distinctively remember Michael qualifying 24th in Monaco and overtaking about 12 cars or so and finishing 5th or 6th

not to mention this years tyre situation...
but no, they were working on the same things probably, their runs and times were very similar[/quote]

Nico was 1 second faster than Michael in FP2. Mercedes is not doing a bad job to be honest, but since Michael is always under Nico in FP and Quali sessions they look slow.

Mercedes has to find something to win at least 0,5 seconds. Minor updates wont work anymore, because all the teams bring updates and progress every single race.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

zgred

JohnsonsEvilTwin

gilgen wrote:This is getting very tiring, Week after week, posters are claiming "this week, Merc will be the spoilers in the pack. This week Merc will be fighting for the win...etc". Yet it never happens. Then we have the "radical up-dates", again without foundation. Why not wait until we can actually see them being competitive, and then begin the hyperbole?
Can you please point me to where any of Mercedes GP team members have actually come out and said a "radical" update was due?
Haug and Brawn have both said they have ideas in the pipeline. Every team has,
even HRT.

Wether those updates give time or not is another matter. Mercedes are closer to Mclaren and Ferrari than they where a year ago, but around the same deficit to planet Red Bull, who possess a genius and 200 more staff than Mercedes as well as 5 years more experience at working their way.
If Mercedes continue to invest as they have they will get better, and the W02 has led a race this year on merit lest we forget, and indeed has beaten both a Mclaren and a Ferrari in a fair fight on occasion.

So far I would say that is progress over the W01, although its obviously not to the standard of the silver arrows.

At Monaco I expected them to be trashed by the Renaults, that hasnt happened and we have seen The Mercedes of Rosberg look very racy indeed. There is no disgrace in what Mercedes have achieved so far.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

The difference this year is that the updates they bring are actually productive. Last year they brought updates and went backwards or they did nothing. MB has definitely made a step this year. However their updates this season do need to be major or they will not be competitive. For instance Mclaren brought some 10-12 updates and are simply on fire regarding this year's arms race with Red Bull.

boci
boci

Why is the cooling so bad on this car? Not even HRT / Lotus have to cut up their whole bodywork to cool the car.

Pierce89

Med4224 wrote:
yener wrote:

That was Alonso last year :wink:
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

]
roadwarrior wrote:One thing that concerns me is with Michael, that when ever you get any on board shots of him you can always hear him spinning the rear wheels out of slow corners and sometimes even hitting the limiter. I don't know if Nico is doing this too and it's it's lack of grip from Merc or that Michael is being too aggressive on the throttle. Surely if it's Michael, his engineers would be telling him of the problem so he can improve - no? But certainly compared to other teams like MCL and RB they don't seem to get as much wheel spin out of the slower corners.
This isn't tha car:
That or Michael's setup window is smaller than what Nico requires to have a *right* car. Michael's line is more aggressive which I believe is the cause of his small setup window.[/quote]
I just find it odd that Michael and his engineers haven't done more to try resolve this. Surely all the wheel spin is loosing him time out of each corner. Or perhaps not. I guess you need to see the telemetry overlays to know for sure. One thing is for sure and that is that Michael seems to have more setup problems than Nico. Michael's car always looks more unbalanced. I think a problem with the Merc is the small sweet spot. It seems to be very sensitive to changes in track characteristics.[/quote]

In Ferrari days they were working to build a car around Michael style of driving ... nowadays is all upside down: he is working around the car! Unfortunately from a driver`s point of view it`s very, very hard to change your driving style at this age ... He is trying to but is so hard and the results are too weak ... In conclusion, in this F1 environment, without a car suited to his likings he couldn`t show us the best of his driving skills.[/quote]
bahahahahaha :wtf:
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher