2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
timbo
timbo

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

xpensive wrote:
timbo wrote: ...
And again, you're setting an arbitrary time interval. The regulations have no word on that. It's up to Charlie and TWG to discuss. So you can't dismiss any idea just yet.
You're trolling right? Either that or you've been incommunicado for the past year and are confused by the flow-unit, kg/h?
Haven't you seen a hole which is not a hole or test which is not a test or brake ducts which generate downforce acting directly on sprung mass?
Is there any direct, formal quote on the interpretation?

xpensive
xpensive

timbo wrote: ...
Is there any direct, formal quote on the interpretation?
No need for, only a conspiracy-theorist or engineer with an alternative agenda would misinterpret this;

5.1.4 Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/h.
5.1.5 Below 10500rpm the fuel mass flow must not exceed Q (kg/h) = 0.009 N(rpm)+ 5.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:No need for, only a conspiracy-theorist or engineer with an alternative agenda would misinterpret this;
How about lawyer?

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

WilliamsF1 wrote: The sensor uses Gill’s proven ultrasonic measurement technology to detect bi-directional fuel flow rate to 0.25% accuracy in real time
now that's useful information !
0.25% of a 300 km race distance seems quite a lot
this is what I have been talking about

xpensive
xpensive

Tommy Cookers wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote: The sensor uses Gill’s proven ultrasonic measurement technology to detect bi-directional fuel flow rate to 0.25% accuracy in real time
For crying out loud, it measures flow rate in real time, not accumulated volume.

+/- 0.25% of 27.8 g/sec is +/- 0.07 g/sec.

The performance difference between the same engines can be much more than that.

rjsa
rjsa

WhiteBlue wrote:
rjsa wrote:Arguing semantics here imho. Flow means speed. The rule says flow, not average flow over one,ten or one hundred seconds. Just flow.
I agree with that interpretation.

Guys, if you see me and WB agreeing on something regarding these engine rules you can assume it's right.

Right, WB? :wink:

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:
For crying out loud, it measures flow rate in real time, not accumulated volume.
Halleluya, Amen!
rjsa wrote:Guys, if you see me and WB agreeing on something regarding these engine rules you can assume it's right.
Right, WB? :wink:
Yep!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

djos

I have have to agree with WB et all, these rules don't leave any wriggle room.
"In downforce we trust"

wuzak
wuzak

xpensive wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:

Or, to put it another way, 100kg of fuel for race distance. 0.25% of 100kg is 0.25kg. ~11.5MJ of fuel energy. Roughly 2kW of fuel "power" over the race. Less than 1kW extra at the engine.

ringo

wuzak wrote:As regards the 3.5 bar (abs) manifold pressure Renault have put forward, didn't the Honda RA168E run at 3.5 bar (abs) - 2.5 bar boost - for the 1988 season achieving 680hp @ 12,000rpm?
Well if you check the fuel mass flow rate at that power level you will see why these engine's today will be different.
Compare whatever that number is to the 100kg/hr.
For Sure!!

FW17

WhiteBlue wrote: If we want to integrate over at least five events we would take a measurement 50 times per second which would give us an interval of 20 ms. That is a very simple task for the bus system and for the digital interface of the flow sensor.
WilliamsF1 wrote: The sensor features a newly-developed electronic platform, which integrates the latest FPGA technology capable of measuring flow rate up to 4000 times a second. In addition to a digital output, a 0-5V analogue output is provided across the calibrated flow range.
Why do 50 measures a second when you can do 4000?

WhiteBlue

WilliamsF1 wrote:Why do 50 measures a second when you can do 4000?
I already explained that point. If you do such short intervalls you do get false readings. You catch zero flow and high flow rates that apply only for sub milliseconds when the injectors pulse or block the flow. You avoid that by using the cumulative funktion of the sensor with the longer intervalls.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

ringo wrote:
wuzak wrote:As regards the 3.5 bar (abs) manifold pressure Renault have put forward, didn't the Honda RA168E run at 3.5 bar (abs) - 2.5 bar boost - for the 1988 season achieving 680hp @ 12,000rpm?
Well if you check the fuel mass flow rate at that power level you will see why these engine's today will be different.
In 1988 it was 2.5 Bar abs, the thinking was that 2.5 times 1500 cc volume would be an even match for the 3500 cc atmos.

Honda proved the FIA wrong, but with 27.8 g/sec for 2014, I doubt if they will need much more than 2.0 abs at 10500 rpm.

WhiteBlue

ringo wrote:
Source: http://www.grandprixengines.co.uk/Egs_6 ... _Honda.pdf

Expensive is quite correct that the waste gate pressure was 2.5 bar. The engine had an R rating of 611 bhp or 455.6 kW. The consumption was 284 g/kW.h. That results to a mass flow of 35.94 g/s of the Toluene fuel, which is not comparable with racing petrol.

The source also says that the brake thermal efficiency was 30.6%. With this value we get a fuel energy flow of 1489 kW. If we divide this by 46 kJ/kg for petrol we arrive at a substitute petrol fuel flow of 32.4 g/s. That is just 16.6% more than the 2014 F1 fuel mass flow rate. Quite an impressive achievement for 1988. Part of that success was the fuel that allowed a compression ratio of 9.4. The other important factor was the design of the turbo with ceramic materials for the turbine rotor and the bearings allowing 1000°C and giving very low inertia compared to steel. Hence the driveability was excellent for a late eighties turbo engine.

The Honda engine had a red line of 13.000 rpm and max power at 12.500. So it was considerably higher revving than we expect the 2014 F1 engines to run. I do agree with X that Renault do not need 3.5 bar to run at peak power. But one can speculate that they will perhaps have a safety car setting with ultra high boost and very low rpms. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Unless you deliberately risk to under fuel the car any fuel saving in a safety car period gives you no benefits in 2014. You cannot burn the excess fuel that you save. So this 3.5 bar is a red herring to me.

matt21

X and I had the discussion 50 pages ago.
matt21 wrote: The max fuel flow of 100 kg/hr equals 1470 kg of air per hour with an AFR of 1.
For maximum power you have an AFR of around 0.9, what equals 1323 kg/hr of air.

This is around 1100 m³/hr or 18.4 m³/min. or in other words really a lot at max rpm.

With 1 bar absolute you can do 11.25 m³/min at 15.000 rpm.
So if I calculate 18.4/11.25 I come to around 1.6 bar absolute.

Edit: Please note that this calculation is based on the same charge air temperature for both cases. If you raise the temperature the pressure will also rise.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/120615/n3zs99eq.jpg
I thought BSFC of the RA168E was 0.272 kg/kW*h at it´s best. This would lead to around 500 hp with the 2014 max fuel flow.