COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

strad

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Now that it's lookin good they want to take credit. HAHAHAHA
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Mr Alcatraz

strad wrote:Now that it's lookin good they want to take credit. HAHAHAHA
Did you notice that one of them said that they don't know how to build a Football Stadium in Texas.
Tilke disconnected?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wJNpWgss8
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
Did you notice that one of them said that they don't know how to build a Football Stadium in Texas.
Tilke disconnected?????
I think he was saying Tilke is here to consult for building an F1 track, because that's what they do, but they wouldn't be much use for building a football stadium here.

I don't think he was saying we don't know how to build football stadiums, like this one across town (which features the biggest seating capacity in the state).

FWIW, I don't think MRA had ever built a stadium prior to this. HKS, which has built huge stadiums internationally, including Cowboys Stadium, was retained early on but now I don't know what they were allowed to do here.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 14 Sep 2012, 20:36, edited 4 times in total.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

strad

Come on Hairy...if there's one thing we can build, it's sports stadiums, and Tilke hasn't built a decent track yet. Thank God they didn't have a hand in the layout of the track....It would have been flat and had a kink before and ruining any passing opportunities.
edit
you snuck a post in on me Hairy.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:Come on Hairy...if there's one thing we can build, it's sports stadiums, and Tilke hasn't built a decent track yet. Thank God they didn't have a hand in the layout of the track....It would have been flat and had a kink before and ruining any passing opportunities.
edit
you snuck a post in on me Hairy.
Haha...yeah, I think I was editing while you were posting.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

FWIW, I don't think MRA had ever built a stadium prior to this. HKS, which has built huge stadiums internationally, including Cowboys Stadium, was retained early on but now I don't know what they were allowed to do here.
I just took a quick look at HKS's website to see which stadiums they've built or renovated:

Cowboys Stadium
Liverpool FC Stadium
Lucas Oil Stadium
Santos FC Stadium, Sao Paolo
Dodger Stadium
American Airlines Center
Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Texas Christian University Amon Carter Football Stadium
U.S. Cellular Field (Comiskey Park)
Dell Diamond (just North of Austin in Round Rock)

There are a lot more, and take a look at some of the other buildings they've done. Wow. Maybe they did the pit building here. Not sure.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

hairy_scotsman wrote:
I just took a quick look at HKS's website to see which stadiums they've built or renovated:

Cowboys Stadium
Liverpool FC Stadium
Lucas Oil Stadium
Dodger Stadium
American Airlines Center

There are a lot more, and take a look at some of the other buildings they've done. Wow. Maybe they did the pit building here. Not sure.
They didn't build the Liverppol FC stadium, they designed the proposed new stadium at a different site in the early 2000s but that project has never materialised.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Cold Fussion wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

Cowboys Stadium
Liverpool FC Stadium
Lucas Oil Stadium
Dodger Stadium
American Airlines Center

They didn't build the Liverppol FC stadium, they designed the proposed new stadium at a different site in the early 2000s but that project has never materialised.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't so sure about that one looking at it later.

bhall
bhall

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:Did you notice that one of them said that they don't know how to build a Football Stadium in Texas.
Tilke disconnected?????
I think he was saying Tilke is here to consult for building an F1 track, because that's what they do, but they wouldn't be much use for building a football stadium here.

I don't think he was saying we don't know how to build football stadiums, like this one across town (which features the biggest seating capacity in the state).
Indeed. He stated his lack of knowledge/experience about football stadium construction as an analogy to CotA's and the construction company's lack of knowledge/experience about Formula One circuit construction to explain his company's role as consultants.

Mr Alcatraz

bhallg2k wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:Did you notice that one of them said that they don't know how to build a Football Stadium in Texas.
Tilke disconnected?????

Indeed. He stated his lack of knowledge/experience about football stadium construction as an analogy to CotA's and the construction company's lack of knowledge/experience about Formula One circuit construction to explain his company's role as consultants.
That is no reason to let facts get in the way of good hyperbole when speaking of Tilke. :wink:
I acquiesce after re reading with my BP below stage two hypertension. :? [-o<
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

bhall
bhall

I agree with that, too. Though his fingerprints are all over many contemporary F1 circuits, I think only one - Istanbul Park - is a bona fide credit to his (and his firm's) abilities. To that end, I think he deserves even the unnecessary criticism.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

60 days to go until FP1. Took some photos yesterday after the rain:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

The south end of the circuit, from the west on McAngus Road...

Paving equipment waiting for dry weather so they can resume the final layer...

Parking Lot N...

Entrance to Lots L & M. We wanted to get some shots from Mr. Haywood's land as usual, but there was no way...

Lot M...

Lot P...

Turn 11...

xpensive
xpensive

hairy_scotsman wrote:60 days to go until FP1.
Aha, and when is the FIA-inspection supposed to take place?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

xpensive wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:60 days to go until FP1.
Aha, and when is the FIA-inspection supposed to take place?
I believe the next one is scheduled for the 25th.

mantikos
mantikos

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:
Tilke disconnected?????

Sorry, that is NOT the biggest stadium in the state - the biggest stadium in the state and the biggest indoor stadium in the world is Cowboys Stadium in DFW. The TCU Amon G. Carter stadium will knock your socks off too if you want a well built classy stadium.