Front wing - Vortex generators

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Re: Front wing - Vortex generators

1. They prevent spanwise flow under the 1st wing element - improving Cp underneath the 1st wing element.

2. Due to the spanwise pressure differential across the wing, the trailing edge will result in some rollup (hence: vortices). These will help ensure attachment on the 2nd wing element - more downforce on 2nd element and less wake effects for the diffuser later. The vortices will long since have burst by the time the flow reaches the diffuser.

3. These vortices will be directed toward the outside of the wheel; their presence should help guide more flow straight out beyond the wheel as well. Particularly when there is a steering angle on the outer wheel. This means yet more downforce from both 1st and 2nd wing elements.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

kilcoo316

To help me learn, do you have as source of your knowledge on these front wing vortices?

Brian

donskar
donskar

Vortex generators are also used on humble production cars -- the 2012 Toyota Camry mounts them on the outside mirror mounts and on the side of the rear tail lights.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

hardingfv32 wrote:To help me learn, do you have as source of your knowledge on these front wing vortices?

Nothing bar qualifications and years of experience.

For point 1 - they'll act like any wing fence (i.e. MiG-15).

For point 2 - see any wing end-plate. Same principle.

For point 3 - thats wisdom of what the aero-heads are trying to do.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

donskar wrote:Vortex generators are also used on humble production cars -- the 2012 Toyota Camry mounts them on the outside mirror mounts and on the side of the rear tail lights.
More famously used on the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution on the roof

donskar
donskar

NoDivergence wrote:
donskar wrote:Vortex generators are also used on humble production cars -- the 2012 Toyota Camry mounts them on the outside mirror mounts and on the side of the rear tail lights.
More famously used on the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution on the roof
True, but the Evo is far from humble! :lol:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

shelly
shelly

@nodivergence: kilkoo is referring to different vortex generators to what you mention.

The roof mounted mitsubishi vortex generators acted on the boundary layer height scale, to help the flow staying attached across the trasition between roof and rear windscreen. kilkoo is referring instead to the strakes under the wing, which generate much bigger vortices with the aims he has described.

On the front wing also some vortices do develop without specific vortex generating surfaces, as I posted in the picture above in this thread. This vortices are also what Gordon McCabe was addressing in the post I provided the link to.

Exploitation of vortices is key in current f1 aerodynamics: a vortex flowing under a downward facing surface gives you downforce
twitter: @armchair_aero