Tire Heat

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
strad

Re: Tire Heat

hmmmmmmmm thanks stez90. not sure there is any more info though. glad to have the vids thanks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

marcush.
marcush.

so where is the problem? I would have been surprised if williams or Force india would have had no issue in present all detail of the thermal imaging so using a awkward range not representing the whole picture is just a normal thing when you are
in fear of having some sensitive information passed to the opposition...it´s a bit like Lewis twittering some data plots....is it sensitive -yes.does it help the opposition ? forget it .You see the result of a multivariable input leading to a crash ...

one example of what you can do with software to fiddle an infrared (grey!) video into a thermogrphy -color- the fancy colors are a processing thing- so of course you can "mend" it but the general information is present.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRJtKOYqa-w[/youtube]

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Today's thermal images of Massa's rear tyres showed a different temperature range IMO. Let's wait for the videos to appear on youtube, i couldn't find a video so far.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

marcush.
marcush.

Blanchimont wrote:Today's thermal images of Massa's rear tyres showed a different temperature range IMO. Let's wait for the videos to appear on youtube, i couldn't find a video so far.
you don´t know how if the calibration parameters for the colors are the same from race to race and from team to team -i certainly would change this randomly for pictures intended for publication ... :wink:
You cannot compare the colors -as the coloring is a generic feature of the software - without all base information about the measuring setup all you can judge is what is happening in the videostream you are presented and try to correlate it with known parameters from that run -for example engine water temperature ,maximum allowable temperature for cf parts /or failure temperature of automotive paint systems...etc etc

strad

What do you think of the spot on the upright that Matchett thought was internal piping for hydraulics?
I don't think so,,,not the way that IF setup is working..I think it's heat coming off the rear wheel/tire...did you see the narrow yellow band coming off the tire at about that height?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

marcush.
marcush.

strad wrote:What do you think of the spot on the upright that Matchett thought was internal piping for hydraulics?
I don't think so,,,not the way that IF setup is working..I think it's heat coming off the rear wheel/tire...did you see the narrow yellow band coming off the tire at about that height?
Is the relevant capturing available here -I think most people do not know what you are talking about.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

The first three pictures show the front tyres of Alonso, the very first in the pit lane, the second at the end of the pits and the third during the first cornering.

The next images show Massa's rear on the track, first one is on the straight, the other two under braking/cornering/accelerating. Colder tyre areas are blue in this screens, then there is some lilac and finally orange/yellow.

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Here is the video, over 2 minutes of finest thermal imaging :)
Even the track surface gets brighter/warmer behind the car!

Edit:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14z09o_sing_auto
Last edited by Blanchimont on 21 Sep 2013, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

stez90
stez90

private video?

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Edit: Link to dailymotion now in my post above.

marcush.
marcush.

wow ,cool find ....thanks for sharing. :D

stez90
stez90

Massive sidewall heating under acceleration. Due only to traction stress or even exhaust flow at wide open throttle? :?:
Front wheels don't show that under braking stress.

strad

When I follow the link I see no thermal imaging :wtf:
Sir Stirling Moss

marcush.
marcush.

strad wrote:When I follow the link I see no thermal imaging :wtf:

:mrgreen: selective coloration -I told you so - :mrgreen: for me it´s very impressive coloration changes ....maybe i read too much into it? :wtf:

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Sorry, the link to Dailymotion is down!

Let's see for how long this video is available...

or download it here.